Looking out the front door this morning...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After today's dump and blizzard conditions, I'll be redoing all of it tomorrow. The drifts with this one are the worst we've had in the 9 1/2 years we've lived here.

Tomorrow I'll be pushing snow in -40F wind chills.

The part I dislike most is digging out the mailbox. It gets covered by drifts and then the DOT plows. Had to clear it on Wednesday morning. It looked like this:

Mail box digout.jpg

All of that digging/blowing was undone overnight last night. In fact, the mailbox is totally buried right now. I know where it is because of that marker ball on the rod sticking above the mailbox.

After today's dump and blizzard conditions, I'll be redoing all of it tomorrow. The drifts with this one are the worst we've had in the 9 1/2 years we've lived here.

Tomorrow I'll be pushing snow in -40F wind chills.

The part I dislike most is digging out the mailbox. It gets covered by drifts and then the DOT plows. Had to clear it on Wednesday morning. It looked like this:

View attachment 118623

All of that digging/blowing was undone overnight last night. In fact, the mailbox is totally buried right now. I know where it is because of that marker ball on the rod sticking above the mailbox.
Good lord you need a tracked skidloader with a blower. Gives me flashbacks of being stationed at fort drum.

Good lord you need a tracked skidloader with a blower. Gives me flashbacks of being stationed at fort drum.
Well, in reality it's nothing like Upstate NY, but given that the hillside was bare until the 5" snow that created the picture, at times it is a royal pain.

Yes, 5" of snow goes a long way with that mailbox. Has to do with north winds drifting on that steep slope. The pole in the picture is about 10' tall.

-13F now and -40 wind chill.

As mentioned, last night's snow buried the mailbox again. Here's a pic. You can see the orange ball at the top of the marker in the upper center portion of the picture; the top of the mail box is about 6 feet under that.

Buried mailbox.jpg

While I was down there, I saw that somebody tried making their way down the highway, even though it was closed because of the snow. Nobody came up to our house asking for help, so I don't know when it happened.

Stuck Truck.jpg

I went and checked to make sure nobody was in that truck or around it. It's sitting in the middle of the highway drive lanes. So it has to be cleared or somebody will get a nasty surprise as they pop over the hill only to find this abandoned vehicle. DOT worked the snow blockage in front of our house for several hours; that guy had to work around that stuck truck. I really do hope that they tow this vehicle off before they allow unimpeded travel on the highway again.

That brings back some memories. We haven't had a big snow in central NJ for a few years, but here's one from back in the day. We didn't have a snowblower so it was all (28-30" plus drifting) shoveled by hand. Now I have a snowblower and that helps to keep the snow away! :)

Snow1.jpg