Hookerz tackle hooks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand hook do you buy? (for Plastics)

• Owner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gamakatsu

• True Turn

• Mustad

• Eagle CLaw

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • HookerzTackle

• Other

• Whatever is on sale or the cheapest.

• Total voters
just got my hooks today thanks alot jim for this Christmas present ill comment later with a review about the hooks thanks :D

thaks for the hooks jim i got em today. they look sweet those flippin hooks look unbreakable. those are sweet hopefully ill give em some action soon but i doubt it. it might have to wait till spring :cry:

I got my hooks today and they look sweet! Whoever said they look like a cross between Gammies and Owner is spot on. They have a nice thick, strong looking shank and a very sharp point. The finish is like black chrome, quite fetching that!

Now, if that water would just soften up so I could use them!

Little Anth, got a christmas tourney(wrestling)coming up? good luck to you and Mr. 13 :mrgreen:

those hookers, where the eye is, is shorter than the gammy, I think that falls right in my wheelhouse sometimes i like to run the head of a senko bout a half inch up the line so when you move it a little bit just the head moves.

We need a "standardized " format for this review - I will try top think up something so we can get something out of it

esquired said:
We need a "standardized " format for this review - I will try top think up something so we can get something out of it

GREAT idea! :D

PM me with what you got or start another topic in like the watering hole section.! Lets not make this thread the "we should". "we should not" for reviews.

esquired said:

Outstanding idea Esquired, I think all product reviews should be in a standard format which would give members a better idea how a product actually was rather than veag statements like "it had a nice fall rate" or "it had nice action". IMO SMDaves reviews are the most helpful, I like the 1 to 10 rateing and then his thoughts on that category

BassAddict said:
esquired said:

Outstanding idea Esquired, I think all product reviews should be in a standard format which would give members a better idea how a product actually was rather than veag statements like "it had a nice fall rate" or "it had nice action". IMO SMDaves reviews are the most helpful, I like the 1 to 10 rateing and then his thoughts on that category
I like my reviews too :D

My inital thoughts were that I was unimpressed, they seamed to be ununiform, they were on the dull side, the barb was too small and part of the black nickle finish was missing from 1/2 of one of the hooks. Ill rate Gamakatsu a 10/10 as the gold standard, compared to that on looks and first impressions alone id give them a 4/10, this batch of hooks left me wondering if they were quality control rejects that were sold at cut rate prices.

normal_Hookers.JPG

*Edit* if you look close at the 3/0 you can see the missing finish

Well, I finally got my hooks yesterday...I was getting a little worried since a lot of other guys already got theirs. Anyway, the sizes I asked for are 1, 1/0, 2/0, and 5/0 (thanks for the extra 5/0s Jim!). I took them out and compared them to one another, not to any other hooks. My observations:

Color: Black nickel was uniform
Weight: They seem to be slightly thinner than a comparable size Gammy/Owner/Eagleclaw. They look to be about the same gauge as a Slider style hook. I like the thin wire for the smaller hooks. However, for the larger sizes, a heavier gauge would be more appropriate. Generally, for the type of fishing I usually do, I don't require a heavy gauge hook.
Gap/bend: The gaps are PRETTY uniform throughout the batch. However, the offset bend near the eyes are all over the place. This doesn't bother me a whole lot, but it says something about Hookers QA/QC process. I like that the distance between the eye and the offset kink is relatively short. This would work well when using a screw in type weight.
Point: I wasn't that impressed. Sharp, but not dangerously sharp. Looks like a conical point, similar to Gammies, unlike the Owner knife style point. I have some Gammy circle hooks that I am afraid to tie up in the dark because they are so sharp. Certain hooks may require a quick file to polish the point a little before you.

I don't do that much T-rigging, but with these hooks I will make more attempts for the field test. I plan on using the size 1s for wacky/drop shotting, the 1/0s and 2/0s for T-rigging and C-rigging, and the 5/0s for T-rigging larger baits and rugging floating worms/frogs over pads and grass.

I will try to compare the hookerz with some other hooks I have. Overall first impression: While somewhat inconsistent in their construction, I would probably purchase these hooks for certain applications, depending on the price.

I hadn't gotten a chance to really check these hooks out in the field until the other day. I tied on a 2/0 to fish a small stickbait Texas Rigged. I set the hook once and had a fish on for a few seconds. I reeled in and the hook hadn't penetrated the worm. I figured that was a user error. I used a 4/0 hook on a Texas Rigged Hardnose lizard. I set the hook once with a 1 second fight. I reel in the bait and look at the hook. The tip was bent and that cost me a fish. I put a new hook on and caught a bass shortly thereafter. I looked through my batch and one more hook had a bent tip. Also, a few hooks had spots that looked tarnished and slightly discolored, but I kept them hoping that they were still fine

FishinsMyLife317 said:
I hadn't gotten a chance to really check these hooks out in the field until the other day. I tied on a 2/0 to fish a small stickbait Texas Rigged. I set the hook once and had a fish on for a few seconds. I reeled in and the hook hadn't penetrated the worm. I figured that was a user error. I used a 4/0 hook on a Texas Rigged Hardnose lizard. I set the hook once with a 1 second fight. I reel in the bait and look at the hook. The tip was bent and that cost me a fish. I put a new hook on and caught a bass shortly thereafter. I looked through my batch and one more hook had a bent tip. Also, a few hooks had spots that looked tarnished and slightly discolored, but I kept them hoping that they were still fine

Thanks for the update...Very interesting.

Latest posts