What wood for Gunwale wood trim?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure didn't ask about having the wood ordered but i will and see what they say. Id like to get the tin on the water by fall.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I found a specialty hardwood lumber yard that will be open this weekend. https://www.hlcdallas.com/solid.php
Just my luck I've called them before and this will be their first time open on the weekend. I'll have to stop by.
The owner suggested i check out the juniper and cypress wood. I'll check out the white oak while I'm there as well.

Well i ended up getting mahogany 2in strips cut and milled down to half inch thick. I think I'll end up having to do the gunwale trim in sections due to the curvature. Sucks... It doesn't just curve around the sides it actually curves up then down as well.

Tex - if you think that mahogany is hard to curve,
the white oak is twice as hard, if not more !!
to do your boat justice, the wood will have to be steamed
and clamped into position while you work it. (extra hands are very helpful here).
YouTube it - "how to steam bend wood"

Good luck in your project !!
Looking forward to the photos

The guys at the shop did say white oak would be more difficult to work with. They actually suggested that i have the wood milled down to 1/4 strips. I will give steaming them a good shot. I'll try wrapping them in hot towels first.

This Mahogany turned out to be extremely easy to work with. I am really happy! I'll post pics later after the drivers side is done. So far I've only used one c clamp.

1e86dac99fdef18fbc22a65643e0dc60.jpg
9d07aa98b5ad453489cc45d3a1e44d07.jpg

I just used boiling water, towels, weights up to 35lbs, bungee cord and a c-clamp.

ed54b7052573168f4af823aab07a1216.jpg

9db7991a2704d6abc5f67592df69a278.jpg

f3dda9791b0b37cd962f5bbfd49b0924.jpg

I got a little steam going to see. If it would make the mahogany more flexible then the towels as you can see in the pics it worked wonderfully.

Thanks! I tried to be creative with what i have. Wrapped the wood with painters plastic and tape then ran a hose to it, then let it steam for a few hours.