Working on my Boat (Updated)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the call from my cuz, his hay bailing has been canceled cause of the rain we are getting so that means trailer time tonight!

Will do he should be able to handle everything and then leave me to grind it down and smooth out the welds so it blends pretty good. I am not expecting perfect but the way he makes it sound it will at least look clean, and be solid. Its just gotta get me to the lakes! haha

Trapper02 said:
Thank you! I was really impressed by the spray cans worked better than i ever thought they would, and i got the handle / nose gun attachment makes so much easier.

You ain't lying!! This is one of the best inventions ever made, especially when you have to do a lot of painting. It reduces finger fatigue, and also prevents the tip of your finger from being the color of your paint project.

foxmulder said:
You could also go with a fold away trailer tongue to fix your trailer. Bolt one of these bad boys on, make your trailer tongue nice and long, but still garage friendly.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Coupler-sf-Fold~Away_Couplers.aspx

Yet another good invention, the fold-away tongue.

Of course, if you are a fabricator and have access to welding equipment, you can design your own fold-away tongue. Where you make the cut, you'll need to weld a piece of 1/4" plate, cut to the size of the tubing, and cut where it can be inset about 1/4" into the tubing, for a nice weld all the way around, and it's flush with the end of the tube. Do this to both halves. This plate will prevent the mouth of the tubing from bending and stress cracking under load.

Next, you'll need to fabricate a barrel hinge assembly for the pivot. This can be accomplished with some pipe, and solid cold rolled round stock. Cut the pipe into 2 equal length pieces, then cut a piece of round stock equal to the length of the 2 pieces put together.

Slide the round stock into the 2 pieces to keep them aligned, and place the entire unit vertically on the seam where the 2 halves of the tongue join together. One piece of pipe will weld to one half of the tongue, and the other piece welds to the other half.

Now, on either the top, OR bottom side where the round stock comes flush with the end of the pipe, crank up the heat, and put a good plug weld there, bringing the puddle onto the edge of the pipe.

NOTE: ONLY WELD ONE END! Do not weld both ends, or it will not pivot and work as a hinge.

OK, now for the closure on the other side of the tube. You'll need two more short pieces of pipe, basically the same thing you used for the hinge side. Except, on this side, the pin will be removable. Use the pin inside the two halves of the tube to keep them aligned, and weld one piece of tube to one half of the tongue, and the other piece of pipe to the other half, positioning them so that when the tongue is folded out, the top pipe overlaps the bottom pipe, and you can drop the pin through them.

For the pin, either use a straight pin with a big washer welded to the top side, or, heat a piece of rod, and put a bend in it. Make the piece long enough so that an inch or so extends out the bottom. Drill a small hole through the part that extends through, this will be for a cotter pin.

Lastly, use a good quality cotter pin as a retainer, and use a split ring, or tack weld a short piece of chain to both the retaining pin, and the cotter pin so they don't get lost.

Thank you!

Here is a few pics from friday night. I meant to take more later but we got to talking and just having a good time. Then come saturday i forgot to take a finished one cause i ended up going fishing all day! So i'll have to take some more of the finished product and post soon.

He got it welded up and smoothed over it looks great. Even went and filled in some misc. holes on the trailer for me. He was worried it wasn't perfect enough but it looked good to me. I told him my main concern was it holds up. He said of it will. He also welded a small piece of extra 2" tube on my tongue so the trailer jack would have a 4" spot to bolt to instead of only 2" spot.

So now i am ready to continue on with painting the trailer and then can finally move on to the boat!

imagedilh.jpg

imagepao.jpg

imageqbr.jpg

Well took a break on the boat trailer but now im back!

Last time I left off I had gotten my tongue repaired then I went and painted the now "Black Beauty"

Got the wench post up, new wench, rubber V stop. Built my Bunk boards last weekend, just need to mount them then sit that boat back on the trailer!

Here's where im at right now.

imageolh.jpg

imageqoe.jpg

imagennav.jpg

theyyounggun said:
Are you not going to do side bunks?

Oh yes, i got a little ahead of myself, I plan on doing side bunks as well.

I saw someone post on there boat instead of doing the side bunks horizontal the turned them verticle, i kind of like that idea. I'm not to crazy about putting the PVC on my trailer since I went with an all Black theme and I dont want to paint PVC. Plus i Have plenty of carpet left over to do it. Then if I want to mount my trailers light to it i can.

Trapper02 said:
theyyounggun said:
Are you not going to do side bunks?

Oh yes, i got a little ahead of myself, I plan on doing side bunks as well.

I saw someone post on there boat instead of doing the side bunks horizontal the turned them verticle, i kind of like that idea. I'm not to crazy about putting the PVC on my trailer since I went with an all Black theme and I dont want to paint PVC. Plus i Have plenty of carpet left over to do it. Then if I want to mount my trailers light to it i can.
If you did want to do the PVC they have black in the plumbing section at lowes. It's not painted but solid black. That way if it scratches it will still be black. :D

Cool did not know that, just figured white and gray was all there was.

I'll still probably carpet since i have plenty of it, and I can get free 2x4 Yellow Pine from the Family business. :)

Trapper02 said:
Cool did not know that, just figured white and gray was all there was.

I'll still probably carpet since i have plenty of it, and I can get free 2x4 Yellow Pine from the Family business. :)
Free is the best word ever invented! I love how my gray carpet looks on my black trailer to. And when you step back from it and can see the green/grey boat with the black/grey trailer it looks sharp!

Nice job on ur build as well just checked it out. Coming along nicely sir!

Going to pick up my motor in the morning! Gotta get some sleep.

Heck yea I did!

Left out about 8:45 two hour drive in the jeep back home by 1:00pm with my new motor!

She needs some love but I think she will be a good fit for my boat. I'll have some pics to post up in a bit.

I need to construct one of those outboard motor holder things so it will be easier to work on instead of leaving it on the ground.

Not trying to be funny but I wish mine looked that good..Mine get salt water every week or 2 and they look Ruff have to replace ever 2/3 years..If you want to clean up sand blast or wire brush.Spray with Galvanized Spray paint...Then after there Really dry spray with LPS 3 ..The other option is skip the Galv. paint and just Use LPS 3.. If your not Familiar with LPS they make 3 types :LPS 1 is kinda like WD40:LPS 2 is kinda like oil; And LPS 3 is kinda like a waxy grease made to stay a year or so,once it kinda dries it feels waxey...Corrosion X makes a long term spray too...cva34

This post is over due, but here she is in all her glory!

A 2 hr drive both ways but this vintage beauty is ready propell my tinboat to the best of bass spots.

Just been busy with the holidays, baby girl, and fighting a cold, but I'm ready to dive in a get this girl up and running, so I can get her a new paint job.

First thing I need to do build a stand for the outboard and get her off the ground. Any tips or plans to one would be appreciated.

He said its a 57 but all the pics I seen on 57 have the white top on the cowl. As you can see this one is red I need to get the numbers off the motor I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 377
Found a YouTube video on how to make an outboard motor stand looks simple enough.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4ro1nRa5U1o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4ro1nRa5U1o

Latest posts