1962 Sea King Five Updated 10-30-08

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

I always admire people like you who can take a project from start to finish and do it well, most definitely much better
out come then I had.

Did do anything to the power head, like the pistons and had to redo the engine timing or anything like that ?

That looks like a really old motor, did you get those parts locally or online ?

Congrats,
Regards.

Thanks again everyone :beer:

SVNET said:
Did do anything to the power head, like the pistons and had to redo the engine timing or anything like that ?

I did not open up the powerhead (not even the head off) only the exaust plate to make sure there wasnt any blockage. I did replace the points, condensers, plug wires and plugs. I set the points with a feeler gauge to what was stamped on the flywheel .020.. Had carb rebuilt by a friend that runs a boat shop which consisted of taking it apart and soaking it in his tank and putting it back together with a new carb kit. I also replaced all seals in the lower unit. And new water pump kit (impeller,wear plate, powerhead base gasket, crankshaft oil seal(cork) and o-ring.

SVNET said:
That looks like a really old motor, did you get those parts locally or online ?

All parts were purchased locally @ Napa after calling them with part # from their online SE catalog and ordering it. Except the water pump kit which I got from https://www.vintageoutboard.com/ because I didnt know the part #'s for the gasket, seals, since i dont have any manuals for it. I could have purchased parts cheaper thru
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.html but I opted for the next day pickup @ Napa

Total approx cost of parts and paint $150
Tank, Tank Fitting, Fuel Line, and 1q of Johnson/Evinrude Premium 2 cycle oil and 3g of gas= $82.50
Bringing A 46 year old outboard back to life = Priceless

This did end up costing a bit more than expected, but was worth it just for the experience of bringing a 46 year old motor back to life.
:beer: \:D/

Awesome...

You did a good job, it looks clean, it seems to be running great and that there is left is to enjoy it, put some hours on it...

I do wish that I knew someone that would help me with mine, but at $95/hr shop rate, I think I will stick to trolling motor for now.

What kind of seat pedestal do you have, they seem to be at the right height...

I got the standard ones at walmart but they ended up being to high, it almost feels as you can tip the narrow boat of mine by seating so high, but still I would like to left the seat at least 3in off the benches...

Happy boating, happy fishing....

Take care.

Hi all,

Have same Sea king 5hp outboard and was wondering how you removed the flywheel to get to condensers.

Thanks alot

To answer your question on the shift shaft bushing tool. It is a special tool. There is a small diameter change in the long rod used to drive out the bushing. That tool is being reproduced by a man named Frank Robb, in Florida. You can get ahold of him by going to AOMCi.org and asking about the tool in the Ask-a-Member section. I have one and the tool was pretty inexpensive. Those old shift rod o-rings always leak! Since you have brought one old classic back into service I am betting you will bring more back. It's kind of an addiction!!