So, im new on here....thinking about my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alright...well i had to drive with the boat attached to go to work this morning, except its supposed to rain...too bad I dont have a cover of some sort...but if i get a little water in it, whats the best way to get it back out? #-o

Also...a co-worker is going to give me another brand new fish finder...because im not even 100% sure the one I have works.

sweet!!! :LOL2:

one more pic...sorry for the quality as it was getting dark last night....i have a bunch of stuff piled in the boat for now....ill clean it up and whatnot when I get a chance:

Attachments

• IMG_20110421_202145.jpg
    IMG_20110421_202145.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 643
93civEJ1 said:
alright...well i had to drive with the boat attached to go to work this morning, except its supposed to rain...too bad I dont have a cover of some sort...but if i get a little water in it, whats the best way to get it back out? #-o

Also...a co-worker is going to give me another brand new fish finder...because im not even 100% sure the one I have works.

sweet!!! :LOL2:

Nice little fishing rig. I got my first boat a couple years ago, and trailering was a new experience
for me as well. Don't worry, these small rigs are easy to handle you'll pick it up quickly.
Also, you mentioned you were concerned about rain. If I parked my rig outside, I would pull the drain plug. You can tilt it back to help drain off any water. Of course, almost everyone forgets to put the plug back in (at least once), LOL. :LOL2:
Oh, another tip. You mentioned pulling your rig to work. I would never leave a outboard like that unattended or not secured. Unfortunately, there's always someone who wants it more than you do!
Anyway, enjoy your new rig. Good luck.

good choice in the boat I am sure you will like it alot, good luck on the water with that.

I ended up not getting that boat, but I did get 2 motors a 18hp evenrude and a old vintage 25hp johnson sea horse, (that should be a good fun thing to tinker with)

make sure you get some pics of that thing in the water cant wait to see some pictures of that thing in action..

Nice choice, and good luck..

thanks yall...I just gotta get used to this whole backing up with the boat thing...Ill still have to pick up some sort of battery for the boat lights / finder / trolling motor

I'm guessing that I've back up a boat many hundreds of times. Even so, sometimes I still get my mind confused and turn the steering wheel the wrong way.

Only two suggestions from me...

#1 Move the steering wheel very little. Most mistakes happen when you over-correct for any error in angle or direction. Small movements move the tail end of the boat big amounts.

#2 It is VERY helpful to have a way to track the back end of the trailer, with or with out a boat on it. I have two upright PVC guide-ons added to the end of the trailer. They help in loading the boat by keeping it straight when driving up the carpeted bunks. They are also invaluable because they help you see the direction of movement of the tail end of the trailer, full or empty.

Even if you had to temporarily clamp a four foot piece of PVC onto the stern of the boat...you will find that backing up is aided by that addition.

regards, Rich

thanks for that suggestion. I guess we will see what happens when I go to launch it in the morning. I did fix the wiring on the trailer a few mins ago...so now the lights work on the trailer. it was a few min job, but hey they work now.

welp my boat is already up for sale...i took it out with the gf this morning, and yeah, its not what im looking for at the moment, and would probably be perfect for someone who doesnt mind fishing alone....looking to sell this one and get something wider that is stable with people more than 1 and will support my fat butt.

Sounds like a good excuse to keep the boat if you ask me. #-o

Hopefully you'll be able to recoup your money and get something that fits what you need.

yeah...i will be keeping it...lol, thats until it gets sold.

I went out today with a thing of 5200 and went over some of the rivets, since saturday i noticed a small leak in the boat...hopefully I got it...im pretty sure its one of the ones that was under one of the front benches.

I just bought my first boat. After looking on cl for months and months. I ended up looking on YouTube at different Jon boats. If you YouTube grizzly tracker 1448 you will find a bunch of videos by smittles. After seeing the set up.(flat bottom mod v hull storage compartment under bow deck and two built in seat post holes and a track system to install all sorts of accessories if u want, and a built in bow trolling motor mount) and it looked very stable in his videos! I then luckily found a guy on cl selling his 2007 grizzly tracker for 1200 bucks. I jumped on it after looking at several other Jon boats. I am very happy with it. It's very stable and great handling. I have a 15 hp on it. I will post a photo of it tomoro. But definitely check out his vids. He even installs a steering console. Tracker sells all sorts of accessories for it although a bit expensive. I think the boat goes for 2400 brand new.

