Finally happening!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, thanks to mother nature for cooperating with me the past 4 days. Was over 65° and sunny everyday, so I was able to get the rest of the painting finished up. I am very happy with the color choice I made, and can't wait to get it out in the sunlight to see how it really looks. The garage is kind of shadowy, so hopefully I didn't miss any spots. Let me know what you guys think.

A light sanding with some 320 grit in between coats and a quick wipedown with some acetone then a tack rag really helped to smooth it out.

102_1310.jpg

102_1311.jpg

The end result!!

102_1313.jpg

102_1312.jpg

Absolute awesome job on the boat. I am getting redy to start a similar project myself. Your progress notes have been a great help because I just could not figure out how I was going to start the seat arrangement. I want a deck as well so I think I am going to swipe this great idea of yours. :lol: Keep up the great work and keep those pics coming.

I have the same boat, just curious haw hard did the paint come off? and was it yellow under the red?? Also could you please post what type of tools you used to strip it. wire brush and drill or what??

Thanks for the compliments guys. Have been taking a short break to get some fall fishing in, and have also been sick, so haven't really got anything else done on the boat. Planning on hitting it hard again next week.

Boater,
The paint was no easy task to get off. As stated in previous posts, I wanted to avoid the fumes from the chemical stripper, so I went with old fashioned elbow grease to get the paint off. Used a 2" wide, 4 sided paint scraper from sherman williams to get the majority of the paint off, the went around with a standard 1" scraper to hit the areas around rivets and seams. Took my buddy and I the majority of a saturday to get it all off. And yes, it was yellow underneath the red paint. The original yellow paint was stuck on pretty good and left alot of spots on the boat after scraping, so I went back over the entire boat with a small wire wheel in my power drill, which also served nicely to rough it up for the painting. Good luck with your project!

Very happy with the color choice. Looks awsome when its out in the sun! So much for getting on it this week. The crappie bite up here is ON!! :lol:

Well, finally drug myself away from the lake for a few hours yesterday and managed to get a little bit of work done. Started framing in the rear storage compartments and gas tank compartment. Didn't get alot done, but felt good to get back in the swing of it. Will be on it again tonight hopefully, so I'll try to get some pics up later.

Was at it a little more tonight. Got the rest of the rough framing done in the back. Just needs some support in a few places and it'll be done. There will be a large storage area on each side and a gas tank compartment in the middle that also flares out in the front to act as a small bench.

Few teaser pics...

100_0763.jpg

100_0764.jpg

I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST NOW FOUND THIS BUILD?!?!?! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I WISH I HAD THE TIME, SKILL AND PATIENCE TO DO THIS TO MINE.... WOW!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!

Thanks everybody! Has taken a while to get to where I am at, and I have a long ways to go, but it will all pay off this spring when I'm crankin' in those big slab crappie with the little woman.

Man that looks great! You guys and your v-bottoms are making me want to find one and fix it up. Most of the places around here are shallow and muddy so you dont see too many!

It looks like you are setting up that rear bench so that it will allow you to put a seat for sitting/tiller and then put then remove it or raise it and make it a casting platform? That's how I did mine, but then I wanted to be able to turn sideways and run the tiller without needing to put my leg up on the platform. Thus the cutout I put in mine.

Are you going with a pedestal system or mounting the seat directly to the platform or something else?

You ever look at your oar pin holder things and think "i should take those off?" I did for weeks.....until I drilled em off. I got tired of looking at them and I told my buddy "1. I don't have any oars, 2. I will never bring oars with since I have a collapsable paddle. 3. I will be running 1 gas and 2 electric motors, I have redundancy. 3. I would rather drift to shore and wait for help then row this big pig. :mrgreen: "

I suppose they would be nice to have if I ever plan to river drift fish, but I am planning a 12' jon boat with a 9.9/10 hp gas for that next year ;)

You are on the $$ dan. I plan on using the pin style seat mount directly into the bench. I like the idea of being able to remove the seat, and may buy a small extension for it as well. The front seat will be the pin style directly into the floor of the boat with an 11" extension. I actually just came up with the rear bench idea the other night when I was working on it. Wanted to make the gas tank compartment big enough for a 6 gal. tank and it would have stuck out a few inches past the storage cabinets, so to make it look decent I decided to put the bench in. I like the way its turning out so far.

As far as the oar locks go I'm gonna keep them. Got stuck on the lake once with a motor that wouldn't start back up and the oars saved my butt. I have a place planned out to store the oars where they will be out of the way, so I'll keep them in there "just in case" :wink: .