Anti-slip for bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Guys, I've been searching for about the last hour it seems for some anti-slip, adhesive-backed, material for the bow of my boat. The ladder safety tread stick-on style is avaialblwe at my local Lowe's, but I'd rather not have two pieces (I know, I'm picky, lol). Would also prefer the diamond-tread pattern of something instead of the usual gritty stuff (being picky again). I found the stuff Cabela's sells (Marine Mat), and the size is good, but it's had some bad reviews for the adhesive coming free from the back. Anyone know where I could order some of the stuff I'm looking for? Black or Gray preferred (being picky again, lol) :lol:

go with the stuff from cabela's the glue only comes off if exposed to weather it will be fine sitting in your garage while you cut wood and other projects

That did cross my mind, lol :lol:

Here's a pic of where I want to put the non-slip stuff:
normal_bow1_non-skid.JPG

Lemme ask my dad later. He is going to get me some to put on the anchor hatch lid. The bow of my Yazoo already had the stuff, and it is definitely worthwhile to put it on there.

kentuckybassman said:
redbug said:
go with the stuff from cabela's the glue only comes off if exposed to weather it will be fine sitting in your garage while you cut wood and other projects
THAT was funny =D> Sorry WW but he got ya on that one. :wink:

Yep, got me good, lol :lol:

bassboy1 said:
Lemme ask my dad later. He is going to get me some to put on the anchor hatch lid. The bow of my Yazoo already had the stuff, and it is definitely worthwhile to put it on there.

Thanks bassboy. A link would work fine :)

You can get 6 x 24 inch sections from here.
https://www.floormat.com/safetywalk.html

Get large amounts pretty cheap on ebay, but they are still skinny strips.
https://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=anti+slip+tape&category0=

Since you don't want seams, this place has them in sizes that will probably better suite you, but I don't know how to order.
https://www.deltapaper.com/antislip_craft_paper.html

I am finding many places that sell in 4 and 6 inch widths. The above one is the only one that I have found in a better width. Grainger has 5.5 inch squares on sale, but that is a lot of piecing together. The biggest thing is that these come in 60 foot rolls, and everyone and their brother sells 60 foot rolls, but nobody sells smaller quantities.

My Yazoo had 6 inch wide strips pieced together, and from the amount of fading, I would say it has probably been there awhile, and I would wager that it came out of the factory that way in '81. The seams are not pulling up a bit. When I cover my anchor hatch, I will probably put 6 inch wide strips on it.

What about from a skateboard shop? They sell all sorts of griptape with adhesive for skateboards, something might work for you.

Just a thought.

WW,

Not sure if you have resolved your issue but I tried this stuff on my tounge (the trailer tounge Dave) and it isn't very rough but seems to be pretty slip resistant. Size is only limited to your creativity.

non-skid.png

https://www.krylon.com/products/nonskid_coating

flounderhead59 said:
WW,

Not sure if you have resolved your issue but I tried this stuff on my tounge (the trailer tounge Dave) and it isn't very rough but seems to be pretty slip resistant. Size is only limited to your creativity.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

flounderhead59 said:
Size is only limited to your creativity.

Hmmm, so many directions to go - ok

1. I tell my wife this everyday!

2. I am a creative thinker

and

3. There are no limits to creativity

Waterwings said:
Nope, haven't resolved the issue yet. I'll check out Lowe's for the spray-on stuff, and it looks like it might do the trick. Thanks! 8)

I got mine at Gander Mountain. I would love to tell you what section but I don't know, it was on the discounted table becasue the cap was broken.

Waterwings said:
Have you already used some on your rig? If so, how's it holding-up?

I've only put it on the tongue of the trailer so far and I scuffed the surfase to prep it and put on 3 coats, waiting about an hour between each. The other day I had to jump on the tongue when recovering the boat and it's got a good grip on it (both shoe to paint and paint to trailer) Of course that is painted on a good solid base paint. I'm almost thinking of painting the tops of my rails as that paint is getting pretty scratched up and bare metal is showing. I would guess I'd have to take them down to bare metal and use some sort of self etching primer first.