5-22-09 Acworth Bream

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
I decided to head over to Lake Acworth this evening, to do a little bream fishing. Stopped by the bait store and bought a tube of crickets, and tub of red wigglers. Launched around 6:30, and at my first stop (long stretch of weedy shoreline), I was immediately getting bit. Couldn't get a hookup though. Change a few things in my setup, and I started getting hookups. Got 5 in the boat fairly quickly, then it started sprinkling, and the bite stopped. Headed over to another section of the lake, and got one more. Once it stopped sprinkling, and started to get dark, the bite came back on. I found one hole in the weeds that got me 15 more fish in about 20 casts. They were hitting it immediately. I kept casting into the hole, and as I set the rod down to rig the other one, the bobber immediately went diving into the depths. As it started getting completely black, the bite started slowing again. I finally left when I couldn't see the fluorescent bobber 15 feet from me.

Most of the fish were about between the size of this fish, and 1.5 inch longer.
5-22-09AcworthBream001.jpg

This guy got little fish of the night. There was one other about like him.
5-22-09AcworthBream003.jpg

Ended with 21 total. Mostly on crickets. A few came on worms, however.

What kind of tackle are you using, ultra light? I haven't fished for bream since I was your age or younger, but best I remember a big ole slab bluegill on an ultra light spinning rod was a lot of fun. I guess the reason I quit fishing for them was that a large percentage of the time they would be gut hooked which was no problem if you were fishing for dinner, but no so good for catch and release.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Nice Job BB! Those panfish sure are fun to catch...especially on ultra-lite tackle!

poolie said:
What kind of tackle are you using, ultra light? I haven't fished for bream since I was your age or younger, but best I remember a big ole slab bluegill on an ultra light spinning rod was a lot of fun. I guess the reason I quit fishing for them was that a large percentage of the time they would be gut hooked which was no problem if you were fishing for dinner, but no so good for catch and release.

Sounds like you had a great time!
I don't have a quality ultralight rod, so I used just a 5'6 light action spinning rod, as well as a 5'6 light spincast rod (yet there are 400 dollar baitcast setups in my rod box - kinda funny). Light bobber, and #6 hook. I think I only had 2 gut hooks the whole night, and both of those were due to the boat drifting towards the bait, so I had to reel in a whole bunch of slack before setting the hook. I found that with the least buoyant float I could use, the fish wouldn't feel resistance, and would swim with it immediately, which allowed quick hooksets. With the heavier bobber, it would yank out of the mouth, so not only did I miss more fish, the only time I could get a hookset was when they didn't pull down against it, thus allowing them time to swallow it before I managed to stick 'um.

BB,

Next time bring you a balloon and rig up one of those size bream and see if you can't find one of those Acworth Hawgs I've heard about.