Sea Bass? I See BASS!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
The January 26, 2008 Sea Bass trip was a great successes - we slaughtered them I am still kinda groggy and tired from reeling in monster dangerous killer sea bass all day, so i will just post a few pics and give the complete story tomorrow morning.

Stay Tuned

Attachments

• sea bass 2008 009.jpg
    sea bass 2008 009.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 867
  • sea bass 2008 020.jpg
    sea bass 2008 020.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 867
Well I'm glad to hear you caught fish, I just wish I could have been there. Thats a real nice one you got there Dave.

is that what they mean when they say chillin sea bass I have seen them on the menu at the restaurant but wasn't sure

Wayne

Very nice Dave. Good to see you guys killed it. Maybe we can have an exchange of fish sometime this week. I will take any meat not wanted.

Nice fish! That eel pose is disturbing to say the least :lol:

redbug said:
is that what they mean when they say chillin sea bass I have seen them on the menu at the restaurant but wasn't sure

Wayne

Chilean sea bass is a different fish and he's my left wing conservation rant about it. Chilean sea bass don't reach sexual maturity until they're 10 years old, the excessive harvesting of them is going to push them to a quick extinction...just say no.

sorry to rant! :D

What's that sticking out of the mouth in the last pic? Looks like a giant, mutilated thumb :shock:

I don't know whats it really is, I always thought it was the fish's stomach or some kinda air bladder. All I really know is it happens to the fish then you reel them up from deep water, some kind of pressure change or something.

SMDave said:
What's that sticking out of the mouth in the last pic? Looks like a giant, mutilated thumb :shock:

Dave has a huge thumb. :shock: Sometimes called "bass thumb" and he has caught a few... :D

Jake is right on the money actually..

When certain fish are brought up from great depths too quickly, their swim bladders, which normally control buoyancy, will over-inflate from rapid depressurization. A technique sometimes used on a fish that has "popped", involves using a needle or knife to poke a hole in the fish’s exposed swim bladder. Many times these fish can be released effectively if this is done the right way. For me though if I'm going out for 18 hours or so in the dead of winter, still with sea legs the next day, I'm eating the yummy fish! 8)

Here is the tale:

We departed from my house at 10:00 p.m. Friday, January 25, 2008 loaded with rods, reels, rigs and high expectations. Our boat was docked in Wildwood Crest, and due to depart at 2:00 a.m. Saturday, January 26, 2008. It was cold but we were warm with thoughts of winter pullage.

We arrived at the boat at Midnight, however, the clock in Leibs16's new truck was set one hour ahead, so I thought it was 1:00 a.m. I quickly woke Captain Todd who had to arrived hours before becuase the Cape May / Lewes Ferry stops running at 6:00 p.m. Captain Todd was not happy when we realized that it was an hour earlier. :oops:

After watching a few drunked morons stumble around the dock for an hour, we boarded the boat and managed to get some good sleeping spots! Within 15 minutes we were all asleep and remained that way for the 4 hour ride to the fishing grounds.

Here is Capt. Todd with Granny Binky:

sea_bass_2008_001.jpg

6 a.m. and the fishing begins. Within minutes I pulled in a nice double header of sea bass (I use two hook rigs so you can catch two at once). Leibs nails a real nice big guy and Randy B. also pulls a double. Captain Todd gets a bergall :lol:

Here you see the bent rods as several are on the fish:
sea_bass_2008_003.jpg

sea_bass_2008_002.jpg

We had steady action all day, and loads of fun to boot. The temps warms up nicely and I was able to fish all day without gloves.

Ethan finally catches a shark:
sea_bass_2008_006.jpg

sea_bass_2008_005.jpg

sea_bass_2008_010.jpg

sea_bass_2008_0111.jpg

We shared some apple pie with an eel:
sea_bass_2008_014.jpg
And gave it a kiss:

sea_bass_2008_008.jpg

Plenty of Sea Bass:

sea_bass_2008_017.jpg

sea_bass_2008_004.jpg

sea_bass_2008_019.jpg

sea_bass_2008_021.jpg

And at the end the cooler was filled to the brim:

sea_bass_2008_015.jpg

Oh, forgot to add this, the guy in the background trying to give Todd rabbit ears was a druken idiot

sea_bass_2008_001.jpg

Before we even got on the boat he approached me and started demanding information about where the boat was going, where the bathroom was and what type of bait was I going to supply. When I told him I had no idea he then responded with, "Well, you work here you should know." he wandered off after I carefully (and slowly) explained that I did not work here and i was waiting to board as a paying passenger.

Later in the trip we spotted him with an great big gash and Band-Aid on his nose - apparently he fell off his bunk (bench) during the ride out and landed on his beak! Too funny!

Latest posts