14' MirroCraft Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hcsdchief said:
I used to much thompson's on my plywood and it made it pretty oily and the carpet didn't want to stick to the wood.

Is using a staple gun with S/S staples an option you are willing to consider?

flounderhead59 said:
hcsdchief said:
I used to much thompson's on my plywood and it made it pretty oily and the carpet didn't want to stick to the wood.

Is using a staple gun with S/S staples an option you are willing to consider?

Yep, in fact that's what I used to carpet my bunks this past weekend. Are you suggesting forgoing the glue altogether and just using staples?

Thanks,

Mark

Here's a sketch of what I'm planning. Both the bow and stern decks are 48" long, with a 24" mini-deck located even with the gunnels at the extreme end of the bow. This mini-deck is simply to provide a storage area underneath, and perhaps mount a bow trolling motor at a later date.The red item is the gas tank and the blue item is a cooler, both located underneath the rear deck. The black box is the battery which I plan to locate under the front deck. The boxes with circles around them represent seats ; one pedestal mount on each of the decks and two located on a bench amidships. The other rectangles represent hatches over storage lockers and are not to scale yet. The 19.5" rectangle represents the steering console, and the little box just behind it on the starboard side is the shifter.

mod1.jpg

Any comments on the need, or not, to attach the decks to the sides would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

monsterkat11 said:
do we have another user of solidworks on the forum?

I'm probably more of an "abuser" of SolidWorks, but I muddle through. The tough stuff I send downstairs to the draftsman!

Mark

Well, I've done more rethinking that I have decking! But I believe I've finally settled on a layout that I can make work. After actually getting out and seeing things in 3-D, I've settled on the following layout:

layout_2_Small.jpg

and now I've finally started adding the deck supports!

Decking_Start_small.jpg

I got the idea for having the cooler below the forward deck from looking at the Tracker Panfish 17 at my local Bass Pro:

TPF17OHO07_OH_08_700.jpg

You can't see it in the picture, because they have it disconnected, but the deck hatch is actually connected to the cooler lid via a nylon strap. When you open the deck hatch the cooler lid opens with it.

I know, it doesn't take much to impress me. :roll:

So what happened? Perhaps I am missing some posts? This is a hell of a project... loving every picture and sentence. Giving me many ideas about my current bucket of rivets and possible future ones.

One suggestion to you would have been to use either poly-fiberglass resin or epoxy resin to encase that transom support wood. It would out last you and I in longevity.

One question; How did you get a hold of FREE aluminum? One heck of a score!!! How many feet worth did you get?

That is some fine work there Mossy! Keep at it and soon you will be out fishing in it! =D>

Its looking really good, I cant wait to see the finished product!!!

Thanks for all the comments guys, they're much appreciated.

cprince said:
So what happened? Perhaps I am missing some posts? This is a hell of a project... loving every picture and sentence. Giving me many ideas about my current bucket of rivets and possible future ones.

You're not missing anything, I'm just running behind. All the aluminum framing is complete so I need to post up some more pics. I've also got all the decking cut. Right now the only things that are left to be done are:

1. Seal the wood
2. Fabricate console
3. Install carpet
4. Install steering
5. Do a bit of maintenance on the motor.

Winter (what winter we have around here) has slowed me down a bit, but as soon as it gets warm enough to lay on the spar urethane and carpet glue I'll be finishing her up. In the mean time, I guess I could be doing the routine maintenance on the motor. :roll:

cprince said:
One suggestion to you would have been to use either poly-fiberglass resin or epoxy resin to encase that transom support wood. It would out last you and I in longevity.

Now you tell me! :lol:

cprince said:
One question; How did you get a hold of FREE aluminum? One heck of a score!!! How many feet worth did you get?

We had a bunch of angle aluminum piled up out back of the plant. It was bought as scrap over the years for various small projects and what wasn't used was just thrown in a pile. The plant manager told me to have at it, so I did. Overall, I probably took about 80'-100'.

who pooted? said:
What kinda paint did you use and did you use rivots or bolts for framing?

I used Duplicolor self-etching primer from AutoZone:

dupdap1690003.jpg

and Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Nutmeg from Home Depot:

PT_StnGrnite_SP.jpg

All the framing was done using pop rivets.