I wanna go fast!

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
fish2keel

I wanna go fast!

Post by fish2keel » 15 Sep 2011, 23:48

Also ditchen what trim and tilt did you use? I dont have it on my motor. I have the hydrallic assist but I really want to run a trim and tilt unit on my tiller.
Force from Above!

Lil' Blue Rude

I wanna go fast!

Post by Lil' Blue Rude » 16 Sep 2011, 01:45

Well, if I told you what I had done to my motor I'd have to kill yah. :lol: :lol: I've got an exhaust,carbs,head shaved, ported, stainless impeller, and a couple other little nick nacks here and there.
Yep I've got some vid of the Lil' Blue Rude in actions.
this is the johnson:
This is the etec:

Let me know what you think.
16' 42" Blazer SS with a custom short shaft 60/40 Evinrude

fish2keel

I wanna go fast!

Post by fish2keel » 16 Sep 2011, 04:09

I got something for you guys to try to answer......I was looking at the seven marine 557 outboard engines(they are amazing!) and I got to thinking. Has anyone made a custom cowling for there outboards or know where I can find someone talking about making one? I googled and googled and couldn't find a thing.

I figured I would ask here since were talking going fast and those 557 engines are fast to say the least!

lil blue rude- Got to love those rudes! I love the etec! That has to be one of the best looking outboards out there! Its nice to see a company use a color other than black or gun metal gray for a motor also!
Force from Above!

Lil' Blue Rude

I wanna go fast!

Post by Lil' Blue Rude » 16 Sep 2011, 14:34

fish2keel wrote: lil blue rude- Got to love those rudes! I love the etec! That has to be one of the best looking outboards out there! Its nice to see a company use a color other than black or gun metal gray for a motor also!
:? I'm confused which one you thinks the etec?
The blue motor is my 94 40hp evinrude (OMC) I painted it mercedes blue when I bouhgt the motor. The dark blue motor is the 60hp etec and the white motor is the 60hp johnson. The etec was on a 16' 48 ' blazer sport and the johnson was on a 17' 48" exterminator GT.

fastcajun

I wanna go fast!

Post by fastcajun » 16 Sep 2011, 20:11

fish2keel wrote:Ok can someone please tell me how big these john boats are? Thats I want my grizzly to look like! GOOD GRIEF!

Those boats are 14-15ft boats. Richard foreman is from south La, he has been build motors forever, alot run on av gas. They also have some 10-12 ft boats with nothing in them but ribs and a 40 merc on the back. talk about fly

I dont know who you emailed and told you they were in Cali but Mr. foreman is from La and the video is from the sabine river if i had to guess. thats where they run mostly
2010 1644 Alweld tunnel runnin from a 93 Tohatsu Mega

fastcajun

I wanna go fast!

Post by fastcajun » 16 Sep 2011, 20:19

reedjj wrote:Notice that they also porpoise like crazy! Even with the jackplates and power tilt and trim! Its just too much power for a boat that size (I cant believe I said that).

In my quest for speed I have talked to a lot of experts. And I keep hearing that you are only going to go so fast in a jon boat no matter how much power you put on it. Too big of a motor and the weight will outweigh the benefit and be more of a hinderence than a helper.

I was told that if you want to go more than about 45 in a flat bottom/mod-V under 20 feet you are out of luck. Over 20 feet and it can handle higher hp and heavier motors like 115hp to 175hp and they can go around 50-55mph depending on setup. Of course there will be exceptions.

Thats in a flat bottom! You can however achive much faster speeds in alum hulls with a "pad" like an aluminum bass boat hull.

This is just what I have been told...I am no expert. But it does make sense. I have seen several Xpress, Crestliner, and even Tracker bass boats that will run well over 50mph with 90-115 motors. Put a 90 on a 1860 jon and it wont do near that! Its all in the hull design. The new 17 Tracker bass boat not just a 1754 Grizzly Jon boat with and interior! Its an advanced hull design.

Still......I want a 90hp 2 stroke for my 1756!

those boats in that video were running faster than 45, there are guys down here running 60s in 12-14ft aluminum boats. I know a guy that has a 90 yammy on a 1648 that will scream.
There are some fast boats down here in La, But thats all they are, a fast boat. not many fish out of them.

fish2keel

I wanna go fast!

Post by fish2keel » 17 Sep 2011, 09:28

Fast cajun Got any pictures?

Blue rude, I just like the etecs personally. The johnson looked to run fast though
Force from Above!

fastcajun

I wanna go fast!

Post by fastcajun » 17 Sep 2011, 12:52

no i dont have pictures on my computer, you can look up sabine river gang on youtube. or search 50hptiller on youtube.

Lil' Blue Rude

I wanna go fast!

Post by Lil' Blue Rude » 17 Sep 2011, 17:16

Lil' Blue Rude wrote:Well, if I told you what I had done to my motor I'd have to kill yah. :lol: :lol: I've got an exhaust,carbs,head shaved, ported, stainless impeller, and a couple other little nick nacks here and there.
Yep I've got some vid of the Lil' Blue Rude in actions.
this is the johnson:
This is the etec:

Let me know what you think.
Kinda thought I would have gotten some more comments on a outboard jets running like these do. :?

ditchen

I wanna go fast!

Post by ditchen » 17 Sep 2011, 21:06

here is one. Late fall I will strip everything off it and do speed runs. Will see if I can get more videos then. As mentioned before I am prop bound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD8YkECUPGM
Last edited by ditchen on 17 Sep 2011, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

http://youtu.be/TD8YkECUPGM

ditchen

I wanna go fast!

Post by ditchen » 17 Sep 2011, 21:12

Lil' Blue Rude wrote:
Kinda thought I would have gotten some more comments on a outboard jets running like these do. :?
Uhm,,, you got my attention!!

My down fall on my setup is this small gear case and prop availability. More mods on hold until I get it propped correctly. I will more than likely mod the boat more and re-power it.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

http://youtu.be/TD8YkECUPGM