So, im new on here....thinking about my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something else I dont really understand...I see alot of you guys have tins that have a such and such load capacity.....when you guys mod them and deck them out, how are you still staying under this load capacity??

In your neck of the woods, I would go with a flat bottom. Water aint all that bad in the southeast, and youll spend about 98% of your time on the trolling motor fishing, and 2% of the time riding. I would buy the boat that fishes the best. Just take a look around at the local lakes you plan to fish to see what the other guys are using. Youll get an idea of what works best for you, and what you want. Personally, I wouldnt have a v-bottom unless you could get a big ol' Lund or something like that. The smaller v-bottoms feel almost like being in a canoe. If you could find a little 1436 or 1442 flat bottom in your price range, I think that would be right up your alley. I would recommend a 1448, but they are tough to come by and can be a little pricey, especially this time of year.

actually about a 1436 is what has been catching my eye...you hit that one right on the head! =D>

93civEJ1 said:
actually about a 1436 is what has been catching my eye...you hit that one right on the head! =D>

A 1436 is a heck of a boat and will no doubt suit your needs, but you will really appreciate the extra with if you can find a 1440 or a 1442. I know 4-6" doesnt seem like much, but it is a very substantial increase in stability. A lot depends on how big of a guy you are too. Im 6'2" and 205, and a 1436 is a little too wobbly for my liking. I know smaller guys who say they fish a 1436 just fine though. If you plan on taking a buddy out with you, the extra width will definitely make a difference in the ability to move around(back to front, front to back) in the boat without getting in each others way, or feeling like you you may have to take a swim... Just my 2 cents

If your gonna spend the money, get something youre gonna be happy with. As a wise man once said on this site, "Dont buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest one you that you're comfortable in."

gotcha....yeah....those few inches dont seem like they would really make a difference. Now the quest is to maybe get rid of this bike, or find the perfect boat ...maybe I dont even need to get one for this season...maybe I can get a cheap one and begin the restore on it....just not sure which I would do better with...paying a little more and getting one that is fishable right now....or spend less now and wait and restore over time.... #-o

A 1436 is a heck of a boat and will no doubt suit your needs, but you will really appreciate the extra with if you can find a 1440 or a 1442

+1.......1648 is even better...if you can find one in your price range. You'll be surprised how fast you fill up a 14' boat.

honestly...I guess my first issue would be to see what I can fit in my garage...im starting to wonder if I will even be able to get a boat into my garage (driveway is a slight slope to my garage...in order to back it in when not in use)

:roll:

so I have a guy thats interested on a trade for my dirtbike..but I dont know...its nice that it has a steering wheel...but now I kind of have my heart set on something kind of like a flat bottom 14 to 16 ft....he says only thing wrong is the mercury motor needs a starter due to something about it being cracked....what do u guys think of this v-hull?

timl013.jpg

not trying to steal the thread,
this is a great post. I also have been looking for my 1st boat. I am leaning towards a v-hull due to fishing smaller and calm lakes and going to bigger lakes that may be more choppy, I was supposed to get a 14' v-hull tomorrow but had it sold under me.. oh well wasnt ment to be.. good luck on you choice and hope you enjoy getting off the banks.

I have heard also after doing a bunch of research, that a v-hull will be more stable than a flat bottom jon boat.

I am still kind of eyeing this one posted above....im trying to see if I can get more pics of it. I really would like some opinions on it since I am a newbie to this stuff.

i've already chimed in on this but I would look for a base line boat....I'd rather have to add stuff I find out I need rather than over spend on stuff I never use. Plus you can do it your way then and not settle for someone else's work. Just my .02

IMO, If you plan on doing a good bit of bass fishing, I'd keep looking. That boat (although a nice boat within it's own right) looks more like a pleasure cruiser than a fishing boat. The first thing I notice (If I'm seeing it correctly) is that the previous owner installed a pedestal on top of his bow cover with a trolling motor. It looks like anything you drop while sitting up there (think rod, lure, cell phone, car keys....) will end up in the drink rather quickly. If you plan to do most of your fishing while trolling, I like it, but that front seat looks like the wrong application for the boat. Kinda like using your dirt bike as a street bike.

It sounds like you're not intimidated by taking stuff and putting it back together. The only reason I'd buy this boat would be if there was profit in fixing it up and flipping it that I could use towards a boat that better suited my needs. That said, I'd only consider it if it were considered a steal of a deal.

Again, this is all prefaced by going on the original statement that you love to fish. If that's the primary consideraton, keep looking for a fishing boat instead of a cruiser.

yeah, i think im going to keep searching. Im kind of set on a flat bottom i think. Thanks for your all's responses. Also....if in the future...i decided to take one of these and add steering to it, how hard of a chore is that to do a console set up? Yeah, I have no issue fixing up things....actually i enjoy projects.

93civEJ1 said:
yeah, i think im going to keep searching. Im kind of set on a flat bottom i think. Thanks for your all's responses. Also....if in the future...i decided to take one of these and add steering to it, how hard of a chore is that to do a console set up? Yeah, I have no issue fixing up things....actually i enjoy projects.

Not worth it in my opinion in a 14 footer unless it is at least 48" wide. I'd wan't a boat at least 16ft long before putting in a console. Just me though.

Have you considered putting in a "Want to trade" adv. in Craig's list? You just might find someone with the ideal boat who wants to move to a bike.

Also, post your Want to buy/trade here. We have a classified adv. section, though I've never used it. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

regards, and welcome aboard..... rich

With regard to your question about adding steering. Lots of people do it...but..
#1 it is expensive if the motor isn't configured for it already. and
#2. Steering gear takes up room.

In a smaller boat, you will get the most room by using a tiller (perhaps with an extension ).

As was mentioned above, you spend 5/10% of your time running the boat and 90% of the time fishing, especially on smaller lakes Perhaps the money would be better spent with a proper seat and trolling motor.

regards, Rich

my ads have been on craigslist...thats where im searching and getting my bites.. I had one this morning for a tri-hull (not sure what that is), but its a walk thru, so im sure its nothing im looking for. I would prefer a 16 ft...but im not sure that a 16 with trailer will fit in my garage, where im sure a 14 with trailer prob would.

The tongue on the trailer can have more to do with fitting a boat into a garage than any other part.

My present tinny's trailer has a very short tongue and fits completely into my garage. I've owned other boats, of the same or even shorter length... that had to have the tongue on the trailer modified...i.e. cut off; sleeved and held with two big pins.

Another device is one that allows you to cut the tongue; bolt on the device, and make a 90 degree turn to allow temporary shortening if needed.

Remember to factor in whether the motor has to be put in a vertical postion, of if you can leave the motor tilted out.

Measure first....when you finally find the right boat, you will be able to make a better decision. Many guys have had to modify the trailer to make things fit.

regards, Rich

im still searching and determined to land me a boat in the next couple of weeks....grrrr...haha...i put some more stuff on CL that is worth the price of a lot of boats...its more a game of fishing like in real life....finding the right person at the right time, with the right stuff to bite...wish me luck...im ready to join you guys, and have my own tin in the garage.

Latest posts