Well really need some help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotchess

Reaction score
I am no expert at the electrical end of this thing!!

I know how to mount my motor battery and my trolly battery!

Is there some sort of breaker panel I can get to flip the switches for these things though?

Also I need to run all my lighting to these switches? Is there a special way these must route?

What gauge wire would I need to run all my lights too in order to then run that line to the switch box?

Looks like I will need to build a switch box housing as well.

Should I run my lights on my motor bttery and leave my trolly battery for just trolling?

Wow, lot of questions there. I am sure you will get some good responses. In the meantime, scan through the Electrical section and you will find tons of great ideas.

KRS

Here is a diagram!

I want a main switch that turns everything on and off.

Then a lights switch

Then a trolly switch

Motor turn on switch

Here is a horrible diagram
If anyone can add lines to it for me. Red and black would be great since that is what is coming off all these accessories!
Boatelectricaldiagram.jpg

The little clear circle is an automatic bilge with a float.

I am in a similar situation. I am working on my boat planning it out and I would like to do some electrical work similar to your set up.. I am going back and reading a lot of posts in the Electrical (topic) forum. Not easy to grasp yet. I understand, diagrams are easier to interpret.

Start here ( see LINKS below) to determine the wire gauge that you will need.

Also, there is a LINK for a circuit breaker for a trolling motor. Please note.. it is imperative that you get a circuit breaker that matches your trolling motor. Call the manufacturer if you cannot find the info in your manual .... too big, or too small... a breaker will only cause trouble or a fire.

Trolling motors do not normally have any switch, other than the built-in switch on the unit. But, all manufacturers recommend using a proper breaker to protect your boat's wiring and prevent a fire.

regards, R

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

https://boatstuff.awardspace.com/awgcalc.html

https://compare.ebay.com/like/120680614908?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

dotchess said:
Is there some sort of breaker panel I can get to flip the switches for these things though? Do you mean a breaker panel or a switch panel, or combo of both?

Also I need to run all my lighting to these switches? yes, or at least to a single switch Is there a special way these must route? not sure what you're asking...conduit or how to wire them up?

What gauge wire would I need to run all my lights too in order to then run that line to the switch box? depends on the number of lights, the amp draw per each, and the length of the run

Looks like I will need to build a switch box housing as well.

Should I run my lights on my motor bttery and leave my trolly battery for just trolling? either one or both, altho' I'd run all accessories to my trolling battery so that I never run down my starter and can always get home...and I'd run the bilge to the battery that everything else is NOT run to :D