I need your guys help quitting smoking, finally...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JamesM56alum said:
... hell i bone my wife i wanna light up I HATE THIS FEELING!!!!!!!!!!

remind me what's so bad about smoking ?!

Haha, got a chuckle out of this.

Dude, you can do this, dont be like me, I didnt smoke or drink till I was 21 actually I started both habits over seas. I was a partying fool!!!! When I was 34 I had a heart attack, spent 13 days flat on my back in ICU, results= couple arteries 90 something blocked, lower 1/3 of my heart is dead and I'm on a crap load of pills. The night I had my heart attack, I dropped to my knee and promised the Lord if he let me see my children grow up I'd stop partying, I kept my promise and apparently he kept his, I saw my children grow up, I have a beatuiful Grandson and I'm still here. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

I have never smoked, drank or done any kind of drugs...but my brother has and I can promise you he would tell you he doesn't regret quitting for a second. He is so much more healthy and fit now.

Those of us who quit KNOW what you are going through,
and it's hard...REAL hard...But...HANG IN THERE..

One minute, one hour, one day at a time......

YOU CAN Do It !!

I went to buy a pack one day and it was a little over $3 I quit, said to hell with this crap, had smoked for 4 years.

My Dad smoked 30 years, and one day he got tired of burning holes in his suits and threw the pack in the golve box of his police cruiser and said the same thing I did, to hell with this.

Its a matter of will power and how you want to see yourself, I wish everyone the best of luck for quiting ANY BAD HABIT they have, that they are willingly and trying to ditch

My experience with quitting, like everyone else's, is one of quitting several times over about a 10 year period, certain each time that this time was going to be THE time. One morning, like so many others, waking up coughing for 5 minutes, hacking up a bunch of crap from my throat and lungs, grabbing my coffee and lighting up, I asked myself what the hell I was doing and if I really wanted to feel this way and eventually a lot worse, every morning for the rest of my life.

Then I got up, put out the smoke, dumped the ashtray and the rest of the pack into the toilet and flushed them. I then proceeded to clean my house, dumping all astrays in the toilet so I coun't scrounge for butts later and then doing a thorough cleaning of the entire place, starting with the TV & Computer screens and the windows. Seeing those cleaning rags get covered wit tar and other smoke residue just reinforced my will to quit. That day was 15 years ago and I haven't had a tobacco product of any kind since.

Make up your mind that you don't want to smoke any longer rather than that you want to quit. That way, you're doing something you want to do rather than giving up something. Then don't think or talk about smoking, other than concentrating to overcome urges to smoke, unless someone notices and remarks that you aren't smoking. I had stopped for a week before my wife noticed and asked me if I was still smoking. And she had been on my *** for 15 years to stop. Mind over matter... If you don't mind, it don't matter. :wink:

Good luck, whatever way you get off the coffin nails just do it for yourself. If money is your motivator, use that. Whatever works.

You'll be glad you did.

$$$$$$$$, HEALTH- IT'S A HABIT!!!
lots of people quit, QUITTING WONT KILL YOU!!
NO! NO! NO! the craving will get less and less [-X

Well here's my story. I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day for over 30 years. Paused (quit) several times, once for 9 months. Just never could get rid of the craving.

Finally I decided that I wanted to see my grandkids up. I set down and came up with a game plan. I decided the best time for me to quit was when I would be away from work. I had a week of vacation coming up and I knew I wouldn't be around the GANG so that would help. I got off work on a Friday morning and had 1 cig left. I lite it walking across the parking lot and climbed in the truck. At the end of it as I dropped it in the ashtray and asked God to take this addiction away.

The following week, I had so much energy I couldn't stand myself. I kept myself busy doing anything. It helped me keep my mind off the cigs and I also believe it helped with the flushing of nicotine from my body thru sweat and the increased intake of water.

Come April 9th it will be 3 years since I quit this time and Lord willing the last time. Still get the craving every once and a while, but now I just take a few seconds and laugh about it.

