Launch etiquette...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never unhook my bow strap until I'm in the water I have seen 2 many boats slide off the trailer.
but other than that you should have everything else ready to go. it never fails that someone will show up with the boat nothing in it so they take up 2 lanes cause they cant back down straight, load everything up dump the boat in and try to start it up. of course the thought of hooking it up to ear muffs and making sure it runs. it isn't that people are impatient, they are just a little more prepared.
I am the first one in the water at most of my tournaments and after a long hot day on the water you get back and see some goofball blocking the ramp gets frustrating.
I always suggest that a new boat owner go to the ramp a few times during the week to get the hang of loading and unloading

Before I leave for the ramp, the boat is ready to go. Batteries in, plug in, ropes ready, etc. I usually use the courtesy area to unstrap, but I have unstrapped on the ramp before if it was empty. Last year I used the courtesy area to unstrap while the ramp was empty. A guy passed me in line and kept the launch busy for 10 minutes unloading right in front of us. :evil:
It takes me just a minute to:
  • get out
  • unhook the boat from the front tie - it doesn't EVER roll off :cry:
  • hook up my UNTANGLED rope and tie it off to my rooftop rack on the car
  • unstrap both back tie downs and double check plug
  • get in car and launch

Then I move the boat out of the way and park the car. Before I leave I get a good look at everyone fishing there and their equipment, so I can see if they have any of mine when I return :D

Quackrstackr said:
russ010 said:
haste gets you no where... patience is a virtue everyone should learn :wink:

Tell that to the 30+ other vehicles with their boats ready to drop in the water while they wait for the guy on the ramp to secure everything.

Many of the ramps and ramp parking lots on KY Lake turn into complete gridlock at certain times of the day because of the ramps being blocked.

I leave my bow strap attached until the boat is floating. I can unhook that as I climb in the boat to pull it over to the courtesy dock.

I think most people are talking about stopping on the ramp to remove transom or gunwale straps and loading all of your gear into or out of the boat while sitting in the middle of the ramp. That may not be a problem on low traffic ramps but it really is in other places. With the crappie run in full swing here, you can't even see the ramp from where you have to park your truck and trailer because of the volume of traffic on many days.

Bingo..exactly what i'm talking about.
Russ,
I'm not coming down on people trying to be safe, and never will. I said i leave the bow strap attached with a few feet of slack for the boat to float. AND, i leave my truck on the ramp till my boat is tied off. BUT, i'm not sitting at the ramp checking my fishing rigs, filling coolers, packing my lunch and what ever else they do.

I hear ya and don't take anything I say personally - it's not directed at anybody on here.. I said "IF" someone starts getting pissy with me that's what I do.

RW,

I'm guessing you're talking about Black Shoals, and I have a few issues with that place.

1. There is no ramp on the planet with such a flat ramp. That's the only ramp I've ever been to that EVERYONE has to submerge their vehicle to launch.

2. That place is notorious for theft while making the 100 yard walk from your parked vehicle (with no ramp visibility for the majority of the 100yards) back to your boat, and no one fishing on the NO FISHING dock seems to know how anything could have vanished on the boat, so I wouldn't leave anything valuable in the boat unsecured. Personally, I'd carry my rods and tacklebag from the parking lot before I left them tied to that dock.

If you haven't been, I'd give Tribble Mill a shot the next time you're alone. Easy place to launch yourself and typically, there won't be any ramp traffic or people fishing around the ramp.

Hey Mr. Brine! Why yes, I would be talking about Black Shoals. My wife and I started going there shortly after she and I moved here because of a few points. It is close to where we live, on the Veterans park side, we can get in free, and no launch fees for Military Veterans “Until this year I found out.” it will now be 25.00 for the year for everyone.
It’s a nice little lake and the only other lake I have been too besides this one was Varner. I don’t really know my way around to too many other places where you can drop an electric boat and not have to worry about getting ran over by the big bass boats. {Not sure if that is true, but heard that it was an issue at Oconee and Lanier}
This is why I would like to get to know a few more of the Georgia folks on here and see where you all go fishing, and who knows, maybe be able to pick up some pointers on what I may be doing wrong not to mention just getting to know some good people around me.
You are right, you almost have to launch your truck to launch the boat at BS. But you know, most of the time, it is my wife and I and one of us stay with the boat while the other parks the truck so theft has not been an issue until you told me of your luck. Thanks for the heads up and from now on, I will keep this in the back of my mind when I go there by my self.

EVERYTHING shoud be done in the rigging area. Transom straps, plugs, fishing gear, coolers, etc. The ONLY thing that you should have to do at the ramp is back in until your at the waters edge and disconnect the bow strap. If I am with my father we can launch the boat in 60 seconds. one of us will back the boat and trailer in and the other one is in the boat, and they disconnect the bow strap then step back to the console or motor and start it. The person in the truck backs up a bit more and hits the brakes and the boat floats off the trailer and then pulls out and parks.

If you are by your self I get everything ready and attach a rope to the bow eye. I back in until the boat is part way in the water but not floating. I then disconnect the bow strap, and back in until it floats and hit the brakes. The momentum will usually keep the boat moving backwards. I put the truck in gear (standard)and turn it off and set the parking brake. I get out and manuver the boat AWAY from the dock (unless I am the only one there and then I will take it to the dock)
I tie itoff or drop the anchor and go park the truck.

There is nothing more frustrating then having your gear ready and all you need to do is back in, and having someone at the ramp partly backed in trying to put the plug in and load their coolers and all the crap they should have done before.

I didn't realize most people left their bow strap attached on final approach... LOL Considering my luck with swimming for the boat, forgetting the plug , keys , fish finder etc, maybe i should start leaving it attached till its in the water.

I just went out and looked at the boat trailer. You would have to be on a crazy incline for mine to slide off. Not to tempt fate or anything but i'll leave everything disconnected unless the landing is bad steep.

Suit yourself. :lol:

Hope that you never have to slam on the brakes while backing down the ramp and that you don't launch when your bunks could potentially be iced up.

Fishincop is really going to have to watch his now after he installs his cutting boards.

Quackrstackr said:

Hope that you never have to slam on the brakes while backing down the ramp and that you don't launch when your bunks could potentially be iced up.

Fishincop is really going to have to watch his now after he installs his cutting boards.

Ha, Ha. I hope you're right - with respect easy launching/loading??

We too also prepare everything before we back down, and always pull up and away when loading before we strap down and unload, etc. Always get out of the way as fast as we can. Hopefully, the cutting-board bunk covers will help get us on and centered when loading - instead of having to back off if not straight????

From the videos that I have seen of trailers with those bunk glides, you can darn near push the boat off of the trailer with one hand when on an incline whether it is sitting in the water or not. :shock:

Quackrstackr said:

That's how I launch mine unhook every thing slam on the breaks when I get close to the water works great every time :lol:

Latest posts