JD Baits catches the big one

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Wanted to try a different type of fishing tonight, and I had to initiate a new rod into the fold. Took my gear and the rod to my local fishing hole to toss some in from the bank. Tried a few things, but kept catching weeds. Who knew that weeds could grow in an old rock quarry?!?

Anyway, I tied on a swimsenko - since I've not caught anything on it before. Why do I do go past everything else in the box, just to try something that has never worked in the past? Who knows? Maybe I have a sickness. Anyway, I caught a 10-11 inch bass on it pretty quick. Had a couple of short bites, to the point of destroying it, so I put on a normal senko Texas rigged. Had more short bites, but no hookups. Then I pulled out the big guns!

Before tying on, a father/son came up and started messing in the water (kid swimming) - about 10 feet from me. I was frustrated, but I was fishing near the only access they had to swim in the lake, besides the beach which was closed - so I bit my tongue. The swimming kid stayed away from me, and I was still getting some bites, so I smiled and let it go.

I tied on a JD Baits small light-green stick bait - my go to lure here. First cast I missed the hook set. Second cast I hooked into a nice fish. His headshakes told me he was a decent bass, but he never jumped, and never took me into the weeds. The dad was surprised I hooked up with his kid swimming there, then when the fish was coming in said it was a small one, then as if flashed in the water, he said it looked "ok", but small. Then I pulled him up out of the water and the dad almost fell off his seat - said how big the fish was - and how it was a REALLY nice SMALLMOUTH- UMmmm - it was a largemouth but I wasn't going to say anything in front of his kid. It was a decent largemouth, no state record or anything, but a 2.5 to 3lber in a place that is known for 10 inchers.

Then some dog people came with their Doberman and Pit-bull - yeah, what a combo. I was by the tacklebox, so I grabbed my hunting knife and stuck it in the back pocket - better to have something than nothing at all. Without saying so much as saying "hi", the guy threw a ball in the lake - right past the kid. The kid had to get out of the way of the swimming Doberman -yep that's right. The Doberman was fetching the ball in the water - crazy. Anyway, I just continued to fish and had another nice hit - and managed to snap 12lb line on the hook set and missed the fish :( So kid swimming and dog swimming 15-30 feet away had no affect on the tastiness of JDBaits soft plastics. The fish still wanted them!

Anyway, long report for a few fish!

Will

those people must never fish!!!

thats crazy you were still gettin bites that close to people swimming and dogs fetchin balls in the water.