Thanks alot guys for the support, the cravings arent as strong but they'er still there.

i will say it takes ALOT less to piss me off now, its almost stupid how easily i snap now an i dont like that, it's the simplist things that piss me off like earlier my wifes dog peed on the patio concret which before didnt really bother me i'd just take the hose an wash it off this time i freaked out on the little guy an he ran under the chair an didnt come back out for like 2 hours, i swear if i had got my hands on em i might have killed em.

But i just keep biting my tongue " Litterally " to take my mind off of the craving an hopfully that'll help me through it!

Try Chewing Gum.....

worked for me for over 20 years , and still does! ANYTHING to help you get over the addiction ...
YOU CAN DO IT !!

JamesM56alum said:
Yep, just another day im still craving as usual. At this point i dont even wanna go outside or drive my truck cause i cant light up it's kinda crazy i feel like i lost a old friend or something! :evil:

Like I tell my daughters....."You have a choice when picking your friends....choose wisely."

Tommorrow is seven weeks for me and the wife. I did cold turkey and she is doing the patch. I still think about a smoke now and then, but I just keep going. The wife told me she's tired of me biting her head off. I did'nt think I was.

Keep fighting the urge. You know you can do it.
Good Luck

My biggest problem was it was routine. It was my routine to get to work and have a smoke... work 2 hours, have a smoke... eat lunch, have a smoke... 2 hours later, smoke... and one last one before I left for the day. Every day, that was my routine....

I considered the e-cig, I tried the gum in the past... But I wanted to do it cold turkey, which is the way to do it. The sooner you can get the nicotine and the drugs out of your body, the better--and the sooner the cravings will subside.

For me, it was all about will power and breaking that routine. It's amazing what you can do just by setting your mind to it--I mean really setting your mind to it. You'll get cravings, and it will be tough--darn tough at times... For me, the toughest times where was I get stressed out. When I got stressed at work, a cig was my solution. What I started doing was when I got stressed was, I just stepped away. Getting away from the stress for 5-10 minutes--but I never went out to where I smoked--always a different location. Sometimes it was my car, sometimes it was just going for a walk, sometimes I just went into the bathroom--anything to distract me from the stressor and smoking a cig.

When you think about smoking, think about your health; your family; your friends; the money your saving instead. Get a punching bad and punch it for a couple minutes... it helps.

Ultimately, you will have to be the deciding factor in whether you quit or not. No one can quit for you. If your set on quitting, you will. YOU CAN DO IT!! =D> =D> =D>

K so i put around 15 bucks in the jar today an i figured that's about what i would have spent since i quit 4 days ago. Thats about the onlything that's keeping me going i personally dont think smoking is truely bad for your health " yes i know im going to get yelled at for that " i never really lost any taste in foods or drinks i still just have as much energy as i did when i was younger, But the smell in the clothing and the cost of the cig's every week is whats really driving me to quit, every time iv saved is going towards our move back to fla!

i personally dont think smoking is truely bad for your health

yeah....you're right. Nothing bad for your health. I don't see any difference in the lungs pictured below. [-X

BTW...that's a non smoker's lungs VS a smoker's lungs.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 292
I saw that stuff in highschool man, sheeps lungs an stuff like that but i can promise you by the time that cought up to me i would have died of something else, i dont have any expectation of living past 80 i work around way too many chemicals an now adays we push our bodys way further than we should, IE not eating correctly or doing things to harm your health " Smoking being one "

I quit a long, long time ago.
Cold turkey!

Drink water!

Dont laugh, there are a ton of reasons it makes sense.
Your still moving your hand to your mouth.
Water will flush your body of nicotine faster than anything else.
You wont be stuffing your face with food.
You wont get dehydrated and crave something.

The downside. I never got so tired of ice water in my life. However to this day I never use ice. Been over 25 years now. Still not smoking and still no ice in my beverages.