Fighting at the launch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boat landing can certainly be a frustrating place...

On any given weekend I can pretty much expect to see someone not taking their turn and just generally ignoring the proper boat landing etiquette... It's just life. It sucks, but a lot of people are just simply inconsiderate. I try not to get worked up and just do my own thing, but sometimes it's hard to keep your cool... Typically, I get more upset when a lot of these guys come in and just kind of walk all over those that are obviously not as good at loading and unloading a boat and that really pisses me off. Personally, I like to try to lend a hand to those folks that are having a hard time and help keep things moving, but for some reason, a lot of guys like to just sit there and watch them flounder as they ***** and moan about it taking so long. Help them out for cryin' outs! The whole process is an art that takes a few tries to master: show a little class and have some patience!

That being said, one of the great perks of working for a school is that during the summer months, I can do all my fishing during the weekdays when there is nobody at the landings and just avoid them on the weekends. I may complain during the school year about my job, but around this time every year I am reminded that it certainly has its perks!

dyeguy1212 said:
KMixson said:
They all want to fight until you want to fight. Then they run.

Truest statement ever

not always... dang near cost me a lot of money. But luckily I had witnesses to say he threw the first punch. Be careful ever bowing up on a guy with a camo hat on if you ever make it to a southern lake

russ010 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
KMixson said:

Truest statement ever

not always... dang near cost me a lot of money. But luckily I had witnesses to say he threw the first punch. Be careful ever bowing up on a guy with a camo hat on if you ever make it to a southern lake

which would be 95% of the people that you see in an aluminum boat on a southern lake. :lol:

Never had or seen any commotion at the ramps around these parts. The only time ive had to sit and wait is when tourists or senoirs have to load their boats after they launch on the dock. Never bothers me i just offer a hand or sit back and pop a beer and enjoy the small things. i avoid the ramps at prime tourist / jetski rush hour, ill just head to our little river instead of the lake

sure wouldnt mind see'ing somthing interesting at the ramp every now and then as long as im not part of it :LOL2:

Don't usually post this kind of stuff but what the hell, I'm getting old. Was at a ramp on the local river several years ago waiting my turn and this jerk in a Chevy Blazer with two jet skis tried to cut in line to get launched. I yelled the normal HEY WTF you to good to wait in line. He smart mouths back and I moved forward more so that he could not get in. At this time he jumps out of his truck, reach's under the seat and comes out with a 2 foot long piece of 1" towing cable all black taped up. He's coming hot and fast and and there is no doubt in my mind that he has pulled this crap before. I get out of my truck and guess what, being a cop for 25 years at the time it was all I could do not to end him right there but I was nice. At about 10 feet I drew, aimed and told him one more step and he was all done. Bottom line he stopped, I put him down, the *** started crying that he didn't mean nothing and then I noticed HIS kid. I let dad up and told the kid NOT TO BE AN *** LIKE HIS DAD. It will come back to bite you. Took his name and information called it in and released him. He left real quick!! The world is full of them but at least for 34 years I got to have my say!!

russ010 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
KMixson said:

Truest statement ever

There has to be more to this story

Troutman3000 said:
russ010 said:

There has to be more to this story

there is... but it might be best reserved for our fishing trip in the near future. I'll say this - I was the one wearing the camo hat... and I don't get heated that easy, but when I've been waiting to get the boat out of the water for 30min - I'm usually ready to go and don't like it when people cut me off and wave while they do it with a big ol' grin on their face. I guess he thought his $40K Mobius was more important than my $1200 jon boat.

russ010 said:

... or lucky Clemson hat either ;-)

poolie said:

actually - it was my Camo Clemson hat :mrgreen:

was that you at Acworth with me when that guy came by in his kayak between us and the bank?

I've had 2 run-ins like this this year during tournaments... needless to say, I wasn't as forgiving as I was that day

russ010 said:
poolie said:

actually - it was my Camo Clemson hat :mrgreen:

was that you at Acworth with me when that guy came by in his kayak between us and the bank?

I've had 2 run-ins like this this year during tournaments... needless to say, I wasn't as forgiving as I was that day

Yep... what a dweeb.

You know, I haven't been on Acworth since then. I need to go again.

Dyeguy, man did you hit a nerve. Sounds like this happens to everyone. Maybe we need a superhero to intervene at the ramps and smite the wrong-doers. Dunk50 seems to have the technique down pretty well, maybe he'd like the job.

:twisted: This kind of crap happens everywhere. I can tell you this.... NO ONE will ever ruin my day because of there stupid actions. Just ignore them!!! Go about your business and enjoy your time on the water with family and friends.

Full on fisticuffs, no, but I've mixed words with a few idiots.

My most recent experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, mostly because I've erred on the side of being too nice, and not being a mouthier a$$ to those who really deserve it...

