2012 Tinboats tournament

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim said:
Do we have a date yet? :D

I'd love to coordinate an event again like I did for Dale hollow a few years back, but, sadly, I am unable to participate again due to my wife's medical condition - hell, I couldn't even make the 3 hour drive last year for the local event :( Plus we had to sell the boat (Leg Breaker) this spring so I'm basically out of commission for now. BUT - If I can help coordinate, research or help in any other way, I'm here for the group - just let me know what I can do.....

Hanr3 said:
Loggerhead Mike said:
Those Lunker in Florida would get my vote but I know most members would be to far away to drive
I'd like Florida but I can make it anywhere within reasonable driving distance since my vacation got cancelled this year. Maybe we should vote on a state so everybody gets a say-so ?

Realistically the tournaments should remain local or regional. Even if a single state was decided, it will end up being a local/regional event anyway.

Seems there are several interested in a Florida tournament, great. Maybe one of you could coordinate the event in Florida.

Personally, I'm self limited to about 4 hours from central Illinois and looking forward to next years event.

X2
But, one day when funds/time allows, I'd like to make it south to hook up with some of those florida hogs!

Hanr3 said:
Loggerhead Mike said:
Those Lunker in Florida would get my vote but I know most members would be to far away to drive
I'd like Florida but I can make it anywhere within reasonable driving distance since my vacation got cancelled this year. Maybe we should vote on a state so everybody gets a say-so ?

Realistically the tournaments should remain local or regional. Even if a single state was decided, it will end up being a local/regional event anyway.

Seems there are several interested in a Florida tournament, great. Maybe one of you could coordinate the event in Florida.

Personally, I'm self limited to about 4 hours from central Illinois and looking forward to next years event.

Like I said I'm up for anywhere on this side of the country. Maybe an IL get together could possibly fall in bow season to? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IL has my vote. We have to stay close to BYOB so he can provide the boat ramp comedy to kick the tourney off right. If we are too far away from his house, he might not make it - and I'm not volunteering to be 'that guy' (though I did start my motor out of the water at the WI tourney :lol:

southren Il has some awesome fishing Crab orchard has unlimited hp devils kitchen, little grassy has 10 hp limit
early june I'm in i'll be there anyway
in fact if you want a fish fry i can provide unlimited numbers of crappie and pan fish

This sounds like fun..but I would suggest it not be in a lake where there is a HP limit. That could eliminate a lot of people right away.

Been looking for IL lakes to fish but those dang horsepower limits are killing me I'd be better served looking for non hp lakes, then camping, THEN at the prosective for good fishing.

Still looking at it though...

FishingCop said:
I'd love to coordinate an event again like I did for Dale hollow a few years back, but, sadly, I am unable to participate again due to my wife's medical condition - hell, I couldn't even make the 3 hour drive last year for the local event :( Plus we had to sell the boat (Leg Breaker) this spring so I'm basically out of commission for now. BUT - If I can help coordinate, research or help in any other way, I'm here for the group - just let me know what I can do.....

Ultimate bummer. I pray your wifes condition improves.

wasilvers said:
Been looking for IL lakes to fish but those dang horsepower limits are killing me I'd be better served looking for non hp lakes, then camping, THEN at the prosective for good fishing.

Clinton Lake, where I've been fishing allot lately, has no hp restrictions and a nice campground...but the length limit on bass makes having a tournament hard if you only have a couple of participants that dont know the lake real well..

Might look at shelbyville. It's length limit is only 14".

Here's a link to Bo Woods Campground. I camped there a few times growing up and had a pretty good experience from what I remember.

https://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73182

wasilvers said:

Clinton Lake- no hp restriction, has 300+ campsites, and lots of Crappie bigger than 10" :mrgreen:

Just throwing this out there. Clinton also has group campsites. A group camp area for adults or youth groups has room for 75, minimum of 10. It provides a secluded wooded setting and has a large shelter with electricity, three RV pads with electrical hookups, toilets, tables, grills and water there are no shower facilities at the group camp area. We can use the regular campsite shower facilities, just have to walk or drive to them.
Cost is $20-$40 per night- doing the math assuming the max cost and minimum number of people. $40x2nights= $80 divided by 5 teams (10 people) is $8 per team member per night. For comparison, regular electrical campsites are $20-$25 dollars per night. More teams, lower cost per team.

