Spinning Reel recommendation UNDER $75?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Pfluger President and a Mitchell Avocett that are both great. If I had to pick one I think the President is smoother. You wont go wrong with either. I think Cabelas has the Avocett on sale right now really cheap. Mitchell 300 is also a great real.

Funny I also picked up one of those Vendetta rods to replace one that went over board. What a steal at 50 bucks! I actually have the President on it now and it is my go to rod to explore new waters.

EndlessJourney said:
I recommend sticking with brand name or store branded reels. The store brands are usually made by a brand name company. My top preferences for freshwater are Shimano and Daiwa, although there are many others worthy of mention. The best recommendation I can make for selecting a spinning reel is to go to the store and see how it feels and functions. Some bails will flip closed easier than others when you turn the handle. Some have a point in the rotation where you are forced to manually flip the bail. Another consideration is the length of the stem between the base and the reel body. I have large hands, so reels with shorter stems cause the bail to strike my fingers when turning the handle. Also, look to see if a spare spool is included or available. Nothing kills the mood like getting a rat's nest, etc. and not having any sort of backup. You can carry extra line and re-spool, but it's nice to be able to swap for a ready to go spool and continue fishing. You can always re-spool at home later. Don't get hung up too much on the number of ball bearings. You're better off with a reel that has fewer high quality bearings than one that is loaded with cheap bearings. Make sure that the reel is left/right retrieve switchable, most are. For light freshwater, graphite or aluminum frames are both good choices and it boils down to personal preference. You'll save a little weight with graphite and aluminum is generally a little stronger. There are new very strong light weight composites like Shimano's ci4, but those will exceed your price range. One final recommendation it to look online at reviews, especially the negatives. I don't give much attention to one of a kind complaints, but look carefully at repeated issues to reveal any weaknesses, if any.

Solid advice! :beer:

This line is the best though! Nothing kills the mood like getting a rat's nest, etc. and not having any sort of backup. :LOL2: