The new kid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
russ010 said:
As far as the front floor, just put you down a piece of ply that sits level from the bottom of your front board to the middle bench.

Good suggestion... I think I am gonna go with that idea. Like I said, I think I am going to go with and aluminum frame. What would be the best way to mount the frame to the boat?

Well, you have no ribs to attach to. Attaching to a given point in the hull would not be strong enough. Thus, you need to make ribs. I piece of 1.5 by 1.5 angle riveted to the hull, with conventional rivets (hammer in type like your boat is made of) should suffice, both strengthening the hull, and giving you a proper mounting surface. The other option, is 1 by 1 square, and 3/16 pop rivets, with a small dab of sealer (for good measure) staggered along the bottom. Either way would work.

Then, build your deck structure just like the rest of the guys on here do, just keep it lower than most, since your hull is small. I would make 3 ribs. One at the front of the middle seat, one at the point that the bow deck will stop at the bow, and one dead split between the two. Put verticals on the two aft ones, either out of 1 by 1 square, or 1.5 angle. Then, span them lengthwise with a piece of the same material. I depending on the span, I might go with 2 verticals going across, one on each side, with a transverse piece connecting them at each end and the middle, or 3 verticals, basically the same as the 2 method, just put 1 row the middle. I can draw that out if you don't follow my mental picture (hard to type a mental picture).

I would go with aluminum decking on there too, and a removable carpet (snap in or something), if I didn't go with a paint on lining. I bet there is a good chance that you will encounter mud when entering a pond boat, unlike those of us in large lakes where we have concrete ramps and docks, and I can say from experience, mud (especially good ole' Georgia Red Clay) doesn't come out of carpet easily. Being able to remove the carpet, hose it from the backside (otherwise you are washing it deeper in - found that out the hard way) aids a lot in keeping it clean. However, in your case, since you don't have a trailer, and presumably will be storing it upside down outside, I would say use a bedliner, or other coating. Just my mere 2 cents worth.

I am unfamiliar with the hammered rivets, I think they are called drive rivets? If I were to use pop rivets and sealer, what type of sealant it everyone using? I don't wanna use your old run of the mill clear silicone I take it.

I mentioned what I guess you would call standard rivets. You hammer them in, either by hand, or with a pneumatic hammer.
https://www.hansonrivet.com/w06.htm

They are what boats are riveted with. One side has a head, and you insert it into the hole, and peen over the other side, forming a tight connection in aluminum or steel sheet.

Welp, I am going with the 2x2. I started framing up the benches, & got my trolling motor this morning. I sealed up the hull with some 3m 5200. Gotta finish the sides, then water sealer and carpet. Soon after that will be paint... and then.... FISHING!

P1010001.jpg

Where are you going to put your seats? If you put pedestal on those benches, be careful - I'd hate to see you topple over in the water and your boat flip. Not demeaning your work or anything, just want you to be safe and not lose any of your belongings!

Awesome job on the framing - that is professional

Not too sure on the seat mounting... I figured I was going to run without some for the time being. See how stable the boat is with the new benches. I figured I wouldn't go too tall with it for just that reason. I am happy I decided to go with the 2x2, and surprisingly enough the boat is still very lightweight. Lord knows I will change it 50 times over the next year or so... back to work tomorrow...

So I didn't know what make of boat this is. I managed to sand some off the sticker... can anyone help me out...

M--Ark

It is like wheel of fortune, but no hot blondes or prizes! :mrgreen:

VBTravisD said:
So I didn't know what make of boat this is. I managed to sand some off the sticker... can anyone help me out...

M--Ark

It is like wheel of fortune, but no hot blondes or prizes! :mrgreen:

Monark?

Henry Hefner said:

I was thinking the same thing. I came in and googled it and that is the only thing I came up with that fit.

Got a little more done today. I watersealed all the lumber, sealed up some more stuff on the hull, started to install the new stern handles and laid the first coat of paint. Tell me what yall think.

P1010002.jpg

it looks good ! I bet you can't wait to get it off those saw horses and out on the water fishing

russ010 said:
it looks good ! I bet you can't wait to get it off those saw horses and out on the water fishing

Man, you got that right!!!!

Thanks for all the compliments... Yall's boats gave me the inspiration on mine. Bream are biting pretty good around here so I am pushing hard to get it done.