Thinking out loud, it would be great to camp as a group like we did in Wisconsin, at Clinton we can get a group rate, be in one spot that will accomodate campers, and tents, plus it has a shelter, fire pit, and water.

Like BYOB says, Bass length limit is tough, and Shelbyville may be a better option.
Im open to where ever.

Hanr3 said:
Clinton Lake- no hp restriction, has 300+ campsites, and lots of Crappie bigger than 10" :mrgreen:

Thanks - anything longer than 10 might break my rod! :lol:

Going to call Clinton tomorrow to see what's available. I'm sold on the archery range :wink: The bass length limit is a bit high, but I'm sure some of us tinboaters can manage. The locals will be responsible for fish for the fish fry though - WI tourney didn't work out so well for us eating what we caught. 8) I'm good with group camping, this one has electric, toilets and water. Surprisingly, other group areas don't have one of these three items that I consider basics for 'roughing it' :roll:

Updates coming...

About dates...Clinton is a power plant lake, so the fish are usually spawning thru late march/early april. Usually from june to october, much of the lake is 95°-100° water temps. Even the part I fished tonight, which is about a mile upstream from the discharge, was 88°. Also, once summer hits, both lakes can get down right dangerous for small boats, due to all of the large boats, skiers and jet skis flying around. Not trying to put a damper on things, but if I were traveling a long distance to get here, those would be some things I'd like to know...

and that's why I prefer HP restricted lakes for summer fishing. Summer being between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Alrighty - Clinton lake is available ANY weekend we want for next year. I'm thinking Early/Mid May. Any comments or suggested weekends? Also, I plan on reserving it for 3 nights, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Then I can get there Thursday and try to locate some monsters before Saturday.

Clinton lake was selected because it isn't the far side of IL, the DNR regulations list it as one of the only lakes over 1,000 acres where you can catch a 2-6lb bass, and there is no hp limit. The group camping is available any weekend in 2011 (can't even book it yet) and is supposed to be really nice. The camground guy said that April - June is the best fishing and they host a number of tourneys then. Personally I can't get off work till May so April is out.

Get your suggestions in now cause once it's set, there's no crying about not making it :wink:

Hanr3 said:
FishingCop said:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Sadly, she will just continue to deteriorate :( She'll be 59 years old tomorrow and her mind is sharp as a tack, but she has a rare form of Parkinson's that took her down in just one year. She is wheelchair bound, catheterized and can barely speak due to loss of muscle control. She can type on her laptop with one finger - takes 20 minutes to type a full sentence but that's the only way she can communicate... We are hoping she stays strong enough to travel to Louisville in October for our daughter's wedding....

FishingCop said:
Hanr3 said:
FishingCop said:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Sadly, she will just continue to deteriorate :( She'll be 59 years old tomorrow and her mind is sharp as a tack, but she has a rare form of Parkinson's that took her down in just one year. She is wheelchair bound, catheterized and can barely speak due to loss of muscle control. She can type on her laptop with one finger - takes 20 minutes to type a full sentence but that's the only way she can communicate... We are hoping she stays strong enough to travel to Louisville in October for our daughter's wedding....

Just an idea, if she can type with one finger. Swype for texting on a phone is dragging a finger around a keyboard to make words. It was originally developed to track eye movement. I don't know if it would be faster or not, but about any android phone can run it landscape. Just last year the texting record was set with it. I just tested it on my phone dragging really slowing and moving around letters a lot, it seemed to work good. If you wanted, I'm fairly certain I could build a small program to allow typing and then reads the typed words off (might need a wifi connection available). Let me know if you want me to build it - might take a night.

Prayers sent!

[youtube]cMoG4hgy3lA[/youtube]

Latest posts