Can I safely remove the front bench

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
Just wondering if I could get some advice on if I can safely remove the front bench without it effecting anything. The boat is 14ft long, the beam a little over 5 foot and has a 3/4" solid floor that runs the lenght of the boat. What my plan is to remove the bench and install a pedestal seat for the wife. Do you think adding a small raise deck (maybe 6 inches high) would help. I guess that I am just concerned with the boat staying rigid in the water. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 491
  • Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 491
Opinions will vary, but mine is that removing the seat and adding a deck will be just fine .... and will make the boat much more comfortable to fish from.

I would not advise removing front bench unless you build in a good support for the hull comparable to what was there....especially with a split middle bench already. The front bench is structurally important and is first to be hit by waves. Many of us have removed middle or half the middle bench and even at that I have noticed some loss of structural integrity. Many of us have also made a flat deck up front over top the bench and added pedestal seat.

Here was what I came up with for my 5yr old to fish out of the front. He was to short for a pedestal seat when I designed this but this year with him being 7yrs old and taller I may go to an 8" pedestal base for him.
DSCN5609.JPG

Johny25 said:
I would not advise removing front bench unless you build in a good support for the hull comparable to what was there....especially with a split middle bench already. The front bench is structurally important and is first to be hit by waves. Many of us have removed middle or half the middle bench and even at that I have noticed some loss of structural integrity. Many of us have also made a flat deck up front over top the bench and added pedestal seat.

Here was what I came up with for my 5yr old to fish out of the front. He was to short for a pedestal seat when I designed this but this year with him being 7yrs old and taller I may go to an 8" pedestal base for him.

I agree with Johny25. If you're out on a lake and have to go through another boats wake or get caught in rough water the front needs to be solid. Nice looking boat btw.

Latest posts