Ordered a Honda 20HP - (Need a new motor. 15-20 HP)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking forward to a quiet motor for sure. Have been second guessing my decision to go with a short shaft since most things now require long shaft. I figure the majority of the time I will run this on my alumacraft so it will be fine for now. Otherwise (if I would have ordered a longshaft) I would have had to build a transom extension or get a jackplate. I am thinking that sometime in the near future (next couple of years) I will pick up a 1648 jon boat, but they still make those in a 15" transom so this motor could work for that too. I am hoping that once I get this thing I will like it so much I forget about all these "should have, could have" things.

I called the marina since I hadn't heard from them for two weeks and the motor was supposed to be in within 10 days...

Long story short, they called the distributor (only after I called them to find out what was going on) and found out that the motors are backordered and they have no idea how long it will take to get one. They said they had an order a week or two (he wasn't certain really) before mine and that guy was still waiting also. I canceled my order and went down and picked up a Yamaha from Cabela's. For about $200 more (than the Honda with pull start) I got a 20HP short shaft with electric start. Cablea's has a full service shop also, and it is much closer than the marina I was dealing with. I was willing to pay the extra for the Honda but just wasn't impressed with a shop that tells me 10 days or less then doesn't even call to let me know it is going to take longer than that. Maybe that is the norm these days, I don't know. I just expect if someone gives me an estimate that they would update me if they can't hit that estimate. Maybe I expect too much. Cabela's has always had excellent customer service and I have heard Yamaha does as well.

I had to drive about 40 minutes to get a 3 gallon gas tank for it, the new EPA regulations require new fittings and tanks. Cabelas only had 6 gallon tanks in stock. I am hoping to get out sometime this week after work to start the 10 hour break-in cycle on this. Looking forward to hitting some of the bigger lakes around here now that I will be able to get off the water quickly if things turn bad!

Sorry that happened to you.. I know it must have been tough after waiting all those days to find out it never shipped! The extra $200 is worth it for an estart. My 08' 20 estart is going strong.

I have a 15 Yamaha 2000 and it runs like a champ. Planes my 16 semi v 72" beam width boat. You will love them once you get them!

sixgun and MDFisherman, do you guys run 4 stroke or 2 stroke Yammies?

waiting for a motor was no big deal. What turned me off was that they didn't even bother to call to let me know the motors were backordered. I could have waited a couple more weeks but they didn't even seem concerned with finding out how long the backorder was going to be or even calling to let me know their original time estimate was off. It was probably for the best, I was kind of thinking estart was the way to go. I haven't heard anything bad yet about yamaha either, it is just my first yamaha motor.

Looks exactly like yours, sixgun - here it is:

6920063654_1f73a18419_z.jpg

7066143585_1fd38d95e1_z.jpg

Build date on sticker says 12/11.
Boat is still in modification stage... I have a rebuild post https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24271

motor works really well for my boat. gets up on plane quickly. So far it hits 25mph on the gps, but I haven't held it at wide open for more than 10-15 seconds or so. I really like being able to shoot across the lake quickly now! Been pretty busy but went out last weekend Saturday for about 5 hours. Didn't catch anything, the wind was terrible. blowing me across the lake with 2 anchors down. Just floating the wind was blowing me about 1mph! Pike and walleye open up here on inland lakes (been open on the big water Erie, St. Claire etc...) tomorrow but the weather is supposed to be crap. If it rains I will have time to get the boat closer to finished. Maybe Sunday will be nice. Regardless, this is a very good sized motor for my 14' alumacraft. Glad I got electric start also. The drip free fittings on the new motors are not any better than the old style fittings. Gas still leaks out when you disconnect the line. Oh well. Costs 2-3 times as much, but same old crap, no improvement in my opinion. EPA approval costs alot I guess.

I have a 2000 Honda 25HP on a 16Ft Lund Tin 70 Beam on Lake of the woods in Canada. A lot of fishing camps up here run with these very successfully on dealer buyback programs. Love the quite running (is it running?) Elec start for old geezer like me is fab.Yes they are heavier than the old 2 cycle but do you intend to take it off the trans regularly? I also understand that Honda have only made 4 cycle since mid 60's They should have it right by now !!! Good luck with yur shopping.
Buff

I previously posted a wee story about our northern fishing camps that run 25 Hondas on camp boats. I am talking norhtern Manitoba and am sure these motors are not babied by the fishermen. I currently run a 2000 25 short shaft Honda on a 70" beam 16 foot Lund very nicely on Lake of the Woods. Would highly recco Honda as reliable as they have been building 4 cycle since mid 60's and by now should have all the bugs corrected. Hopes this helps with yur decision making.

Latest posts