Looking out the front door this morning...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My truck is a 2015 Toyota Tundra. It's pictured in my thread about my boat trailer over on the page. It's the second Tundra I've had. The first was a 2000 Tundra. I loved the 2000. I thought then, and still do, that it beats any of the newer Tundras for looks. In fact, I think most pickup truck models today look about as good as a rented bowling shoe.

Both of my Tundras have done well in the snow. The 4WD functions well and with no trouble. 4WD/AWD is needed at our house. In snow, there's no climbing the driveway if one is driving a FWD or 2WD-only vehicle. It's steep down at the highway and one must go slow because of the turn-in down there and steep slopes on the side. Take it a little too fast, and you'll find yourself stuck in Farmer Jason's bean field.

. In snow, there's no climbing the driveway if one is driving a FWD or 2WD-only vehicle. It's steep down at the highway and one must go slow because of the turn-in down there and steep slopes on the side. Take it a little too fast, and you'll find yourself stuck in Farmer Jason's bean field.
Exact scenario here. Steep driveway really sucks in the winter. My Tacoma was a 4x4 V-6 with the 6 speed manual trans. Bought it brand new. Even with all terrain tires it got stuck in the driveway in anything more than 3 “ of snow. Maybe I got a bad one,who knows but it was a piece of crap. Learned my lesson, I’ll stick with my chevy’s

Your guys driveway sounds like mine lol about 400ft long and steep. My house is on top of a ridge about 3/4 of the way up a mountain in WV. There is one rd leading in and out off this mountian and it can best be described as tricky.

My 4Runner has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Deep snow and rough trails out west, mud muck and beach sand here in the southeast never even close to feeling I was gonna get stuck. Tows my 17 foot grizzly well and just do normal maintenance. Good off road tires are certainly important. Plus when I put down the seat it makes a great bed (as long as you're 5'9" and under!)

Oh yeah, I forgot... If you put some weight in the bed of the smaller trucks, it makes all the difference!

Our water pressure finally is strong enough for a shower this morning. However temps going down to 26 next two nights, so I imagine it will be ***** baths until Mon/Tues. LOL Our utility system just isn’t prepared for any type of extended freezing weather. Based on history, it doesn’t make economic sense to freeze proof it either. I get it. It isn’t so bad, but it’s definitely an inconvenience. Certainly opens your eyes to how dependent even “prideful independent” people really are. I used to live in the country with my own well etc. Wife wanted to move into a big nice neighborhood. So we did. After 5 yrs of this, I’m chomping at the bit to get back in the woods. This time I’m getting some goats and chickens. Propane generator with a few 200 gal storage tanks and enough solar stuff to keep us going for a month or so. It would be better than I am currently. I feel neutered in this current environment.

Coming down here as well. Looks like another 5 inches before all said and done.

Billy, I believe you should have kept that Tacoma. You would be in possession of the rarest one ever made. Could be a collector. LOL

Billy, I believe you should have kept that Tacoma. You would be in possession of the rarest one ever made. Could be a collector. LOL
Why is that?
A couple friends of mine against my recommendation bought Tacomas, both sold them within a year. I’m not the only one.

Taco1.JPG

1989 V6 Turbo Deluxe Cab Taco, with rear and front lockers. it was lifted just a bit. I miss that truck.
Now 2012 Tundra 5.7. 4 inch lift, Rear lockers with winch and plow.

Last edited:
We live in the woods. Wood stove heat, (with electric, if we feel lazy) our own sweet water well, gardens, chickens, grapevines, blueberry bushes, plum trees, big gardens, three generators in case of power outages, etc.

It's a bit more work day to day, but it's good work.
Right there with ya. Wood heat is the best. Have all my own timber on the property to keep me in heat during the winter. Can walk out my back door and hunt to put venison in the freezer. Living in the sticks has a few drawbacks but the trade off is more than worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_5519.jpeg
    IMG_5519.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
Billy, I stand corrected. Being from down here we don’t see rust problems like y’all experience up north. Never heard anyone say anything bad about them before. The older Tacoma is a highly valued vehicle here, but I see how the early models had a box frame that caused a big corrosion problem/recalls etc on those models. Opened my eyes to make sure I look a little closer underneath those. I have been in the market for one as a work truck.

Lots of Tacoma's in our area with rusted out frames and it seems like the problem has never been corrected. I've seen trucks that pretty much break in half, even with less 100K miles on them. It's not just Tacoma's, Chevy, GM, Ford, Dodge all have serious frame/body/brake line/fuel line rust issues with the brine and salt they use on the roads in winter. I had a 99 Tacoma that had the frame delaminating so I sold it. I had an 88 4Runner and a 2001 Silverado that each blew out the brakes on me. The 2009 Silverado I sold last year had the bed crossmembers more than half rusted away and the bedsides were bubbling with rust.

Lots of Tacoma's in our area with rusted out frames and it seems like the problem has never been corrected. I've seen trucks that pretty much break in half, even with less 100K miles on them. It's not just Tacoma's, Chevy, GM, Ford, Dodge all have serious frame/body/brake line/fuel line rust issues with the brine and salt they use on the roads in winter. I had a 99 Tacoma that had the frame delaminating so I sold it. I had an 88 4Runner and a 2001 Silverado that each blew out the brakes on me. The 2009 Silverado I sold last year had the bed crossmembers more than half rusted away and the bedsides were bubbling with rust.
That is crazy. What do y'all do for some type of under coating protection? I imagine you would do a coating when it's brand new.