Merc 402 40hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thanks! Anyone know if there is a benefit of running forged pistons in a outboard?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Ugh!!! So neither cylinder has any scoring. Both are smooth as silk. BUT the bottom cylinder has dimples in it...ugh! Should i be worried? See pics.
3d955e2069d224e4d64063903c1bafc2.jpg
e20c9a94c5c8b80c00f2db86bc044ad8.jpg

If you remember the top piston had scoring and low compression. The bottom had 120psi.

Well I spoke with my outboard shop and he says he can repair the damage by welding and smoothing it back to shape. I'll go that route if the block doesn't need sleeves.

Yep the wot timing looked like it had been tampered with by the P.O. I figure since the top cylinder was not firing the po tried to advance the timing thinking it would help. But it just messed things up bad.

The other cylinder wasn't firing. At least that's what the plugs look like.

Sounds like you've got an electrical issue there too - did that motor have a switchbox on it or was it earlier than that?

Oh yea the stator is toast. I'll take pics when I get home. The wires were toast. Both ignition coils check out good. But the wiring to them was also toast hints the no firing ugh. I'll be so happy once this thing is fixed up

7a34f3e706058776c38e992738a28ae2.jpg
This is what I found under electricians tape. The ignition coil wires were the same.

Any progress? Or did the electrical issues put the financial nail in the coffin on this project?

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/1973/1402223/FLYWHEEL%2C%20IGNITION%20COIL%20AND%20SWITCH%20BOX/parts.html

is that your motor? if so there is a stator listed as part #5255 in the diagram as component #9 which appears to be miss-listed for $7.29.

Yea this merc has it me beat. The reed block is trashed which means it needs upper and lower bearings, stator cheapest i found is 168 before ship. Shop fees $150, power head rebuild kit 300... I'm gonna just trash this one and find me an OMC of some sort. I could replace all those things and still not have a reliable motor...ugh

Texas Prowler said:
Yea this merc has it me beat. The reed block is trashed which means it needs upper and lower bearings, stator cheapest i found is 168 before ship. Shop fees $150, power head rebuild kit 300... I'm gonna just trash this one and find me an OMC of some sort. I could replace all those things and still not have a reliable motor...ugh
Ouch ... sorry to hear that ...

No worries man... Just more time off the water and more time to paint the boat.

Latest posts