Quitting smoking... again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragonman said:
How you holding up. Still cig free? My wife is on me about my smoking and the cost and my health. I am trying to cut back, 3 packs a day is a bit much and expensive.

Still no cigs! Wow, I couldn't afford your habit! I bought mine by the pack so figured roughly $150 a month. If I had your habit and quit, I'd be driving a new truck! lol

My health has a lot to do with it too. I was developing a pretty bad wheeze.

I quit a 2 pack a day habit on 2 different occasions in the past, for 6 months each time. The first time I started back over a stressful situation. The second time I was with a group of friends having a few drinks and told myself I could have just one. You can guess how that turned out. Those times I had used Nicoderm and Chantix to help me quit.

This time I quit cold turkey and have been quit for just over 2 months now. I'm still getting intermittent cravings for one about 3 times a day lately, but the craving only last about 2 seconds and then it's gone. It's not hard to deal with but very annoying. Hang in there and hopefully we'll both be successful.

parkerdog said:
Wow, I couldn't afford your habit!

To be honest I cant either, In the last week I have cut down to 2 packs +\-. If i can ween my self down to 1.5 a day and do that for a week or so I MIGHT try to quit again.

Congrats to you for sticking with it. =D> =D>

150 a month??.canadian cigs are 9.50 a pack. pack and a half a day ,30 days a month.over 400 bucks.now you know how i bought a new boat,and why i had incentive to quit :LOL2:

Yep, they are going up another dollar here in Illinois soon not sure what day. that will put name brand cigs at over $6.00 and and some of the lesser quality's at over $5.00. The wife wants to set a date to quit, not sure if Im ready yet. Still thinking on it.....

I remember taking puffs from my moms cigs when I was little, by 12 I was smoking a pack a week. at 16 it was a pack a day of American Eagles for a whopping $.99 / $1.05 with tax. Back then they sold cigs to anyone, No age requirement or may be it just was not enforced.

Dragonman said:
Yep, they are going up another dollar here in Illinois soon not sure what day. that will put name brand cigs at over $6.00 and and some of the lesser quality's at over $5.00. The wife wants to set a date to quit, not sure if Im ready yet. Still thinking on it.....

I remember taking puffs from my moms cigs when I was little, by 12 I was smoking a pack a week. at 16 it was a pack a day of American Eagles for a whopping $.99 / $1.05 with tax. Back then they sold cigs to anyone, No age requirement or may be it just was not enforced.

It was detassling corn that done me in! LOL I still remember the name of the guy that was our crew boss. He started me on the path by giving me a smoke every now and then when we would be standing around waiting for the rest of the people to get out of the field.

14 years old, who could say no? Wanted to look cool with the other guys! Marlboro reds. Then when I started driving at 16 it made it easier to get them and have a place to smoke, it was all over. Switched to salem lights menthols sometime in my 20's because a guy I rode to work with smoked them and kept a carton in his truck so if I run out I'd get a pack off of him so we wouldn't have to stop on the way home from work.

This last time it was marlboro light menthol because when I moved back home here and started again that's what my buddy smoked.

I even received some coupons for those the other day......How do they know???

bcbouy said:
150 a month??.canadian cigs are 9.50 a pack. pack and a half a day ,30 days a month.over 400 bucks.now you know how i bought a new boat,and why i had incentive to quit :LOL2:

$9.50? OUCH. The exchange rate is pretty close to even anymore too isn't it? Gotta fund that free health care somehow. There's still a tavern down the road from me that sells them out of a machine for $6.00. Didn't know anything about the increase that dragonman talked about so that will probably put a stop to that.

Is your packages still 20 in a pack?

I know my ex-wife had said that she thought cigarettes were cheaper here than Australia but she was used to buying them in packs of 50 though.

parkerdog said:
bcbouy said:

$9.50? OUCH. The exchange rate is pretty close to even anymore too isn't it? Gotta fund that free health care somehow. There's still a tavern down the road from me that sells them out of a machine for $6.00. Didn't know anything about the increase that dragonman talked about so that will probably put a stop to that.

