Hookerz tackle hooks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand hook do you buy? (for Plastics)

• Owner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gamakatsu

• True Turn

• Mustad

• Eagle CLaw

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • HookerzTackle

• Other

• Whatever is on sale or the cheapest.

• Total voters
Jim,
I am planning a trip to Fla in Feb and All I do is flip the arrowheads for the big girls doing their thing that time of year. I also use the gambler rattling screw in weights .
So if you want to send a few my way I'll give them a good test and write a review ..
Wayne

I head down to sebring every winter for a long weekend. I fish 2 ABA events while there one on toho and the other on Istapoga
My father in law lives in sebring I have been snowed in twice over the years and had to stay an extra day

Wayne

I got my hooks today too. But I think there is a problem? I have 10 5/0 and 6 4/0 hooks. 16 hooks? Thanks Jim! 16 more hooks lol! Tell me if you want any back so I can send them to you.

SMDave said:
I got my hooks today too. But I think there is a problem? I have 10 5/0 and 6 4/0 hooks. 16 hooks? Thanks Jim! 16 more hooks lol! Tell me if you want any back so I can send them to you.

Is that where they all went? I thought I was counting wrong. :wink:

Jim said:
SMDave said:

Is that where they all went? I thought I was counting wrong. :wink:
Yipee! Thanks!

I noticed they seem very strong, and don't bend with force (which believe it or not, some worm hooks do). The points are actually very sharp and are pretty much on par with Gamakatsu's! Although some of the points are kind of dull (inconsistency). Some are extremely sharp however. I noticed the eyes of the hook are different than Gamakatsu's. I noticed Gammy's are closed (I think, just drawing this back from memory), while these are open, well not open, but just the shank of the hook looped into a circle. But the eyes seem strong too. Unless you are using .05 lb. test braid, you should be fine with the eyes (I think). Further information to come in 2008! It's SNOWING again!!!

Jim said:
What are your initial thoughts out of the package guys?

Initial thoughts

I took out some other hooks that I have to do a side by side comparison

Test subjects;

HookerZ 1/0
Gamakatsu EWG 1/0
Matzou America EWG Sickle 1/0

HookerZ 2/0
Mustad Ultra Lock 2/0
VMC David Fritts Fast Grip 2/0 (not in photo)

hooks1.jpg

The initial difference between the HookerZ and the other brands is that the shank length after the offset bend is much shorter.

The point on the HookerZ hooks is also longer before the barb then any of the other brands.

The wire diameter is less then the Mustad (as tested, Mustad's fine wire hook is thinner) greater then the Matzuo and the same as the VMC and Gama. hook.

HookerZ hook gap is the same as Gama. greater then the Matzuo and less then VMC

HookerZ point in relationship to the shaft of the hook sits slightly outside the shank. Gama. and VMC alighn to the shaft. Mustad and Matzuo align slighty inside teh shaft.

HookrZ barb is small as is Gama. Mustad and Matzou have slightly larger barbs and VMC uses a triple barb completely different then any other.

I will perform some tests to compare all the brands listed and post my results. I plan on doing a stress (breaking point) test, penetration test, corrosion test and ease of use test. Given the weather, field testing is not possible until spring

got my hooks to day, they are sharp, they seem to be made of a thicker metal, I kinda like that, slider has a hook that is thicker than their other hooks called pro, reminds me of that.