I often frequent our local 'urban' lake as it's only 10min from the house and big enough to really have some fun with the kid, family, etc. The only downside to this lake is that there are A LOT of rowers there who primary use the lake for exercise, not angling, and feel that they have MORE of a right to be there than you..."you're just fishing, right?".

On one of the last trips it was just my son (7, nearly 8 ), one our dogs (the dumb pug...not implying we have a smart one, or that smart pugs exist, but she is his favorite dog), and I. (This was also the 1st trip with the dog on the boat...the kid's been begging me to bring her for a while now and this was the first "cooler" day to safely do so).

Just as we were launching and tying up our little 12' V-hull, a rower lands her 18' sculler in the middle of the ramp....it was dead so I really have a problem with it or really pay her any attention other than a nod and smile. She quickly exited her craft and the first thing she said to me (before even pulling her boat out of the water) was "it's pretty hot out here for that dog". I think to myself, "really, you really feel the need to say that to me/us?". Being a guy who was formally an a$$ to people who didn't deserve it, and who's turned the leaf for better, I kindly reply "hmm, is it pretty hot out there on the water today?" She scowls at me and say, "ya, especially for that dog". I was pretty angry, but realized it was over nothing so the kid, dog, and I left the boat on the dock to park the truck/trailer in the lot.

After parking and walking back to the ramp I notice that her partner has rowed up and the two of them are now retrieving their boats. Just as we're about to leave the asphalt of the ramp and enter the dock my kid (mind you, he's 7, and notices the things 7-year-olds do) sees a broken part of a plastic toy and stops to inspect it. He asks me what it is and I take the time to take a closer look. As we're looking at it (like 30 seconds at most), the rower says "that dog's going to over heat" in a pretty snotty tone. Now, I'm pretty shocked that someone would go so far out of their way to meddle in someone else's business, BUT, I'm a nice guy, I've turned a new leaf remember, so I politely say, "nah, don't think so, my boat's metal, unlike yours...it keeps nice and cold in the water, and we brought the dog a lot of water for on the lake, ice water too". She nearly cuts me off and condescendingly says, "I'm talking about now, on the asphalt". Really? REALLY? YOU feel the NEED to give ME hell about this? This NOTHING? REALLY?!? (I got an idea, why don't you shut the hell up and let me get in my boat!)

Anyway, I do the nice thing, shrug her off, be the better person, turn the other cheek, and we go about our weekday fishing trip. But not without my son asking (for the next 20 min or so), "Dad, why was that lady so mean?", "Dad, is our dog going to be ok?", "Dad, it's not too hot, right?", "Dad, why are some people filled with such hate?". I hate having to explain to kids that some people are just rude and feel the need to meddle in your business, even if they mean well.

I wish I told her that it wasn't her dog and that she needed to mind her own business, but I was so shocked at the time that someone would even say that kind of stuff to another person MINDING THEIR OWN BUSINESS.

I've seen her on the lake since then (without our dog), not sure if she remembers me, but my son always asks, "Hey Dad, isn't that the mean lady?". Out loud, "Yep son, it is...", (under my breath) "hope she sinks today".

Now the fireside chat. Whatever YOU believe is YOUR business, NOT MINE.

What really shocked me is that someone would go as far to harass others about their choices; to bring a dog (with proper provisions) on a warm (not hot) early summer day.

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with this slightly controversial topic, or my fireside chat, but it sure felt good to get it off my chest.

If I ever see her out there again, and she feels the need to crush my kid's "dog on the boat" experience, she'll get a (respectful) ear full from me.

fish devil said:
:twisted: This kind of crap happens everywhere. I can tell you this.... NO ONE will ever ruin my day because of there stupid actions. Just ignore them!!! Go about your business and enjoy your time on the water with family and friends.

Dido! =D>

azekologi - We've all come across stupid people who have nothing better to do than meddle. Sorry your' kid had to witness it, but you had the right reaction showing that it does not affect you.

As to steriotypes - You probably offended their nonstandard lifestyle by offering the perfect family picture of father, son and dog enjoying the lake together. Certain people get great joy and purpose when inflicting their beliefs on others. Most of the time they are just looking for a fight and an excuse to claim bigotry and persecution. You did well by not playing into their hands. I know what you mean by still being ticked though.

bobberboy said:
azekologi - I can't help with the main issue, but if you put that pug on a really big hook it might make some kind of muskie bait

LOL! I was bass fishing once when northern pike started picking ducklings off one by one. I tried to catch him and had one blowup at a topwater, but he liked the ducks better.

azekologi

I have to disagree guys. Don't care about her partner preference but her business stops where mine begins. My dog, my kid, my boat and my time. The boy would have been in the truck while I told her to GFHS, she doesn't need a partner. Turn the other cheek my butt, were raising a bunch of professional victims! How many times has she gotten away with that crap?

Latest posts