thinking about buying a kayak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furloughed from work, I've HAD to go fishing :D and so far I'm batting .000.
I sold a Eotech sight that I hadn't used in years and turned that into a Lowrance Hook5 with side scan and GPS, so now my fish locator on my kayak is better than the one on my boat. :lol:
The Mississippi has dropped a couple feet this week, so the fishing has been pretty bad (by my findings, and everyone I've talked to).

Anyway, the kayak moves along at a good clip. I've seen a touch over 5mph on the GPS, but that's not sustainable for very long (HUFF HUFF HUFF), but a nice easy stepping on the pedals keeps 3mph pretty easy to keep up.

Are you trolling between fishing spots? I always used some sort of a topwater or wake bait. Anything that dove got caught in weeds.

It was amazing how many hits I had just moving from one place to another.

Actually I hadn't. I've mostly just been after panfish but that's an excellent idea!!

I'll give it a try!!! Thank you!!

Flat water = Sit it
Ocean = SOT

I have sit in's and I love them.

One's a Pungo and the other's a Wilderness System Native 14. The Pungo is fast and sleek the Native is like a tug boat.

Unfortunately, so very many people buy kayaks with no real understanding of their...and the yaks...limitations.

When I was active on a couple of yak sites, nearly every week somebody would ask "what is a good kayak". The answers would come flowing out...with nary a mention or question about the user's weight; age; flexibility; usage, etc.

I guarantee that the yak that properly fit me.... OLD; Non-Flexible; heavy, Tall, Salt-Water flats fisherman...etc. would be the wrong yak for a 5 foot 8 inch, 30 something who wanted to go whitewater drifting down rivers.

The so-called "weight limits" on yaks are generally well over-stated. A "250 lb. yak" often fits a 125 lb guy and his gear ok. It often DOESN'T fit a 225 lb guy who just read the label.

Try it before you buy it.... is still the best advice anyone can give, IMHO.