Seeking Anchor Recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriBull

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 12ft v-hull tiny, w/ 9.9 Yamaha on a fixed jack plate. I live in Florida and explore everywhere - rivers, lakes & Gulf of Mexico. I’m looking for suggestions for the best, most versatile, anchor system. Type, weight, material, line length, 1 or 2 anchors, chain/no chain, storage, tips, etc. All ideas welcome!

I like the vinyl coated river anchors attached to about 4ft of chain then to 100ft of anchor rope. I use a 8lb on my 1436 and a 15lb on my 2072. I keep a 2nd anchor on both for the stern and it comes in handy on windy days to stop from swaying . For stern anchors I just use anchor rope no chain and they are a couple lbs lighter than main anchors.

I like the vinyl coated river anchors attached to about 4ft of chain then to 100ft of anchor rope. I use a 8lb on my 1436 and a 15lb on my 2072. I keep a 2nd anchor on both for the stern and it comes in handy on windy days to stop from swaying . For stern anchors I just use anchor rope no chain and they are a couple lbs lighter than main anchors.
Thank you! Question - why no chain on the stern anchor?

All depends on what type of bottom your anchoring on. What depth, current, etc. There is no such thing as one type for everything. Being a small boat, you might consider a " chene" anchor, they have good holding in sand, mud, rocky bottoms, and are light weight. They also have a retrieve system. Other wise, you will need something heavy to hold in all conditions. I rarely use an anchor as I have an anchor feature on my bow mount trolling motor. But I do carry one to meet safety requirements. Mine was found at a garage sale, weighs about 15 lbs, sort of a navy style but more crudly made, I made some modifications to it to help it bite into soft bottoms, but the weight does the job in most easy anchoring situations, but again rarely used !

Thank you! Question - why no chain on the stern anchor?
Never found the need for one off the stern. If I'm using a stern anchor it's usually dropped straight down off the corner. The only time I use it is while bottom fishing and it just stops the stern from swaying and dragging the lines from wakes or on windy days.

I don't often use an anchor; mine always seems to sink into the bottom and is very hard to pull up. I use my spot lock for station keeping.

There is a YouTube channel by a guy who does lots of boating/fishing DIY stuff. He's done several anchors. This LINK will take you to the list of anchor videos he has done.

I have 13’ jon boat and fishing kayak that I use primarily in ponds and small lakes for bass fishing. I installed an anchor trolly on each and use a 10 lb mushroom anchor. The anchor trolly works okay to help keep the boat positioned and I’ve had pretty good luck with the mushroom anchor on most bottoms but it will slip sometimes. I only had to cut one away in about 8 years so that’s not too bad.
I found a small bucket that I put the anchor in after I pull it up to help keep dirt and water off the deck.
I have about 75’ of about 3/8” paracord and a stainless hook clip for the anchor that I let fall and coil as I go hand over hand to retrieve the anchor. Surprisingly it hardly ever gets knotted.
The anchor trolly cost about $17.00 on Amazon.

Link:
Kayak Canoes Anchor Trolley Kit System w/ Pulleys Pad Eye Cleats Ring 30 Feet of Rope https://a.co/d/6yikoaz

The 10 lb mushroom anchor cost me about $15.00 at Walmart.

It works okay for what I need. I posted some pictures of my setup if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6361.jpeg
    IMG_6361.jpeg