here is the youtube page,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFpP-M9YO4

he has lots of videos, so check them out. it helped sell me on this boat. i know one guy in your post said after you buy your first boat you want a better one. not me, ( i see cool boats id like to have ....if i had money to throw away, but i dont, and this boat is more than i need! it does its job and more than i could ask.) plus i see guys on the ramp that want my boat that have spent twice as much as me on an older used v hull.

honestly im an average joe, but im looking to get into boating and fishing more than ive been , ive fished in many boats, v hull, mod v , flat bottom jon boat, and your average family ski boat and party boat. this boat was afordable, universal, comfortable!, roomy!,stable!, and looks great! several other companies make the same type of boat, like lowe,alumacraft,wellcraft, and many others. all basically the same. doesnt have to be a tracker, but this style and ruggedness gives me more than i need. so stable when i stand on the bow deck, even pass the other fisherman on my boat without worrying about being too wobbly or falling down or overboard!

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 736
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 736
thats awesome man...I really like your boat...I actually had a guy contact me about a trade for a 1442...with an 18hp motor...its a nice boat...but here is the deal...he has it listed on CL for 1300....i have mine listed for 750 w/o trolling motor, or 900 with foot controlled trolling motor....he wants to do a trade, but said he would do the trade on mine without trolling motor + 700$...i was like wait...that means 750+700 =1450...thats 150$ more than you have it listed for on craigslist...that seems like a crappy deal...i mentioned it to him...he said, well i had it listed for 1500 hundred to start.......heres the way I see it, if you have it listed for 1300 now, then thats what i should get it for with my trade included....I just told him I would think about it...and left it at that. Also..we would both be driving 2hrs to even meet up in the middle....if he wont meet me at the 1300$ price he has on craigslist in conjunction with my trade, then he can keep it.

I have another man who wants a smaller boat....BUT, his is a v-hull....and it is pretty dang wide...6hp motor, and clean as a whistle...its listed as a 15ft...54 inch bottom...im supposed to call him friday if I wanna wheel and deal and look at it:

Attachments

• dodson1.jpg
    dodson1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 728
  • dodson2.jpg
    dodson2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 728
  • tri1.jpg
    tri1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 728
  • tri2.jpg
    tri2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 728
Talk him down to a deal that works for you or tell him goodbye.

He's the one that came to you....not the other way around. You have some leverage.

i am still a little confused on what classifies a boat as a mod-v , a semi-v or a full on V....the boat above, what would that be considered? the one with the seats I mean that i said was a V...i was looking and it looks like the rear portion of the inside of the boat may be flat, and then V up toward the center to front of the boat.

How are boats like that as far as stability and moving around in them?

Mine is a 15' 6" but says 16'. It is a very stable boat. Mine is a 6' beam. The one shown is a v hull. Semi-v is basically flat all the way down the boat until the small front of the boat as a small V in front. You can see the differance from a semi for a v.

honestly though, if the guy wants your boat and you get his for nothing or even less than 500 thats a killer deal in my opinion. V hulls handle great in winds and rough waters and at the same time is good on flat water. Ive taken mine into lakes and then the chesepeake bay and it handles great.

The boat with the seats is a v hull. Most all boats are flat or close to flat in the rear. They are pretty stable but not as stable as a flat bottom with a wide beam. The v hull handles much better with waves. The flat bottom will be stable but throw u around more. You'll hit every wave as to going through them like with the v hull. The mod v or semi v hulls are just about a combination of flat and v hulls. Instead of a fully flat front it has a slight v. This helps with the waves and handling. Mine is a mod v. And it's perfect for these mid size lakes I go on. Most smaller lakes don't get huge waves so you'd be ok with a flat. I just really like the stability of my 1448.

And I would not give the guy a penny more than he had it listed for. I would try and talk him down to a decent price unless I thought the boat was worth his asking price. The motor I bought was listed at one price when I contacted him. I told him I would come 3 days later and I wanted it. He told me he'd save it for me but was going to keep it posted on craigslist incase I backed out. He then listed for 300 more but told me he'd give it to me for the first price.

Latest posts