Merc 402 40hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all - I've just found myself too far down the rabbit's hole to get out without realizing it on far too many a project not to ask the questions I wish others around had prodded me with.

Thanks for asking me those questions. I'm just glad to have some feed back on this.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I figured I'd try to fire the motor before i tore it down and couldn't get any spark. I cut back the wires on the stator and found more corroded wires. Looks like I'll be buying another stator... One more step to reliability. Looks like i might just have more time off the water with this tin than i thought. All i have that works is a 4hp merc And I know that wouldn't push the tin without struggling.

I know you've already stated you didn't intend on selling it so care so much what it's worth when you're done. But FYI, I cleaned up, tuned up, and painted this 20 horse of the same vintage and then sold it for $650. With yours being a 40horse, and all that work done to it, I can't imagine it not being worth quite a bit more than what my 20 was.

That 200 looks good man! Im all about reliability. I'm going to do mine in a red and black two tone. It should look real nice once finished.

Little by little it's coming apart... I've already broke one exhaust bolt last week. Sucks...

View attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1450232627013.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1450232627013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 264
  • uploadfromtaptalk1450232641326.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1450232641326.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 264
Yep that's what mine will look like soon enough lol.

Yep any seal needed is provided in the kit. Needle bearings and all.

And let the scoring begin...
48ad0c275ff1936c440284216b074d8c.jpg

2a1cab06c8d5b76f21e06e38fbd56ba8.jpg

f332e441543c0803b0a2c206dc2e0ac7.jpg

8c2f15efcd43da0fa1a2c8b81598abf1.jpg

96a614c94a460860d7e56968595c6c9e.jpg

What do you guys think about the scoring?

Just confirmation of what you already knew - compression loss. once you pull the pistons and can take measurements of how deep they run you'll be able to figure if honing/re boring is still an option.

Yep. I should have it taken down completely this weekend.

The scoring was in the cylinder with the lost compression right? At least it lined up with the port opening so you could see it and confirm that as the cause & not that something warped from over heating.

True. I didn't think about it like that. It does look like some trash made its way into the engine.

You did check the lower unit right? Oil is nice & clean & it shifts into fwd gear cleanly & into reverse? Now that you've got it off the powerhead you should be able to tell that the gears turn cleanly too.

Yep the lower end is in great shape. Forward neutral and reverse work smoothly oils good as well.

I'm late to this thread, but I rebuilt my 70hp Force this past summer. It's a 3 cylinder and the machine shop charged me $160 to bore/hone all cylinders plus they pressed out my wrist pins for me and pressed on the upper main bearing on the crank. I think the press work was only $10 and the machine work was $50/cylinder. So for a two cylinder you may be looking at $100 from your local machine shop.

Also, I bought my rebuild kit from https://www.powerheadkit.com/mercury-mariner.htm. They have good customer service and it seemed to be a great deal once you start pricing all of the individual parts off of parts websites.

wmk0002 said:
I'm late to this thread, but I rebuilt my 70hp Force this past summer. It's a 3 cylinder and the machine shop charged me $160 to bore/hone all cylinders plus they pressed out my wrist pins for me and pressed on the upper main bearing on the crank. I think the press work was only $10 and the machine work was $50/cylinder. So for a two cylinder you may be looking at $100 from your local machine shop.

Also, I bought my rebuild kit from https://www.powerheadkit.com/mercury-mariner.htm. They have good customer service and it seemed to be a great deal once you start pricing all of the individual parts off of parts websites.
Hey your not too late. Thanks for the heads up on the parts source. They seem to have more parts for less $$$. I'll give them a call to see what's in the kit compared to the other site I was considering. How was the quality of the parts?

Texas Prowler said:
wmk0002 said:

Hey your not too late. Thanks for the heads up on the parts source. They seem to have more parts for less $$$. I'll give them a call to see what's in the kit compared to the other site I was considering. How was the quality of the parts?

I was satisfied with everything it came with. The pistons were Vertex brand which are good quality. I know you can upgrade to Weisco too if you want. Some of the gaskets seemed a little thin but the main ones (the head, exhaust, and spacer plate gaskets) were up to OEM standards.

Latest posts