Post Your Breakdowns or Mishaps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one time i raced like hell to get my glass runabout on the trailer before dark and forgot to strap it down.went over some rr tracks at 30 mph.you can guess what happened next.thank god for good samaritans.it wasn't easy getting it back on the trailer.no major damage either,just roadrash along the keel. :oops:

Broken prop. (Aluminum.) Used trolling motor to get to a different ramp. Wife moved the truck/trailer to the new ramp. This ramp was not the best of ramps (low water level) and broke hub/tire off of axle! Luckily, I had spare axle at home. It was a looonnnggg day!

Improvements based on trouble on the water:
- rebuilt/repainted entire trailer
- I now have a stainless steel prop and a spare. I haven't learned my lesson completely as the spare is still in my garage! (Will find a spot for it this off season.)
- To eliminate dead main battery issues (and having to get TM battery and move to back) I installed a battery switch and ran wires back. I can now start off of either battery....or both.
- hand held marine radio
- weed wacker line to clear water hole

Shear pins and hte tools to replace them.
Spare prop in the truck, which I used on a guys weekend trip.
I always have three sources of power, main motor, trolling motor, and last resort a paddle.
i also keep spare spark plugs and the tools to change them.
Spare fuses and electrical tape.

I have replaced at least one shear pin a year for the past three years. Yep, I travel in shallow water, and I also beach my boat in my campsite. Shear pins are cheap, although brass ones are getting harder to find. I typically replace them on the lake.

Another thing I take with me everywhere I go, is the skills and knowledge to fix my motor. While it is much easier to repair things in the garage, that isn't where they break down.

I was out jug fishing one time about 10 yrs ago in my Grandpas old 1648 Lowe. The battery started acting up, but I was catching fish so I couldn't be bothered with batteries! Finally, when the spotlight dwindled to little more than the light given off by a lighter I decided I better head to the truck. Went to crank the electric start 30 horse Evinrude and nothing....after about an hour of trolling with what little juice I could muster and paddling like mad I made it back to the campgrounds where I had launched. Pulled the battery and drove 45 minutes to the nearest wal-mart and bought a new battery (the old one had been in there since the mid 1980's, so it served its time well). Drove back to the lake put the new battery in and headed back to my jugs. Caught 25 cats that night between 5-10 lbs and ended up with a new battery.....which did not fair as well as the last one, three trips and that battery crapped out and I bought an Interstate.
Jug fishing again about 4 yrs. ago with two buddies same boat and nailed a stump backing up to grab a jug. Ripped a blade off the prop and ended what was shaping up to be an epic night of jug fishing! It was mid September (waaaaay past prime jug fishing time in my book) and we put out 25 jugs at 7pm....by 7:30 we already have 15 fish in the boat and jugs still dancing all over the place! Man we could have fill the freezer that night if that prop hadn't busted up. We limped back to the boat ramp on a two bladed prop and I still catch hell about not having a backup prop on hand for the greatest night of jug fishing ever.....friends are great!
Chris

One more...the guy that bounced his runabout off the trailer made me think of this. I have had a 12 foot v-bow for years that I throw in the bed of my truck for shallow lakes and ponds I duck hunt. One year we were staying at my mother-in-laws during opening weekend of duck season so I had the old v-bow loaded up for a few days just sitting there strapped down. So when it came time to go, I never thought anything about checking the ratchet strap that was holding it down in the truck. Heading out of town hit some railroad tracks and hear an awful racket behind me. Turn around to see my 12 footer standing straight up in the center of park avenue and then almost in slow motion fall over bottom of the boat up. Decoys, battery box, shotgun shells, trolling motor, and that Interstate battery I talked about buying alllllll over the place! Luckily it was 3 am and no one was around. I quickly gathered what was salvageable and loaded it all up and got the heck out of town. Lost a few decoys, one battery box, possibly a few shotgun shells and that Interstate battery, which by the way looked strangely similar to a pancake. What had happened is that it had rained for three days and the nylon ratchet strap had stretched while sitting out there, so by the time I headed out to hunt it was just hanging there. Now days I check things over and over. And by the way, the second Interstate battery is still going strong....and looks nothing like a pancake.
Chris

Latest posts