The Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

"If you are 30 or older, you will think this is hilarious!!!! If not, send it to your parents! They'll think it's funny!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning .... Uphill BOTH ways .. Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in heck I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...

I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a dang Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!

1. When I was a kid, we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the dang library and look it up ourselves... In the card catalog!! (Do you even know what a card catalog is? Didn't think so!)

2. There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter... With a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

3. There were no MP3's or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the dang record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up!

4. We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

5. And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

6. We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids' and the graphics were horrible! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

7. When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

8. Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

And there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons!

9. And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove or go build a fire ... Imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid JiffyPop thing or a pan with HOT oil and Real popcorn kernels and shake it all over the stove forever like an idiot.

10. When we were on the phone with our friends and our parents walked-in, we were stuck to the wall with a cord, a 7 foot cord that ran to the phone - not the phone base, the actual phone. We barely had enough length to sit on the floor and still be able to twirl the phone cord in our fingers. If you suddenly had to go to the bathroom - guess what we had to do..... Hang up and talk to them later.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd"

LMAO!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

I was lucky, our phone was close enough to the stairs (with no railings BTW) that I could at least sit on the top of the stairs for a little privacy....

I had 6 brothers and sisters. My dad put a 3 minute hourglass timer next to the phone, and if you weren't off the phone in three minutes, or if you were caught turning the timer over again... Well, let's just say we learned to talk fast!
We didn't have cable TV, either. Remote control? My dad thought that was what kids were for!

Hmmmm..... I don't think this is very accurate. I'm 28 and can remember it being like this for me for numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10............. :?

I figured I'd learn a lesson, but all it did was make me realize how lazy old people were for not getting off their asses and inventing this stuff themselves :lol:

Old people walking uphill both ways did it 'cause they were badasses, not because transportation wasn't invented yet :wink:

:LOL2:

I see this list and I laugh my butt off each time. The days of holding the antenna at that precise, uncomfortable angle so my dad could watch the news were the worst! :lol:

Very funny and the very reason the young ones are wimps, go to edge of the cliff and turn back, without electonics you are nothing! Hey , My parents would have been arrested from the Office of Child Welfare the way they raised us....... had to take that garbage out and stuff...
30, the new 20, what a bunch of crap! just another excuse to lay around your lazy asses! :LOL2: Get a JOB! get out of MY house, pay rent....buy your own food and insurance.

Froggy said:
Very funny and the very reason the young ones are wimps, go to edge of the cliff and turn back, without electonics you are nothing! Hey , My parents would have been arrested from the Office of Child Welfare the way they raised us....... had to take that garbage out and stuff...
30, the new 20, what a bunch of crap! just another excuse to lay around your lazy asses! :LOL2: Get a JOB! get out of MY house, pay rent....buy your own food and insurance.

I don't shy from the cliff.... I figure out a way up or down it.
I know your joking..... but its a pretty huge sterotype.

There are plenty of over 30 homeless, useless to society people out there.... including ex-military. Riding the systems, soaking up taxpayers dollars...

I'm a firm believer in "you get out of life what you put into it"

I left home at 16. I didn't get the best upbringing..... no need to embelish on that.
Contended with 2 jobs, high school, rent, car insurance, utility bills, food, amentities, etc.
By 23, was into my own home, married, and have a decent career... not 100,000 a year but pretty darn good for no college.

Probably too... why on my recent 28th birthday, it was brought to my attention that I had a few grey hairs already :LOL2:

perchin said:
Hmmmm..... I don't think this is very accurate. I'm 28 and can remember it being like this for me for numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10............. :?

Same here... Still, it's kind of funny to think about: at our age, we were right on the line as things changed over. It always amazes the kids at the school when I tell them about how not THAT long ago, not everyone had a cell phone. They can't believe that I, the master of all things technology at the school, didn't get my first cell phone until I was like 20 years old or so. I tell them about how kids had pagers when I was in high school, and most of the time they have no idea what a pager even is...

breachless said:
perchin said:

Same here... Still, it's kind of funny to think about: at our age, we were right on the line as things changed over. It always amazes the kids at the school when I tell them about how not THAT long ago, not everyone had a cell phone. They can't believe that I, the master of all things technology at the school, didn't get my first cell phone until I was like 20 years old or so. I tell them about how kids had pagers when I was in high school, and most of the time they have no idea what a pager even is...

Loved a pager and the special codes you had to use to identify yourself. Mine was 711......

Troutman3000 said:
Loved a pager and the special codes you had to use to identify yourself. Mine was 711......

I remember that... my code was 454.... and messages always ended in 458 lol

hell, we didn't (and couldn't) get a private phone line til I was in high school in the mid 90s. I used to sit and listen to ALL kinds of conversations people were having... I knew everything about everybody!

russ010 said:
hell, we didn't (and couldn't) get a private phone line til I was in high school in the mid 90s. I used to sit and listen to ALL kinds of conversations people were having... I knew everything about everybody!
Ahhhh... Georgia on my mind. I was in Atlanta at Oglethorpe University '67-'70. Back then, when you"direct dialed" a long distance call, the operator (they were live people & very common then) came on and asked what number you were calling from (they only knew the area code and the first 3 digits of the phone number). As college students, we figured out pretty quickly that we could give the phone number of any large corporation in the area and they would be billed. :wink: It took the phone company an entire school year to figure that one out. [-X

I'd heard that some areas of Georgia, and other low population areas of the more rural states, were still a bit behind the curve when it comes to phone service. But I didn't know party lines were still the only option as late as the '90s. :shock:

DocWatson said:
russ010 said:
Ahhhh... Georgia on my mind. I was in Atlanta at Oglethorpe University '67-'70. Back then, when you"direct dialed" a long distance call, the operator (they were live people & very common then) came on and asked what number you were calling from (they only knew the area code and the first 3 digits of the phone number). As college students, we figured out pretty quickly that we could give the phone number of any large corporation in the area and they would be billed. :wink: It took the phone company an entire school year to figure that one out. [-X

I'd heard that some areas of Georgia, and other low population areas of the more rural states, were still a bit behind the curve when it comes to phone service. But I didn't know party lines were still the only option as late as the '90s. :shock:

well - this was in South Carolina where I'm from... you could get a private line, but you had to pay for a direct line from your house to a box - and you paid by the foot for the line if I remember. You wanna talk about bad - they just got DSL service there about 6 months ago... cable still doesn't run out that far, but they finally installed satellite bout 3 years ago. My dad only needs one channel (Fox News), but my mom has got to have all of her soap operas lol

Whats funny is I went to Arkansas a couple weeks ago for a fishing trip, and nothing has changed out there. Same as your list, popcorn and all, and they still wear the little Macgregor shorts and tank tops too. If the world is really gonna end in 2012, Im going to arkansas where Ill have thirty more years to catch up to the rest of civilization.