Boat crank winch ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front handle on my jon boat broke from using it to winch the boat onto the trailer.
I added a stainless steel u-bolt to attach the winch to.

Handles are not made for winching. It would be wise to add a ubolt and reinforce the hull where the ubolt is going through. I use wood scraps cut to about 3"x4"(or what ever size fits) then fender washers, regular flat washers, and nylon lock nuts. The force exerted by the winch needs to be spread out over a larger area.

fishmonger said:
Handles are not made for winching. It would be wise to add a ubolt and reinforce the hull where the ubolt is going through. I use wood scraps cut to about 3"x4"(or what ever size fits) then fender washers, regular flat washers, and nylon lock nuts. The force exerted by the winch needs to be spread out over a larger area.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EXACTLY!

On a V-hulled boat I once took an ingot of lead I use for casting bullets for reloading and cut it into a 'V' shape. On the top of the 'V' I drilled down through it for the 2-holes through which the stainless steel 'U'-bolt would go through. Covered the threaded portion of threads with marine grease, then adhesive-lined heatshrink ... put the U-bolt in from the outside (corresponding holes drilled of course), added the lead V as a heavy-duty backer, then threaded nylok nuts onto the bolt studs.

Worked like a charm!

FYI, I take aims to insulate any SS from parent aluminum on my boats, that's why the extra protection, as in the saltwater environment, aluminum is far less noble than SS and the aluminum will give way (technically 'erode') in deference to the electric potential between it and the SS. And saltwater is a perfect electrolyte condition to exacerbate this potential ...

All good advice above.

You might also consider adding 3x4 plastic guttering to the top of your bunks. Sliding the boat up and off is then MUCH easier than doing it off of carpet. Here is a LINK.

Cost should be around $15.00 . Don't release your straps until the hull is over the water....pretty slick stuff. richg99

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40137

Latest posts