2002 G3 1756 DLX CC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I touched up the painted areas under the masking tape with tan camo Rustoleum and also touched up the outside of the gunwales with OD green camo Rustoleum from the nonskid down to the bottom of the gunwale cap seam. I left a little overspray on the sides of the boat that will later be covered by a vinyl mossy oak breakup wrap or camo clad.

Today at work I decided I didn't want to ride around in a boat that looked like it was half painted or just had overspray on it so when I got home I scraped off all the numbers, and very carefully removed the registration sticker and put it in a safe place. Then took the sander to it and the wire wheel to what was left of the adhesive where the G3 stickers were. I then sprayed it all off and let it dry. Later I went back out and cleaned it with degreaser.

Tomorrow I am going to prime the areas that were taken down to bare metal with rustoleum filler primer, let it dry, then wipe the whole thing down with mineral spirits and put 2-3 coats of OD green Rustoleum camo on it. It will look very similar to the green that Alumacraft or Tracker uses. I used it on my swamp sled and most people couldn't tell that the console, and floors were a different shade of OD green than the boat was. I even used it to touch up the boat whenever it got scratched. Its very good durable, long lasting, quality paint. Especially when you properly prepare the surface.

I will then put on some new numbers and ATTEMPT to Re-apply my registration sticker. If I fail with the reg sticker it will be a $42.00 failure. I am determined to make it work. Even if I have to put it on by using clear tape over it or applying more adhesive to the sticky side. I know that the DMV (in florida we call it the Tax Collecters Office) will not get any more money from me simply based on principle!

The tricky part is going to be getting the boat to hang about 4 feet off the trailer for a little while so I can paint the area that is coverd up by the side bunks when it sits on the trailer. I have a plan to use tie down straps hooked to a tree and to the boats tow hooks. I will then loosen the winch and pull the trailer out from under the boat, every so carefully untill I have it far enough to get the area painted quickly. I will then winch the boat back up and finish the job with the boat securely on the trailer.

I will take some pics of the surface before, during primer application, and after painting tomorrow. And of my strapping it to the tree and pulling the trailer out from under it. LOL. I figure it cant tip too much if I leave the motor down. It wont hurt the prop or skeg any to hit the soft sand in my FL yard. It hits the sand in the creek all the time.

Sounds like an interesting project lol. Can' you just remove the side bunks ? I've got the same boat, maybe the trailer is different but on mine I can move the bunks easily and no issues to reach the area to paint. I can even paint the vast majority of the bottom of the boat while on the trailer. Be careful and post up some pics.

Thats what I thought too. The other day I was looking at them to see how much work it would be. They are a part of the trailer! I just got done painting it and will post the pics. It really wasn't that big of a deal. No tipping or anything.

I only primed the bare metal surfaces.

I suppose I could have removed the carpeted bunks from the supports (they are part of the trailer) but what I did was pretty easy and the bolts that hold the bunks on are pretty corroded. Still sturdy but corroded enough I don't want to mess with them untill its time to replace the bunks.

Attachments

• primed1.jpg
    primed1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • primed2.jpg
    primed2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,224
Here it is after 1 coat.

I hooked up my trailer to the truck and then straps from the tow hooks on the boat to my Wifes Honda. Then just pulled the trailer out from under the boat.

Attachments

• 1stcoat.jpg
    1stcoat.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • rearpull.jpg
    rearpull.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,222
  • trailerpull.jpg
    trailerpull.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,222
I have a few more things to get done.

1. Re-upholster the CC seat and seat back with the Mossy Oak breakup material I picked up from Wally world.

2. Order the StyxRiver NeoMat in Mossy Oak breakup next weekend and install it.

3. Put some tires on the factory rims that I painted. I thought the ones on it were 13's but they are acutally only 12" rims. I don't trust them for anything other than local trips.

4. Im going to try to polish the fiberglass Center Console one more time. This time using a high speed buffer and some serious polishing compound. If that does not work its going to get sanded and painted in the same Tan Camo that the interior of the boat is done it.

5. After Christmas sometime I plan on getting the bottom coated with steel flex, gator glide, or frog spit. I will also do the vinyl wrap at that time as well.

As for accessories I want to get a hand controlled trolling motor. Im trying to get the biggest 12 volt TM I can find for the bow. And some sort of depth/fish finder/gps. A handheld VHF radio too for use up near the inlet and maybe a little calm weather op's just offshore or around the coastal islands like Amelia Island

I got a few more things done this weekend. I painted the bottom of the boat, put my registration sticker back on (with glue) and put some new Numbers on. I also painted the console because it would not buff out and look good.

I re-upholstered the Center Console seats in Mossy Oak Breakup to match the seats I bought and the Styx River mat I will be ordering next week for the floor. While I was getting the paint I came across some Mossy Oak breakup tape. I put that on my chrome grab handle on the the center console and on my Navigation light poles.

Attachments

• bottompaint.jpg
    bottompaint.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,204
I got 2 new tires to fit on the original rims that I painted black. Should be able to pick them up tonight and get them mounted on the rims. I did not know that it was cheaper to buy new tires and rims as a package deal than it is to get the tires by themselves. If I mount them myself I might save $10 bucks in the end.

But since I put all the work into cleaning up, priming and painting the old rims I went ahead and just got the tires.

Yesterday I ordered the Styx River Neo mats. I called them and talked on the phone to place my order. They were great to work with, and shipped my order the same day.

I ordered 3 linear yards. it comes in 5ft width and 3ft or 1 yd increments. 3 linear yds is Which is 5'x9'. It should be here tomorrow or Thurs. I hope to have it trimmed and installed by Fri.

Here is a couple shots from a trip the other day.

Attachments

• 205925_1461994045788_1711578803_712507_3728628_n.jpg
    205925_1461994045788_1711578803_712507_3728628_n.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 281802_1461994205792_1711578803_712508_5184392_n.jpg
    281802_1461994205792_1711578803_712508_5184392_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,722
Looking awesome. I have a G3 1860CC with tunnel. I purchased hydroturf for front and back decks and think I am going to do duragrid interlocking mats for the rest of the floor. Have not finished installing the hydroturf due to kids and weather. Hoping to finish it this week. You got a great boat there! Enjoy!

Coming along nicely! Pretty much planning the same route with my 09 that I posted way earlier in the thread. BUT... Linex it will be and I'll get some paint to match the hull from the dealer and not being familiar with spray guns etc., unless I can find a "deal", I'll go the roller route for the outer and inner hull areas, Styx River matting for the flooring in as long as you are liking the product once done and I'm thinking to camo the sides and stern with stencils. Been way to **** hot here in N. Florida even just to fish let alone take on a big project. Come October, early November that will be the time to tackle the boat work.

Keep the updates coming !

Latest posts