Stability and difference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankn4bass

Reaction score
I'm looking at a alumacraft 1457 light
I've heard this is the same as a 1436? Is this true and does anyone have experience with the 1457 and stability

I fish with my 2 sons out of a 1436 which is what that really is Alumacraft is perhaps calling it a 1457 to get clicks on their site or for some marketing purpose. It's stable enough if your well balanced to stand and cast in but nobody better make any sudden movements. Not stable enough for a casting deck in my opinion.

36" bottom jons are not that stable, as Steve said. The only thing worse, that I hae been in, is a 1232 jon. I'd look for a 48" bottom width as a minimum.

36" bottom jons are not that stable, as Steve said. The only thing worse, that I hae been in, is a 1232 jon. I'd look for a 48" bottom width as a minimum.
Yessir....had a " river jon" some years back, a 12' x 48" wide and my 12 yr old son could stand on the edge and it woukd not flip over ! Now...he couldn't jump up and down but, stepping on the side was not an issue. Great boat, wish I still had it....sold it within 45 min of placing the ad, very rare but sought after !!

Wider is always better.

If buying used, make sure they seller isn't measuring up at the top of the boat at the widest point. The BEAM is the widest point in the boat. Much different than the bottom width, which is what a 1632, 1636, 1642, 1648, 1652, etc are based on.

Bought it new in October from a dealer in Rhode Island. It is 55 at bottom and beam is 63.
Wider is always better.

If buying used, make sure they seller isn't measuring up at the top of the boat at the widest point. The BEAM is the widest point in the boat. Much different than the bottom width, which is what a 1632, 1636, 1642, 1648, 1652, etc are based on.