Working on my Boat (Updated)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have any of that tractor paint left over, just go back over the places where the UBolts marred it... it's a trailer so don't sweat it, just wait til the first time you let a curb at the ramp take a few bites out of the wheels!

It's like a new car, after the first few dings, you'll appreciate it for what it does and less on how it looks. Even my galvanized trailer has rust spots.

Haha good point!

These projects become like your baby hate see them hurt! Lol

Yup I do I have some touch up paint left over :)

JMichael said:
How high off the ground is that going to put the bottom of your boat now?

Ok it's not just me then it does look a little high off the ground. But based on my old bunks its pretty close, the new might just be a tad taller.

i know how you feel! my boat already has scratches and stuff and it hasn't even left the garage since i painted it! but i think she will still get me where i'm going and hopefully lead me to some good fishin holes!

Trapper02 said:
Tightening bolts on my trailer makes me sad.

If I had it to do over I'd paint my trailer differently considering how much time I put into It i should have just gotten it sand blasted and either galv. Or powder coated, my faith in tractor paint is not strong enough after seeing these results.

Also looking at trailers out in the real world made by the boat companies is probably why they don't use gloss black either lol

Yes I was able to do this myself but with time invested and not being 100% satisfied I'd recommend a different route on painting your trailer to last, future trailer painters out there.
Hey don't feel too bad trapper, here in Florida I look at trailers as sacrificial. Saltwater and steel just don't mix well, I don't care how you paint it. If I had the money I would probably invest in an aluminum trailer, but even then you have electrolysis issues to deal with.

Ok I did my compression test tonight on my 1956 Johnson 30 HP pull start.

Top was 65-70psi
Bottom 70-75psi

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

All we did was pull the spark plugs, plug in the compression tester and pulled away At the motor.

you know i didnt even look, based off a post i found in iboats, they acted like that wasn't a big deal, open or close throttle, but that doesn't mean thats right either. I'll have to look when i get home.

Think about it, if an engine can't draw air in on the intake stroke, what does it have to compress? Think about it like a syringe where the plunger is the piston and the syringe is the cylinder. Place your finger over the tip where the needle would normally go, now draw the plunger back. If you can draw it back any, all you're doing is creating a vacuum inside the syringe. That's the same as a piston on the intake stroke. Now shove the plunger back in (compression stroke) and see if you created any pressure that tries to blow your finger away from the tip. You have to have air in the cylinder in order to create compression. If you restrict the air flow in, you restrict the amount of compression that can be created.

About time to head home, so I will check what the throttle was set to, and if it wasn't open/full I'll re-test it tonight and post results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE

I've done compression tests on an older 15hp Johnson and was getting 100+ pound readings also.

Working on cars in the past, compression tests were done by just removing the spark plugs and cranking for a few seconds with the gas line disconnected and ignition disabled. You really don't want too much gas washing down the cylinder walls and ending up in the crankcase.

On the other hand, some say 75 pounds is a good reading too. Try squirting some oil down the cylinder walls and see if that improves the readings. If it does improve it dramatically, the rings may be in question.

Good luck.

i just went through all 9 pages, couldnt find a picture of the boat going on your new trailer and motor, am i missing it? or is it not on here yet? just curios to see the main event!

Lol you know you might be right here's a couple of pics of the future bass catcher!

16' MonArk 1989

I'm finally nearing to actually begin working on the boat! After practically rebuilding the trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 380
nomowork said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmNMWTDtZE

I've done compression tests on an older 15hp Johnson and was getting 100+ pound readings also.

Working on cars in the past, compression tests were done by just removing the spark plugs and cranking for a few seconds with the gas line disconnected and ignition disabled. You really don't want too much gas washing down the cylinder walls and ending up in the crankcase.

On the other hand, some say 75 pounds is a good reading too. Try squirting some oil down the cylinder walls and see if that improves the readings. If it does improve it dramatically, the rings may be in question.

Good luck.

I had someone in iboats have me try pushing on the rings of the pistons to see if they move just the littlest bit, and yes all rings do move just a tiny bit. I was told this was a good sign.

When you say oil? Is WD40 ok? And I squirt it down the hole where the spark plugs were? Or can I shoot it in the holes where I took off the bypass cover?

As you can tell I'm taking on a new field I'm not to experienced with. But i am having fun learning! Hehe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
Just use regular motor oil like 10w 30 or whatever you have and remove the plugs and dump about a teaspoon full down in each cylinder. I usually try to get the cylinders in a vertical position when I do this so that the oil will run all the way around the piston. Then do your compression test again.