Summer bite?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
First I'm going to say...I hate fishing plastics in the wind.
I hardly ever go to the calm side of a lake and normally always look for humps,flats or long points away from the shoreline.

Anyways,,,went out yesterday to try my luck.
It was a slow...very slow start,2 hours and not even a bite.
Trying plastics(to windy atleast for me)spinnerbaits,topwater,jerkbaits...etc.
Finally did manage a small bass on a tube close to shore about 2.5 hours into my day around 4:30pm.
I gave the shoreline a good pounding after that with not even little one,no pattern?.

Desided to try a flat(1-7') that was running off a series of islands.The wind was blowing through the islands,making eddies and it seemed like a good place to catch some smallies.A few casts in and landed a nice smallie around 1.5lbs.The next hour or so landed another 5 smallies,none smaller then a lbs. and none much over 2lbs.The were all caught on a spinnerbait,ripped at the surface to make a wake.They are pulling like little freight trains this time of year,jumping out the water then digging for the deeper holes.
Had a blast,ended up catch a few more off a windward point,alone with this little guy...don't know what he was thinking trying to eat this 3/8 spinnerbait.I think the bass were looking for him so he was trying to pretend he was a bass:)
went3.JPG
Left work early and was on the water by 2pm fished till 8:30pm.
Landed 12 smallies and 1 white perch.
The "type" of bite that I was getting was the start of "my" summer patterns.
What do you guys consider a summer bite?
O ya, heres a few smallies to look at:
went.JPG
went1.JPG
went2.JPG
Schooling smallies all about the same size,gotta love it.
Only thing better is if they would of took a top water plug

nice catchin!!

I consider my summerbite to be ledges in the heat of the day, then follow the shad when the sun starts getting low (sunset here is at 9pm, so I start following shad around 7pm).. I just look for them on points where they are coming up out of the water WITHOUT bass coming out of the water to get them... it's a real good time to put some soft plastics (with light weights) mimicking dead or injured shad... (and why I use an 8" worm for that mimicking I don't know...)

russ010 said:
nice catchin!!

I consider my summerbite to be ledges in the heat of the day, then follow the shad when the sun starts getting low (sunset here is at 9pm, so I start following shad around 7pm).. I just look for them on points where they are coming up out of the water WITHOUT bass coming out of the water to get them... it's a real good time to put some soft plastics (with light weights) mimicking dead or injured shad... (and why I use an 8" worm for that mimicking I don't know...)

deep ledges that drop off right?

Lol,on the 8" worm.
I can say that about alot of plastics.
I mean I don't swim all that often but I don't think I seen anything that looks like a senko,tube or even a grub.
Well maybe a grub but you get my drift.
I wonder if they bite sometimes to just see what it tastes like,finding out if it's food.

Latest posts