Tow rig pictures?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy- That particular motor was a new 350 4 bolt main GM crate motor, tranny is a Bowtie Overdrives 700R4. Added Edelbrock Preformer, 650 Holley, and headders. I got 12,000 miles on the motor before the (factory) improperly installed valve cover puked it's gasket, running the engine low on oil. This led to a spun rod bearing months later....would expect no less from a GM motor assembled in mexico :roll:

I now have a newly rebuilt (have put about 1500 miles on it) .30 over 350, same bolt-ons, but added an RV cam. lol, and still getting my 12 MPG on a good day #-o

This was bought as a temporary work vehicle (contractor) after the bozos at Snake Farm let my new wrecked truck set for 6 months, refusing to properly repair it. Of course the sub-compact they rented for me for 30 days served little good trying to work from. You'd think they'd have rented me another truck..but nooo..so I spent over $5K of my own money to have a vehicle to use.

Anyway, the shell is actually handy, and is good for secure/dry storage. If I go fishing I can carry extra gear in the truck & don't worry about it, and it gives me a dry place to sleep if it rains :mrgreen: It needs a homegrown camo paint job, just ain't got around to it yet.

ST

solid motor with the 4 bolt main. that sucks about rod bearing though. and 12mpg is honestly not too bad for a carburetted truck, i have gotten a few tanks that were under 12mpg. i love that body style but it needs some fresh paint, rattle can cammo or black would look just fine imo.

My 1500 GMC;1994;6cyl....I don't think it could haul much more than aluminum but it has never let me down.truck.jpg

heavy-chevy said:
solid motor with the 4 bolt main. that sucks about rod bearing though. and 12mpg is honestly not too bad for a carburetted truck, i have gotten a few tanks that were under 12mpg. i love that body style but it needs some fresh paint, rattle can cammo or black would look just fine imo.
Yeah, and this was a brand-new motor, not a re-manufactured. lol, to be honest, I don't care how it looks, as long as it's dependable :wink: I swore after getting the shaft from the Snake Farm (and the state wouldn't do anything), that I'd never own another nice vehicle as long as I lived in this rectum of a state. I need to learn how to do a camo paint job......I'm not too talented in that area.

ST

My '02 Trailblazer with 101K miles on it:

normal_DSCN0001.jpg

Back quarter view, and no the bullet holes are not real, just stickers.

normal_DSCN0002.jpg

The grandkids call me Popeye, because in Texas nobody is called grandpa or grandma. It's all Paw-paw or Mee-mee or something like that so here's my Popeye

normal_DSCN0003.jpg

I was gonna wash it but decided... why?

normal_DSCN0006.jpg

No pictures of ours at the current, but we have 3.
First is a 1989 Silverado 2500, long bed, 350, 5 speed manual. Has somewhere between 380,000 and 400,000 (odo is broken, so we sat down and did the math one day) Dad bought it new in '89, and it has been used hard since. For the longest time it was used as the daily driver by weekday (2 hour round trip a day) and on the weekends it was used for everything else (hauling gravel 2 tons at a time, pulling stumps, towing trailers, hauling everything imaginable, pulling rocks out of holes etc etc). Now it just gets used for the weekend tasks. Amazing this second clutch has lasted so long (it was installed at 100k)

Second is a 1994 Suburban 2500, with 454. Has 215,000 ish (haven't checked in a while)

Third is a 1998 Tahoe 1500, with somewhere around 220,000 (haven't checked in a while)

If the price of gas were to look like it were going down for a significant time, we will possibly put a crate 350, with 4 bolt main into the truck as well as a 6 speed manual. If not, we will just put in its third clutch (the second is on its last leg)

bassboy1 said:
If the price of gas were to look like it were going down for a significant time, we will possibly put a crate 350, with 4 bolt main into the truck as well as a 6 speed manual. If not, we will just put in its third clutch (the second is on its last leg)

Don't waste your cash on a GM Mexican built piece of garbage in a box. Find an old motor & rebuild it, you'll end-up with something that'll last that way.

ST

Ok heres my Tow vehicle
1995 Saturn SL 5spd Manual, bought new in 95 it had 4 miles on it. Currently 145.3K but only about 10K on new clutch I put in.

100_1548.jpg

Thats the nice thing about having a tin boat, you can usually pull it with anything. I sometimes pull mine with our minivan if the kids are going with. Pulls the same behind that as it does behind the truck, the only thing different is loading and unloading at the ramp.

:beer:

yea, it almost looks stupid towing the boat with the big diesel. i can tow the thing with the lawnmower around the yard lol.

well I've change my tow rig ( :mrgreen: ). Few months ago the camry hit 200,000 miles, I decided to sale it and buy another used toyota car. I cant believe it but I got 4k for my camry, then purchased a 2003 Toyota avalon xls v6. I don't even notice my boat when towing it now.
avalon.jpg

We rented an Avalon for our trip this last week. I didn't drive and only sat in the passenger side. Roof is too low for me as I hit my head everytime I got in. Didn't hit it on the way out so maybe I would just have to learn the correct way to get in. Not a lot of side to side leg room for me either. Other than that it was a nice car. Rode nice and got 30 MPG combined driving.

My Avalon has a zillion mile son it and has never needed a major repair - ****, now I jinxed us for sure :D

I do not think I woudl tow anything with it - not really meant for that

Did you do anything as far a tow package (ie - trans cooler or extra suspension)?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT with Chrome pack.2.5 liter 4 cylinder with automatic.Pyle of pooh to say the least.

Pulling our 1995 Mercury Trio Wagon 220 miles from Slemp,Kentucky(her mothers) :evil: to Inman,South Carolina(home).
0929072310.jpg

0929072309.jpg

Here it is after a 3 inch drop all around.
1023071747.jpg

1023071746.jpg

If I had not done the work to lower the truck 3 inches,I wouldn't believed it.Heck,I had to measure it before I believed it.It has DJM 2" Ford Splash drop springs up front.That gives 3" total because the Splash came lowered 1" from the factory.I did a leaf spring hangar flip in the rear with factory 1" longer shackles from a FX4 Ranger.

jirwin6985,

Nice truck, I personally liked it with the black grill and bumper. What is that shark fin on the roof? On-Star antenea? That has to go.

Captain Ahab said:
My Avalon has a zillion mile son it and has never needed a major repair - ****, now I jinxed us for sure :D

I do not think I woudl tow anything with it - not really meant for that

Did you do anything as far a tow package (ie - trans cooler or extra suspension)?

Well my 4 banger camry I've towed lots with it, nothing more than 2,000 pounds (factory rating). The avalon factory manual says it can tow up to 4,000 pounds, so far I've towed a riding lawn mower and the boat. It tows way better than the camry did.