BBQ Pitmasters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
110_1004.jpg

=P~

My wife is going to smoke a turkey breast on Sat. they are so juicy when they come out.. I can't wait

You guys got me cooking tonight. I'm in charge of food for the office this Saturday - just started the smoker up for 5 racks of baby backs. Gonna add a rotissary chicken (in case someone doesn't like ribs) some coleslaw, potatoe salad, and buttered rolls. MMMmmmm MMMmmmm - can't wait to taste them!

BTW - it's only 25 degrees outside right now and about a foot of snow outside. Should be different.

Will

wasilvers said:
You guys got me cooking tonight. I'm in charge of food for the office this Saturday - just started the smoker up for 5 racks of baby backs. Gonna add a rotissary chicken (in case someone doesn't like ribs) some coleslaw, potatoe salad, and buttered rolls. MMMmmmm MMMmmmm - can't wait to taste them!

BTW - it's only 25 degrees outside right now and about a foot of snow outside. Should be different.

Will

:postpics:

Pics coming. I took some, but left the cam at home and I'm at work now so I'll post one later.
These are not the best baby backs I've ever made, but not the worst either. Had to move to my backup smoker, thought I had applewood and but it was hickory - so I used straight cherry instead - should have tossed on at least one piece of hickory, but didn't think about it till too late. Rubbed the ribs with the BRITU (best ribs in the universe rub - found on the web - cut salt in half) and let them sit 1.5 hours (should be 2 at the least - overnight is sooooo much better) but I was running short on time. It was 20 degrees and 10-15 mph wind. Fought with the wind to control the smoker, only was able to maintain 225 for about 2 of the 3 hours, rest of the time was over/under that 'chasing the draft'. This smoker has hotspots and I haven't ID'ed them all yet, so of the 5 racks made, 3 are ok, 2 are either too light or overdone/dried. That's ok, work only paid for 3 anyway :) The two I bought for myself turned out GREAT! We'll see what the final verdict is at lunch time. I'm certain it beats out the sandwiches we had last week! :|

So, fast forward 8 months and Still no smoker. The issue is I cant decide what I want. Do I want an offset....Tending to the fire evey hour or so. Do I want a Ceramic....I'm not feeling it. Then I came across one of these:

SmokeyMountainCooker-lrg.1887.jpg

This is a Weber smokey mountain cooker 22 inch.

The Time has come, I can not wait any longer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The 10 year anniversary is coming up and a smoker is what I asked for.

I have two smokers i use 1st sample Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal and the 2nd Char-griller smokin Pro.

A little extra trick i found to make my ribs mouth watering.

I dry smoke them with my own dry rub, when done lightly cover/brush with your favorite sauce my favorite is "Sweet Baby Rays". or my own mix

then wrap them in saran "plastic" wrap, (usually two racks of ribs together) then wrap again in tin foil - let set for about 20 minutes
and the sauce soaks into the ribs and they are the best.
Try it and let me know what you all think

I got this smoker from BassPro for $50 and it works just fine.

Attachments

• smoker1.JPG
    smoker1.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 450
  • smoker2.JPG
    smoker2.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 450
  • ribs1.JPG
    ribs1.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 450
For those without a smoker, here's how I do it: A little BBQ sauce on the ribs, double wrap them in foil, put them on the gas grill set at 220 degrees for 2 hours, turn them every 15 minutes or so. If you let the temp get up higher than 220, they will burn. After 2 hours, unwrap them, sauce them up good and cook on higher heat for about 10 minutes each side. They are "fall off the bone" from slow cooking in their own juice in the foil for 2 hours. They turn out great :) Don't know how to regulate the temp if you don't have a gas grill? Charcoal grills don't allow temp control???

If they are wrapped in foil the entire time anyway, why not just cook them in the oven?

Jim, I have an awful lot of friends that swear by their Masterbuilt electric units.

Quackrstackr said:
If they are wrapped in foil the entire time anyway, why not just cook them in the oven?

