funny craigslist finds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, I was looking for a Gheenoe (special type skiff used in mostly coastal areas). I found that if I spelled Geeno Geenoe Geenow and any other variations.... I could come up with more listings. richg99

Stumpalump said:
ctboater said:
Yes, that definitely is Craigslist worthy haha.
I'm looking for a 19' square back Kanew. Maybe if I add that spelling to my search I'll find one.

Think I saw one on the Madison, WI, Craig's listing a few weeks ago. I recall a 19ft square stern...think the guy was proud of it, something like $1500. It looked clean.

Best wishes in your search.

EDIT: Went and looked. 19ft Grumman, 3.3 Evinrude, camo...here's the listing as of today:
https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/5400341495.html

Kind of a long trip. :)

There was an article awhile back where someone actually used different variations of misspelling items they were looking for to make some pretty good CL purchases because they were the only one that called about it.
Here's one out of a local classified a few years back: 220 bottle 70 super great for sale
A buddy of mine called, it was a Model 70 super grade pre 64 Winchester .220 swift in mint condition, he bought it!
The jet I just bought was listed under parts and accessories instead of boats. It was actually listed under the correct heading, but if it had been listed under boats I would almost guarantee it would have been sold. He said he had it listed earlier for 4K and didn't receive a call, then relisted it at $3,500 and I was the only caller. I think I made a decent buy on it, it's a 2013 F40JEHA that he purchased in 2014 and he said he paid $6,800 for it new and that I should change the oil in it because it was just at the 20-25hr recommended first oil change. I would think a dealer would have had it listed for around $4,500-$4,800. I actually got lucky, I usually didn't look under parts and accessories either!
I didn't steal it, but I think I made a good deal thanks to where/how he listed it.

Nothing like selling a used water pump for more than a new one.... I think that impeller (impella) may have a few turns left in it. Specifically, I mean three turns.

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/5676490157.html

Capture.PNG

kofkorn said:
Nothing like selling a used water pump for more than a new one.... I think that impeller (impella) may have a few turns left in it. Specifically, I mean three turns.

https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/5676490157.html

The effect that C's L and eBay have had on the value of things is pretty interesting. I know from selling on eBay that people will buy practically anything. It's C's L though that is really interesting. Because there is no fee to list, every piece of crap someone finds in the garage suddenly is valuable. I have seen things for sale that weren't worth the time to walk to the dumpster. I get that some people don't like to toss out useful things but there's a point where it's really the only answer. I often list in the free section and generally the stuff disappears. Share the wealth...

bobberboy said:
The effect that C's L and eBay have had on the value of things is pretty interesting. I know from selling on eBay that people will buy practically anything.

I've totally seen this. It's a "Must Win" effect. Regardless of the price. I've gotten to the point that when bidding on Ebay, I set a price in my mind at the beginning of the auction, and I don't bid until the last minute of the auction. If I win it, great. If not, then I haven't spent more than the product is worth, and I'm still happy.

I love Craigslist for all the deals you can find. I've literally purchased and sold over 20 outboards, never having spent more than $200 (for a running 88hp). But at the same time I wonder how some people ever sell things on there. Like ads where they are trying to sell a $17000 boat but don't want to bother removing the cover, or they take a picture from their bedroom looking out the window.

A little effort and an accurate description brings in significantly more money.

Early 1980's, I bought an older 27 ft. Catalina sailboat. It had an Atomic 4...gasoline engine. I had a survey done on the boat before I bought it. The regular surveyor said that "they didn't survey engines" but I could hire a sea-front engine shop to do that survey. I hired them. The engine shop said "all was well with the engine".

Ha! When I went to move the boat to my new rental slip, the engine clattered and made all sorts of unfriendly noises. Well, she was mine now, so I had to live with it.

The salesman, who just lowered his inventory of old boats by One....suggested I use some "Marvel Mystery Oil". Before I ran the engine on my maiden (and scary) journey, I went to an auto shop and bought some Marvel Mystery Oil. I am pleased to tell that the engine's clattering and noise mostly all disappeared in the 45 minute run to her new home.

All's well that ends well.

richg99

I've heard great things about that mystery oil. I have a small bottle of their air tool oil that works well, I guess...my tools still work lol.
I've always always been a Lucas additive lover. Their stuff is awesome!