starter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check list: Good battery, good connections, big enough stareter cables, good starter solnoid.
Had this problem with a 60hp omc tried alot of diffrent starters and a brand new one would work for about a trip or 2 then it would start cranking slow turned out the cable were to small.
I'll agree there aren't alot of good shops around that's why you buy a good manual and learn to do it yourself.

Yeah I got a manual I guess tonight Im going to blow the dust off of it and look it over and try to figure this sucker out!

Ill check the cables maybe thats the problem. What gauge did you go with?

They said at the shop it came up faulty on the bench then they cleaned and redid the bushings and it ran on the bench. They then told me that sometimes when you put them on the motor they don't work. I still can't figure out how this is possible.

The solenoid is good I just got a brand new one to replace my last one it works. Battery is good with a full charge. So either the builders at the starter shop are full of it or the cables are shot.

Thanks guys for all the help! Anymore help is appreciated.

I saw they make a damper rebuild kit. What exactly does this do? I didn't see a rebuild kit for the starter just the damper rebuild kitt

Well..............First off don't be that hasty to blame the shop, you are assuming it was their workmanship that is at fault and you know what "assume" can mean! As has been mentioned. Check the battery, the cables, the size of the cables, whether or not a cable is getting hot to the touch while cranking the engine, Remove the ground stud from the engine, clean the threads and replace the stud (poor ground due to years of corrosion), there is a chance that the solenoid has poor contacts and may need replacement. Lots of things can create the issue you have. Chances are before you got into a pi__ing match with them you could have taken the rig by there for them to verify their workmanship and possibly identify the issue.

Pappy,

I did not get into any pi__ing match with them. Were all boaters and boats have all kinds of problems for all different reasons. This isn't my first rodeo with mechanical problems and a boat.

I did not blame them out right but just told them my problem and they took it personally. My boat is being welded on at the moment so I could not take my rig to them.

They were rude to me before i ever dropped off my starter and when I picked up the starter. So this is all before i even put the starter back on the motor. Its not just the fact the starter doesn't work now its the whole issue.

Like I said if other's want to do business with them thats fine and im not saying anything wrong with them. I just did not like the service personally thats all.

Well im going tomorrow to my mechanic and finally picking up my rig! Some welding needed to be done but its all done now.

Ive got the manual and im going to take the starter apart tomorrow night and see what I can figure out ive got a few thoughts at this point what it could me if its not the battery.

What size cables should i be running on this since someone mentioned that they could be to small?

Thanks guys!

Well guys got the rig finally at its new home.

I cleaned all the wires and terminals and everything was good. No nothing on them and are nice and shiny. I took the cap off the end of the starter to check the brushs. They look good from what I can tell.

Now though before I took the cap off and once I took the cap off when u spin the starter its making a grinding sound by the armature. I have to get the nut off above the drive gear but it wont budge. I looked inside the starter frame though and its chipped inside as if the armature or something is hitting it and chipping pieces off.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!