Up, up, and Away....gas prices!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baptistpreach said:
DocWatson said:
flounderhead59 said:
Just go to the supermarket and you'll see how expensive water is. That is one product I will not buy... Bottled Water.

You'd rather drink that recycled pi$$ that comes out of your tap ??? [-X I'll bath in tap water, but I don't drink it.

But if you're not buying spring water (Poland Springs, Fiji, etc.) you're just buying someone elses' city water in a bottle. #-o

Um... In all fairness, there is absolutely NO comparison between the price of city water and bottled water. I know the stigma tap water gets nowadays, but think, how many generations have drank it and turned out just fine?
Give the guy some respect! The price on bottled water IS higher than gas... #-o

No disrespect intended. I apologize if it came across that way.

You are absolutely correct that bottled water is more expensive than gas. So are a lot of other things here in the USA. I have a comparison chart of the prices of everyday things that someone sent me a couple years ago (can't find it now, of course) that shows how outrageous some "extravagant" things are priced when compared to necessities. But are you factoring in how much our government subsidizes our gas prices ?? We are paying for the gas to be priced lower that it is in the rest of the world through our income taxes. It's still over $4/gallon in Japan and many European countries.

But when we start reading about all the trace amounts of pharmacutical drugs that are in our water supply because people excret them in their urine that is flushed into the rivers & streams through the sewer system, drawn out downstream by the different water companies and their filtering systems are not equipped to filter them out. Then you have to wonder what else is in the water supply that they don't know about or aren't telling us.

I don't carry around store-bought bottles of water because of the petroleum used to make the **** bottles, but do buy 3 gallon jugs that sit on the kitchen counter and dispense through a spout (no room for a dispenser for 5 gallon bottles or storage space for the extras) that I use for coffee, tea & drinking water as well as for some cooking (not to boil potatoes or cook pasta though).

And all that "stuff" in the water makes its way into the fish we eat and the crops and farm animals too. Perhaps it seems I am living my life with blind ignorance to some. I am aware of the fact there are "trace" amounts of chemicals in my water. I am also aware that there are the same (or worse) chemicals in the air I breathe and food I eat. Personally I am not going to try living a restricted life to avoid those things.

However, this is a thread about gas prices and I don't want to hijack it any more than I already have. Sorry for getting off on a tangent.

flounderhead59 said:
And all that "stuff" in the water makes its way into the fish we eat and the crops and farm animals too. Perhaps it seems I am living my life with blind ignorance to some. I am aware of the fact there are "trace" amounts of chemicals in my water. I am also aware that there are the same (or worse) chemicals in the air I breathe and food I eat. Personally I am not going to try living a restricted life to avoid those things.

However, this is a thread about gas prices and I don't want to hijack it any more than I already have. Sorry for getting off on a tangent.

'nuff said.

Gas was $1.59 at the local discount station yesterday. Lowest I've seen yet in this area. =D>

some people pay good money to get those chemicals in there body! :mrgreen:

haha j/k. oh my my.. just filled up my heavy chevy for 55 bucks. my stress level has went way down since the gas drop, and well hunting season helped out alittle too. but now ive gotten back into my old habbit of hearin those pipes roar. recon i better get back out the ole block -o- wood to put under the gas pedal

Gas here is 1.53, (BP), I've noticed a pinging from this gas, I let the tank get on 1/4 and filled her up from another station 1.59(Mongans) on the way home I noticed the pinging has ceased, why do you think this is. I hit the passing gear to test it out.

$1.59 today....a few days ago it went up to $1.64....Now its back down. I don't get it... #-o

Shamoo, my truck pings if I get gas at certain stations. I guess its something to do with the octane. I use regular all the time so I don't know.

shamoo said:
Gas here is 1.53, (BP), I've noticed a pinging from this gas, I let the tank get on 1/4 and filled her up from another station 1.59(Mongans) on the way home I noticed the pinging has ceased, why do you think this is. I hit the passing gear to test it out.

Back in the day pinging was a sign of low octane gas. But that was when premium was required in many cars. Probably just bad gas or condensation in the storage tanks at the station. I wouldn't actually accuse one of those "discount" stations of watering their gas. :roll:

ACarbone624 said:
$1.59 today....a few days ago it went up to $1.64....Now its back down. I don't get it... #-o

The price of oil spiked either that day or the day before. A couple stations around my area did exactly the same thing. $1.59 one day $1.64 the next and now down to $1.57 today.

I find that I get worse gas mileage when using discount station gas like Thorntons than when I use something like Marathon. I'm sure it has to do with the amount of Ethanol in the gas. More Ethanol = less power = lower gas mileage.

The ethanol definitely reduces gas mileage, I can't even put it in my '01 GMC Yukon, the manual actually warns against it, and since a fuel pump is $700, I just pay a little extra to get 100% pure gas.

Dropped to $1.62. Heard on the radio oil prices were expected to drop to $25.00/barrel before they head back up. Didn't say how far up they expected them to go.

Back to $1.54 at the station by my house, but the stations in town are still holding at $1.67 / $1.69. Was out of town again today in Louisville at another orienteering event, and everyplace I saw gas was at $1.55.