Need help identifying something!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jim check out this site it takes too long to load with my dial-up iam sure they would have what your looking for[urhttps://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products/torsional-couplings.aspxl][/url]

Codeman said:
Well it sounds like to me he is just trying to lock the 2 rods end to end. A coupling nut and jam nuts would do this but it sounds like to me he wants them serrated to ensure they don't come uncoupled as they rotate in something. Am I in the ball park Jim? :?: :?:

Yes all except the rotate into something part. I just need to conenct two rods together and ensure that they do not come apart unless I physically unscrew them.

malemale.gif
That and jam nuts and it won't come apart.

Or
3084kp1s.gif

Lay the idea on me I love this kind of stuff.

:idea: : get a pice of pipe that just fits over the shafts slide the shafts into the pipe drill a hole into the pipe and throug the shafts and then drive a drift pin in the hole to remove drive the drift pin out :D :LOL2: ive been up for 30 hrs got to get some sleep now i cant sleep wondering what your doing i cant wait to see what it is your looking for :LOL2:

Brine said:
Are the rods you're joining solid or hollow?

Solid! :LOL2:

Honestly this is not a game. My cousin is a machinist but before I present him with my idea I need my angles covered. Once I show him this thread he is going to kick me out of his shop. :LOL2:

so are you going to have the hardware welded on?

The pieces you showed at the beginning once tightened down would not allow itself to unlock. I've used things like, but you didn't rotate (turn) them into postition. The were used in conjuction with another fastening (turning) piece of hardware. The transducer bracket is a good example. Simply allowing a part to swivel and then the teeth lock it into position.

What are these rods for? Steel or aluminum? I know exactly how I would do it in my backwards redneck way. LOL Do they need to be smooth all the way down?

Codeman said:
What are these rods for? Steel or aluminum? I know exactly how I would do it in my backwards redneck way. LOL Do they need to be smooth all the way down?

No not really, but they do have to come apart with a simple twist, no extra pieces(to lose). :D

Ok Here is what I would do if you are using steel. Weld a bolt to the end of one rod then grind the head off and make it smooth, Weld a Coupling nut to the other rod, then I'd take a wing nut thread it one the bolt end for a jam nut, twist them together and jam it with the wing nut. Or instead of the bolt just thread the rod itself. It kind of depends on the size of the rod.