Quitting smoking... again.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMichael said:
Hang in there guys, I know we can do this. I'm coming up on 3 months of smoke free this weekend. I've never managed to go more than 6 months before starting back in the past. I've also gained about 10 lbs so far but I figure I'll fight that battle once I'm sure I've won the current war. I've been surprised at how well things have gone since I did it cold turkey this time. I don't have any problems being around smokers but sitting here late at night on the computer can be tough some times. Just keep reminding yourself how much better you'll feel and all the money you can use for better causes.

My computer is in an upstairs room that gets warmer than the rest of the house when I'm not in it and the door is shut. Anyway, when I first come up here now it still has a faint odor of an ashtray and it's starting to bug me! Not to want a cigarette but just the nasty smell!

must be the year to give them up i 2 was doing 2 to 3 packs a day stoped in febuary .i sure would love to light one up right now get that feeling eevery now and then .longest i have gone without one in the past 40 years is 6 months hopefuly ill do better this time, i have a pack thats beeen open for 5 months that i carry with me if i lite up it will be one of the old dried out ones that make me sick .congrads to all that have given them up

hardwatergrampa said:
must be the year to give them up i 2 was doing 2 to 3 packs a day stoped in febuary .i sure would love to light one up right now get that feeling eevery now and then .longest i have gone without one in the past 40 years is 6 months hopefuly ill do better this time, i have a pack thats beeen open for 5 months that i carry with me if i lite up it will be one of the old dried out ones that make me sick .congrads to all that have given them up

I noticed your name and reminded me of my grandpa. Doc. told him to quit drinking and cut back on his cigarettes. He was able to quit the booze but best he could do on cigs was switch from camel no-filter to winstons. Sadly it was too little too late. Liver cancer got him.

How's everyone doing on the no smokes? I'm still cold turkey since Apr. 24th! I'm over the hump I think. Very rarely I'll get the desire for a cigarette but I fight it and remember how bad I was wheezing before.

My only concern now is that I had stopped before for 6 years and started back up. But no beers since feb. so that hopefully will take care of that trigger!

OK, no one answered back in August when I asked. How's the no smoking going for the guys that were quitting?

Thankfully I still haven't had one. I'm not even craving one (knock on wood).

Still haven't seen an excess of money though! LOL Makes me wonder how I afforded it before.

Anyone still on the wagon so to speak with me?

Hi, you can do it !, i quit more than 17 years ago...and i can tell you what helped me : I tried the worst smokes i could think of just to irritate myself....i started smoking menthol smokes...i hated them so much that after two packs i decided that was it for me me...back then smokes in Alberta (Canada) were nearly $4 for a pack,now i think they go for like $12 a 25 cigarettes pack (so i heard).
Good Luck and drop the stinky habit !
Dan

P.S. I heard that in Australia cigarettes will all be in a just plain white packaging with only a warning and a cancer related picture ! ...no more fancy packaging but cancerous lung,gums and throat pictures...yakk.

I quit March 4th so 8 months and counting and still hanging in there with ya parkerdog. The real urges to light one up have long gone but I still get these little rushes of a sort. It's like a short breeze blowing past you, where you get this sensation that makes you think about smoking but not really an urge to light one, and as fast as you get it, it's gone.

What differences have you noticed if any. First thing I noticed was the weight gain. LoL I also noticed I don't have any where near as bad a problem with getting winded when doing physical things. I've also noticed that for some strange reason, I sneeze a lot more than I ever did before quitting. I know that sounds strange but the only thing I can think is that maybe my smeller is more sensitive to things now that it's not stuffed up with nicotine and smoke residue. :lol:

P.S. I didn't see the update back in Aug or I would have responded then.

JMichael said:
I quit March 4th so 8 months and counting and still hanging in there with ya parkerdog. The real urges to light one up have long gone but I still get these little rushes of a sort. It's like a short breeze blowing past you, where you get this sensation that makes you think about smoking but not really an urge to light one, and as fast as you get it, it's gone.

What differences have you noticed if any. First thing I noticed was the weight gain. LoL I also noticed I don't have any where near as bad a problem with getting winded when doing physical things. I've also noticed that for some strange reason, I sneeze a lot more than I ever did before quitting. I know that sounds strange but the only thing I can think is that maybe my smeller is more sensitive to things now that it's not stuffed up with nicotine and smoke residue. :lol:

P.S. I didn't see the update back in Aug or I would have responded then.

I used to wheeze breathing in and out. That has gotten better which I'm pretty happy about and I'm not coughing as much trying to clear everything out.

Makes for a more pleasant morning when you start out the day NOT trying to cough out a lung! LOL

Now to work on the weight... sigh I feel like I've bought a fixer upper and remodeling on a budget.. lol

It'll be 15 years, end of this month, since I quit. I was 1.5 packs for 30 years and said I would quit when my first kid was born. Took me 10 years and sevearl attempts until, one day I just decieded I didn't want to feel that way anymore.

When you want to you will. And when you do it then, you'll likely never go back. Good luk and keep at it. 8)

Don't quit . . . if you thought it was such a good idea to start . . . stick with it! Quitters never win!

I doubt that there are very many smokers or ex smokers that started because they thought it was a good idea. Peer pressure gets the bulk of them started or they just thought it made them look cool at the time.

Well today is the official 1 year anniversary of when I quit smoking. It's been a struggle at times, but with each month that passes, it has gotten better. I find it amazing that I still get an urge to light one up on rare occasions. The feeling passes very quickly. So quick in fact that the only way I might possibly act on it would be if I had one between my lips and a lighter in my hand at the moment the urge hit. I hope all you have had as good or better success than I have.

After 45 years I quit in October. I've gained some weight, but I'm not coughing any more.

It was 45 years for me also Gillhunter. I gained 32 lbs over the last year but as of Jan this year I started working to try to take some or all of that back off. I've lost half of it so far. Besides not coughing any more I also don't have that rattling when I do a deep exhale and my sinus's are a lot clearer.

after a year food also tastes a lot better (or worse if you can't cook) its been over 5 years for me and i still get the craving every now and then but it goes as quick as it comes, but they get fewer and farther between.i really dislike the smell of a cig now.

bcbouy said:
after a year food also tastes a lot better (or worse if you can't cook) its been over 5 years for me and i still get the craving every now and then but it goes as quick as it comes, but they get fewer and farther between.i really dislike the smell of a cig now.

Same here. I've kind of quit going to the coffee shop in the morning because my clothes reek of cigarettes when I get home. Coffee shop also does duty as the bar in the little town down the road. The no smoking rules are pretty lax around here.

I've smoked or chewed for the last 10 years. I've quit smoking twice and chewing once. As of today I am 3 days without tobacco.

Bass n flats said:
I've smoked or chewed for the last 10 years. I've quit smoking twice and chewing once. As of today I am 3 days without tobacco.

It's hard but if I can do it anybody can! I'll have my year without April 24th.