I have tried that several times, they just don't seem to cook in the oven the same as on the grill - plus, the last 20 minutes of basting gives it the 'grill' flavoring :)

Awe...you're kidding me! All this food talk and all I have for lunch is a frozen dinner! You guys just don't play fair! #-o

FishingCop said:
Quackrstackr said:

I have tried that several times, they just don't seem to cook in the oven the same as on the grill - plus, the last 20 minutes of basting gives it the 'grill' flavoring :)
Grilling flavor isn't the smoked flavor...
When we do our ribs we start them in the smoker with a heavy smoke for about 2 hours then we wrap them in foil and cook them for 5 hours at 220.
they do fall off the bone and are very tender... i think we will have them this weekend along with another smoked turkey breast.
I also smoke a whole chicken every week all summer long

Jim, The Weber 22" is a bigger version of the original 18" Weber vertical -considered by many good bbq'ers as one of the best vertical smokers out there. The original could run 4-8 hours on one set, just start it up and forget it - and no hotspots. I'm not sure if the 22 has any hotspots or weaknesses.

I'm making ribs tomorrow - If we can find any at the store! Not sure if I want the vertical smoker or the the big offset/vertical. Only three racks, the big smokers seems like overkill for only 3 racks... but it's cool to run it.

MMMMmmmm I can taste them already :D

redbug said:
FishingCop said:
Quackrstackr said:

Grilling flavor isn't the smoked flavor...
When we do our ribs we start them in the smoker with a heavy smoke for about 2 hours then we wrap them in foil and cook them for 5 hours at 220.
they do fall off the bone and are very tender... i think we will have them this weekend along with another smoked turkey breast.
I also smoke a whole chicken every week all summer long

Yeah, I know, but we don't have a smoker and grilling is better than the oven :)

Jim said:
So, fast forward 8 months and Still no smoker. The issue is I cant decide what I want. Do I want an offset....Tending to the fire evey hour or so. Do I want a Ceramic....I'm not feeling it. Then I came across one of these:

This is a Weber smokey mountain cooker 22 inch.

The Time has come, I can not wait any longer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The 10 year anniversary is coming up and a smoker is what I asked for.

Build one and save a bundle. A UDS is the way to go. These babies take very little tending to hold temp and the results are awesome. A Weber is a good choice also I have heard.

Great, now I'm hungry again. #-o

PC110020.jpg

PC110014.jpg

P1130114.JPG

P1130117.JPG

P5210322.jpg

P5210325.jpg

Can't you smoke on a gasser anyway? When I do steaks on charcoal, I like mesquite flavor too. So I add a fist sized chunk of wood to the charcoal. Before I cook, I pull the wood off and set it on the side. It starts smoking 'heavy' right away, which helps out my steaks a lot. Even burgers are better with mesquite.

Could you do the same with gas - fire it up and set it on the side? I've wrapped wood chips in 3 layers of tin foil and poked one or two 1/8 inch holes on the top for smoke to escape and tossed on coals. The foil keeps the mess down and it smokes decent enough if you don't have too many holes in it. If you are going for hours, one of these ever 30-45 minutes works pretty good.

For the newbys: Hold temps at 225 (+-20) degrees. Put your remote thermometer at the meat level, don't rely on the door thermometer. Don't keep checking the meat every 20 minutes - it's there, it's cooking! Heavy smoke is bad. Lighter smoke is good. If the firedepartment shows up, you have way too much smoke. Salt (and spices) on your beef overnight help with bigger smoke rings. Meat only takes smoke till it is 140 degrees internal, after that, you might as well foil it - or at least stop intentionally adding smoke. Meat will continue to cook after removed from the smoker (till the temp goes down). Let your bigger cuts (briskets, butts etc) sit for AT LEAST 30 minutes - I've let them sit (foiled in a cooler) for 5 hours before - You want it to cool a bit an let the liquids redistribute. MMMMmmm

anybody seen the new season of pitmasters? i dont get tv but went to my parents house last nite and it was on. alot different, i liked last season better