Is your packages still 20 in a pack?

I know my ex-wife had said that she thought cigarettes were cheaper here than Australia but she was used to buying them in packs of 50 though.

I asked my wife about that tax and she said that it has not passed the state house yet. Sorry I did not mean to misinform you.

Still no smoking but it's been raining here today so I've been watching movies all day.

MAN, you just don't realize how many movies feature someone smoking and how good they make it look!!

Talk about making life difficult! LOL

Bought my brother the electric cigarette thing for Christmas. He loves it. Gives him something to do with his oral fixation and gives him that shot of nicotine. Health concerns were why I did it. Want him to be with us for a while longer and not drop dead around his current age (40). His boys need him and my boys and 6 month old daughter need their uncle.

Good luck man...I've quit several times, but I have come to realize that I will never be able to quit until I get out of the Army.. too stressful. Have you ever tried those E-cigs? a friend of mine bought one called "blue" and he never picked up another cig again. And you can actually get singles at places like walgreens to try them before you buy the whole kit

arcticwhiteGT said:
Good luck man...I've quit several times, but I have come to realize that I will never be able to quit until I get out of the Army.. too stressful. Have you ever tried those E-cigs? a friend of mine bought one called "blue" and he never picked up another cig again. And you can actually get singles at places like walgreens to try them before you buy the whole kit

I'm finding if I don't leave the house and stay away from people it helps! LOL

Seriously though I'm doing good. Cold turkey will be close to a month soon I think. I'm afraid I might not like the electric. and get used to the habit and just have a "couple regular" then I'd be right back where I was.

Hang in there Parkerdog, I did it 8 years ago, cold turkey, was not easy but after the first week it gets easier, then you only have to resist that occasional urge to take one, and it will happen, but, if you are lucky it will make you sick to your stomach as it does me. Getter done man, you can do this!!

How you doing?? Still not smoking? My wife has talked me into trying to quit again. Started the Chantix pill today. Her lure to get me to agree? The money we spend on smokes can be put in a new/used bigger boat fund 8) . Im going to give it a try. Wish us luck.

Dragonman said:
How you doing?? Still not smoking? My wife has talked me into trying to quit again. Started the Chantix pill today. Her lure to get me to agree? The money we spend on smokes can be put in a new/used bigger boat fund 8) . Im going to give it a try. Wish us luck.

Good Luck!

Knock on wood I seem to be doing good. I was around people smoking this weekend and it didn't bother me. I didn't even have the urge really.

The only thing saving me I suspect is that I don't drink anymore. I quit that back in Feb. sometime. The last time I had quit smoking was for six years and then I moved back here where I grew up and started running around with my old high school buddies drinking and it was "Hey, give me one of those!". Downside though is I am somewhat of a hermit now to stay away from them.!

It really is true when they say you have to change your habits and find replacements.

Now if I could just start eating better (healthier, less) I'd be a new man! LOL

I forgot to mention that back when I did my 6 year stint of no smoking I was going through a divorce and my incentive back then was ...."There was no way that $%#%^$ was going to get me smoking again!"

Hang in there guys, I know we can do this. I'm coming up on 3 months of smoke free this weekend. I've never managed to go more than 6 months before starting back in the past. I've also gained about 10 lbs so far but I figure I'll fight that battle once I'm sure I've won the current war. I've been surprised at how well things have gone since I did it cold turkey this time. I don't have any problems being around smokers but sitting here late at night on the computer can be tough some times. Just keep reminding yourself how much better you'll feel and all the money you can use for better causes.

Back in 1986 my family and I had breakfast in a diner left there got in the van and I lit up one cig then another one now I had one in each hand. I looked at the two cigs. opened the window through the two out plus the new pack and the lighter. I HAVEN'T MISSED THEM SINCE. Honest to God it scared the he-- out of me. Look at smoking as a DEATH SENTENCE. AL