Need help identifying something!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,I have it. (Sec 3)Start with a 1'' rod with a T-handle at one end and the other end drilled and tapped for 3/4''. (Sec 2)Now take a 3/4'' rod and thread one end,then drill and tap the other end for 1/2".Make a T-handle out of a 3/4'' nut and 1/2'' rod welded together to screw on the threaded end. (Sec 1) Take a 1/2'' rod and thread one end and grind a point on the other end.

I started this thinking backwards,but when I thought about the end in the lake bed it wouldn't work that way so I reversed the sections. Do you follow me.

Use 2 Vise-grips to assemble and disassemble.

Jim, do you realize how heavy 3/4" or 1" bar/round stock is?
Your better off using tubing, preferrable of a man-made material.

Hanr3 said:
Jim, do you realize how heavy 3/4" or 1" bar/round stock is?
Your better off using tubing, preferrable of a man-made material.

no, but when i go ask my machinist cousin, Im sure he will dope slap me in the right direction. :lol:

2878.jpg
Something like this but with only two pieces?

https://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2157682803P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

That type has the turn to lock instead of the button I was talking about. Just search aluminum paint pole, there are many to choose from.

So, you're talking about using the pole to hold your boat in place outside a cove or off structure without an anchor or using the TM to hold the boat in position, right ??? #-o

If you are not going to be using it to push the boat around, like you would pole a boat over the flats, then there shouldn't be any problems with the rods working themselves apart as long as the threads screw in far enough.

Jim said:
My plan is to use this pole to hold the boat in place in a shallow cove, instead of having to throw over an anchor in 8 feet or less of water.

Bring a very tall and strong fishing partner and a gun and.........

Well, never mind, that probably isn't going to work well in the end. :LOL2:

What kind of lake bottom?
Rock, Sand, muck?
How thick is that bottom, more importantly how deep in the bottom will you have to go for the pole to hold position?

If your in 8' of water, 4' of muck, add the transom height plus some wiggle room for waves, gives you a 16' pole.
How many pole sections do you want to deal with?
What is your max length per pole?
How much wind you planning on using this in?
How much does your boat weigh?
How susceptable is your boat to wave, wind movement?
How long are you realistically planning to spend on that spot?
Do you do realize how much force your applying to the bottom end of the pole?
At what wind,wave action does your boat move with a single anchor? In other words how much wind/wave action before your boat drags anchor?

The Pro-Bass anglers have two poles to not only distribute the weight, but to counter-act the effects of wind and waves.

Your single pole will act like a single anchor, just on a tighter diameter, until the point your boat drags it across the bottom, or snaps the weakest link. If you use a metal pole, how will you deal with bend poles? WIll the pole bend, or will the bracket break first?Ever try to adjust the height on a bent trolling motor shaft?

I'm thinking you might want to re-evaluate your idea for practicality?

There's nothing new under the sun (so the Bible says)

https://www.stickitanchorpins.com/PhotoGallery.html

wasilvers said:

4 pages of ideas and discussion and now THIS? Where were you 4 pages ago?

I'm laughing :roflmao:

fender66 said:
wasilvers said:

4 pages of ideas and discussion and now THIS? Where were you 4 pages ago?

I'm laughing :roflmao:

I thought Jim was playing a joke on everyone. I'm pretty sure I found the link to that from Tinboats about 2-3 months ago - I thought it came from him... :?:
I got as far as the order page back then and figured it is priced right, but not for right now.

Latest posts