1860 speed question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1860angler

Reaction score
I just bought a 2013 alumacraft 1860 tunnel hull with 50hp Yamaha 4stroke tiller. It seems like a great boat, but with a 10 1/2 X11G stainless steel Yamaha prop I can only get 24mph. I think I'm loaded relatively light, but I've got the starting battery and 2 batteries for my 24 volt trolling motor in the back. I also have the gas tank and myself there and I just wonder if its to much weight in the back. I need some advice on this setup and there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the net about this certain boat. I may move the motor up a hole or 2 to see how speed goes.

Move as much weight forward as you can. I even used buckets of sand once. Also make sure your cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat. Play around with the weight etc. Maybe even try a 12p or 13p prop

I put the anchor in front for my trip tomorrow to see if it helps and I'll move the motor up. The reason I moved it all the way down is because it was blowing out turning, but I think it was a matter of an aluminum prop vs stainless. Now that I have the stainless I'm going to move it back up to see if that helps. I don't have an RPM gauge so I'm not sure what my RPMS are wide open, but that would probably help. It seems to plain out quickly but just not run very flat. I kind of thought maybe that was just the nature of the beast with the tunnel hull.

10.5 seems like such a small prop. My 40 ETEC turns a 13.5x15 prop. It pushes my 1752 about 30mph. This is an aluminum prop though.

the I believe the gearcase on Yamaha is smaller than the etec. I don't know if it will even take a 13.5" prop. I had a 12pitch aluminum prop on it and last year I though it ran about 28mph, but when I bought stainless I went down a pitch, per recommendation of the dealer.

Move as much of that weight as you can, forward. I relocated my two TM batt's to under the CC (about 4') and it helped how my boat handles a LOT.

But in selecting the right prop, you'll need to know what your RPM's are. Without knowing that, you will just be guessing. Propper motor setup is also a factor, and something that should be addressed before you buy a prop. My advice is consult a true prop guru before you buy anything. Steve's Custom Props in Emory, Tx are just that. They build their own line of jackplates (rapid jack), and do custom prop work as well. They don't just sell and repair props, they assist boaters in achieving the optimum setup for their particular rig and its use. If that means taking a new prop and adding cup or rake, then that's what they do. These guys know their stuff. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but am a satisfied customer, along with anyone else I've talked to that's done business with them. It certainly can't hurt to call them and talk about your rig.

With a tunnel, I'd want a jackplate for sure (you don't mention having one now), if for no other reason than to take advantage of the added clearance you can attain, then comes selecting the prop that optimizes that setup.

All that said, tunnels are not known to be speed demons, and with a 50hp motor on a tunnel hull 1860, I doubt you are going to see any massive gains in speed over where you are now. But stranger things have happened.

Keep us posted on what you do, and the results of that. I had SCP setup my old glass BB, and saw some significant improvements in every asoect of handling and performance. Running that boat skinny was never a concern, but I did gain some draft as well. I haven't taken my Xpress to them yet, but need to stop procrastinating and do it. My Xpress does OK with factory rigging, but I feel there are some noticeable gains to be had on it too.

From Yamahas Performance Bulletins..............

https://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/ALM_MV1756SC_F50LB_2015-08-20_ALM_0.pdf

Tunnel hulls are made for shallow water and running flat on the water . W the bow up the stern is deeper in the water defeating the tunnel hulls purpose. As said before get the weight towards the front and the boat should ride flatter and faster as it's not pushing the water but riding over it.

Check out the difference in speed between the tunnel and non tunnel boats w the same power/props.....

https://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_midthrustjetport_al_g3b_1860cct_f90tlr_2010-05-12_alm.pdf

https://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/G3B_1860CC_F90LA_2013-06-24_ALM.pdf