Looking out the front door this morning...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about installing a starter on mine. That way if I`m having a Senior back day I can hit the button.

Getting some light snow today. A few inches on the ground. Light and fluffy. No wind. All the schools shutdown because of the "winter advisory". :rolleyes:
We got 3" maybe 4 and they closed here. Think they were scared after a bunch of busses got stuck last week when they tried to keep em open.

We got 3" maybe 4 and they closed here. Think they were scared after a bunch of busses got stuck last week when they tried to keep em open.
Not really hard to guess why the schools all close at the hint of a couple inches of snow, even here in Iowa.

All it takes is one driver going too fast and hit one of those school buses and the personal injury lawyers will be booking clients for lawsuits against the school district.

No water since 3pm CST. Our water system/company is terrible. Our water goes out every time we have a hard freeze more than 1 day. Been going on for years. We stocked up on water Sunday, did all laundry Monday, got fuel for generator just incase it gets crazy. I just keep a 5 gal bucket of pool water next to the toilet in the bathrooms. Using paper plates etc. All good.

That brings back some memories. We haven't had a big snow in central NJ for a few years, but here's one from back in the day. We didn't have a snowblower so it was all (28-30" plus drifting) shoveled by hand. Now I have a snowblower and that helps to keep the snow away! :)

View attachment 118645

Snow1.jpg

I just remembered something from this storm from the past. The snow had drifted off the roof of the house and was connected to the snow on the roof of the 4Runner. It was drifted above the fenders and when I went out to start clearing snow, I realized I never locked the front hubs for the 4 wheel drive! I cleared out around the front wheels and locked the hubs and the truck backed right down the driveway through all the snow and the plow pile like it was nothing. That truck was a nice little tank.

I was stationed near San Antonio TX back in 2005/6 and we had a incredibly rare 1" of snow and some ice hit the are overnight. That morning was chaos God Bless Texans but those boys had no clue how to handle it and traffic accidents shut down both beltways and just about every rd you could think of. This just reminded me I saw a light dusting of snow once while deployed in Iraq near Kirkuk too in 2008. Maybe it's me lol maybe I'm cursed 😆
I was in Fort Bliss in Dec, 68. They had 1 inch of snow Sat morning. A bunch of us northerners went into El Paso to see the sights and was a sight it was! Cops cruising the streets warning everyone on loudspeakers to stay inside! Wrecks everywhere. It was hilarious!

View attachment 118697

I just remembered something from this storm from the past. The snow had drifted off the roof of the house and was connected to the snow on the roof of the 4Runner. It was drifted above the fenders and when I went out to start clearing snow, I realized I never locked the front hubs for the 4 wheel drive! I cleared out around the front wheels and locked the hubs and the truck backed right down the driveway through all the snow and the plow pile like it was nothing. That truck was a nice little tank.
That’s a **** site better than a Tacoma I had. That Toyota would get stuck on any slight grade if there was more than 3 inches of snow. That’s with 4WD. Ive owned dozens of vehicles and that Toyota was the only one I can say I hated.

Getting some light snow today. A few inches on the ground. Light and fluffy. No wind. All the schools shutdown because of the "winter advisory". :rolleyes:
When I was a young lad, we had to walk 5 miles to school thru three feet of snow, up hill both ways.............these young kids today are softies !!

That’s a **** site better than a Tacoma I had. That Toyota would get stuck on any slight grade if there was more than 3 inches of snow. That’s with 4WD. Ive owned dozens of vehicles and that Toyota was the only one I can say I hated.
In Alaska, those are the 4wd of choice, supposedly they are the only ones that hold up in the roughest terrain...same out west in the mountains.

In Alaska, those are the 4wd of choice, supposedly they are the only ones that hold up in the roughest terrain...same out west in the mountains.
Maybe so, not sure why. I’d never own another one. Truck was cramped, bed was tiny, motor was weak, clutch was weak, and the 6 speed manual trans is probably the worst on the planet. Not to mention how badly the frame rusted in almost no time. Huge flakes of rust dropped off that thing like crazy. Worst truck I ever owned. YMMV

Wow, that's surprising. I know most of them did not have a rear locker or posi rear so the 4wd isn't the best. I had a 2013 with 3" lift and 33" AT tires and that would go through the plow piles in 2wd, it was just as good as the 4Runner. But yeah, those 4 cyl engines were way underpowered which is why I got rid of it.

Tacoma_ray113.jpg

View attachment 118697

Here in central Alberta, I drive a big Ford F-150 with 4x4 automatic and it has positrac with a flip of a dial. I wouldn't live here without one. In the old days we drove one wheel drive so to speak. That is, rear wheel drive whereas if you got stuck only one wheel would turn. Almost everyone drives an all wheel drive or a 4x4 these days.

I had a Toyota a long time ago. It wasn't big or strong, but it sure was durable. Don't remember it having rust issues, but I don't remember looking under it either. I bought it used, and sold it to someone else, and they drove it around for a long time, too.

It did okay in the snow, for what it's worth. I wonder if your 4WD had issues. Could have also been the tires. Some tires are absolutely terrible in the snow.

After that one, I moved up to a F150 and have never looked back. My current truck is awesome in the snow. Flip the knob and push the snow/ice traction control button and GO.

I had that exact Tacoma 98 reg cab 4x4 5 spd 4 cyl. It was awesome. I don't remember a 6 spd ever being available. That truck was a mountain goat. I put 33's on it and did some serious wheeling in it. I put 270k miles on it and just did oil/filters/tires/brakes. Literally zero broken stuff. One of the best vehicles ever made. Now it was light, I imagine that is why is wouldn't do well on icy roads. Most people would throw some weight in the bed like a sack of quickrete or sand bags. I've now owned that Tacoma, a 4runner, 1st and 2nd Gen Tundras. All the best vehicles I've ever owned. Literally went 25 yrs straight owning Toyotas. When I turned 50 I sold my Tundra and bought an older 2006 Corvette and an 03 Ford Excursion. Both were dream cars for me. I've been working on em' and restoring them. The engineering on both is less than desirable and silly stuf they did really takes the fun out of owing them. Safe to say my next vehicle will be a Toyota, probably my last dream car, an older Land Cruiser.

The wife has a jeep cherokee with lockers it does really well in snow better than my ram 2500. My ram does great too if you put weight in the bed. Without its just too much torque at low rpm to gain much traction. The jeep was designed for off road use the ram was designed to tow heavy things on pavement.