BBQ Pitmasters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim said:
So, fast forward 8 months and Still no smoker. The issue is I cant decide what I want. Do I want an offset....Tending to the fire evey hour or so. Do I want a Ceramic....I'm not feeling it. Then I came across one of these:

SmokeyMountainCooker-lrg.1887.jpg

This is a Weber smokey mountain cooker 22 inch.

The Time has come, I can not wait any longer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The 10 year anniversary is coming up and a smoker is what I asked for.

For me it came down to wanting to build my own, but I also wanted a decent amount of cooking area. I think the offset smokers are easier to work. The Weber Smokey Mountain or Brinkmann are nice but I can accomplish the same thing in my Weber One-Touch charcoal grill, heat on one side and meat on the other. I use my big smoker for large parties and my Weber One-Touch for whenever I get the urge to smoke something good.

FishingCop said:
Yeah, I know, but we don't have a smoker and grilling is better than the oven :)

Get a smoker box or you can wrap wood chunks/chips in tinfoil and poke holes in the top.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/droqmzBbBsE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/droqmzBbBsE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I have 2 weber gassers and I love them. I want a new toy.

I have no desire to build a UDS because I know it will come out wrong! :LOL2:

I have been watching BBQ pitmasters this season and yes it stinks compared to last time. I think it's all set up. I knew Trig was going to win even before the show was on. I bet he wins the 100K.

Anywho this should all be over by noon tomorrow. 8)

Jim said:
I have no desire to build a UDS because I know it will come out wrong! :LOL2:

Not if you follow the instructions in that link. It's the one I used and it works great.

Oh and for the record, they screwed Pit Masters up big time.

Not Sure This Will Help Any With Choosing A Style Of Smoker, But They Have Loads Of Great Recipes To Try Once You Do. Every Week A New Video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb#p/u/7/9cNFRxuBXOQ

BTW - I Have Two Smokers, An Electric Weber, And A Propane Char-Broil. The Char-Broil Went To Deer Camp With Me Last Weekend And Produced Three Super Racks Of BabyBack Ribs.

Bubba said:
bassboy1 said:
8 Boston butts going on in the morning. I'm about to go out and start making some charcoal.

What time should I be down? :mrgreen: :lol:

I should be pullin' by 5 or 5:30. Luckily, they aren't all ours (ones we are doing for friends account for 4 of them), so we won't have quite so much to pull.

Jim, we used to have a couple different vertical smokers like you post. I'll say that it ain't the smoker that makes the food, but the operator. HOWEVER, the right smoker makes the process sooo much easier. The quality of our food didn't change a bit when I made the big one - just the ease of making it, which in turn leads to amount of use (when it is no big deal, you end up using it a LOT more).

Never is a long long time, but after having messed around with designing and building a couple larger heavy walled smokers, I'll never go back to a storebought sheet metal smoker, and I really like my reverse flow style, over the vertical style. Over the whole cookbox of the one pictured, there is less than 2 degrees temperature difference at any given time, and it will maintain a very steady temperature without doing much of anything for hours at a time. Takes a bit longer to get hot, but once it does, the thermal mass gives a much greater room for error before any temperature change is noted.

Probably about time for some stove paint. That thing is pretty ugly.

Quackrstackr said:
If they are wrapped in foil the entire time anyway, why not just cook them in the oven?

Jim, I have an awful lot of friends that swear by their Masterbuilt electric units.

I cook on the grill because my wife won't let me sit by the oven and drink beer.

Flatsdaddy said:
Quackrstackr said:
If they are wrapped in foil the entire time anyway, why not just cook them in the oven?

Jim, I have an awful lot of friends that swear by their Masterbuilt electric units.

I cook on the grill because my wife won't let me sit by the oven and drink beer.
:LOL2:

A man, his grill, and a beer. :D

Flatsdaddy said:
Quackrstackr said:

Time to put the wife in the oven and sit by it with a beer until she's done. :LOL2:

Happy anniversary, happy anniversary, happy anniversary, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapy anniversary. :- :LOL2:

It's a done deal! A weber 22inch Smokey mountain sits in the back yard waiting to go to work! Pics to follow soon.

Food pics are up...
Loinbacks pre-rubbed with "the best ribs in the universe" rub, smoked over cherry wood - basted with apple juice, apple juice and apples in the waterpan. Wrapped a little late, top 2 were covered in Famous Daves (blue) sauce, bottom one was left with the rub only. Best compliment was from my daughter, "These are spiced just right, you can taste the spices, but it's still sweet". Your mouth burned a bit, but was never on fire... I want more already! They could have used more smoke, since cherry is so light, but still a 9 out of 10.
Delicious!

2010-09-04-3racks.jpg

wasilvers said:
Flatsdaddy said:

BEST QUOTE EVER!

Thanks. It's sad but true.

It's going to be cool enough to grill here soon. Someone mentioned "the best ribs in the universe rub" what are the chances of getting that recipe? I'm always looking for a better rub.

Jim said:
12:34am the Butt is on the smoker! Temp gauge pinned at 250. Full "First smoked Butt" report will be deatiled shortly. :D

MMMmmmm, I think smoking pork is the best smell in the world. Your neighbors are going to wake up hungry!

I'll get that receipie tomorrow. It's pretty good.

7:34 am. Ok, I'm a little sleepy. Up every 2 hours just to check....First time newbie, give me a break.

So far the Temp never went over 270. Still in the area of 250-260(at the lid) so that means that it is 5-10 degrees lower where the butt sits. I also flipped the butt over. In 2 hours the top rack goes on and 3 full racks or baby backs are being put on. \:D/