Rig Rebuild - FINISHED

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeA57 said:
Fantastic job Larry. I especially like the electrical panel. Where did you find that fuse panel? I'll be looking for one of those when I get finished with my trailer and get going on my boat.

Mike

I got it when I orderd the cables. Came from https://shop.genuinedealz.com/
They have Free Shipping and a good selection of fuse blocks and electrical components.
Delivery was pretty quick too, only took about three days for me to get the stuff I ordered.

Saturday didn't pan out, too cold outside. Today turned out to be a decent day and a lot got done. The trailer is now ready to get the boat back on it so I can make bunk adjustments. I didn't put the winch setup on yet, don't want to scratch up the paint by having to move it any more than need be once its on. I checked the tracking by measuring from the coupler to center of each hub and looks like it's all but perfect. Should track great behind the truck (I hope).

Progress:

P1010037.jpg

Thanks guys. There is still a lot of work left to do a time is getting shorter. The weather just isn't cooperating at all with me.
trailer still needs to be wired, the winch, jack, and fenders installed, and adjustments made for bunks and rollers. I barely got started with the boat.

I hear ya about the weather. 50+ all for the past couple of weeks and last night we get 5" of snow. going to be in the high 40's today and back up to the 50's tomorrow.

Finally a nice day! Finished the trailer today and the boat is back on it. Started attaching the first of my framework inside, behind the seat so I can make the floor piece. I want to make all the framing and flooring pieces and fit, then remove before I paint the interior so I don't scratch everything up. I also need to remove the REG numbers and put new ones where they should be (up higher).
I don't have any side guides on the trailer but not really sure I need them. Maybe later.
Here's the boat on the trailer:

B1.jpg

How are you securing the decking to it's framework? I'd like to have mine (just a floor in my 14' V) so I can remove it if I need to. I'm thinking of using stainless flat head screws with the contoured washers that fit the screw size. The only thing I'm wondering about is about the center areas of the floor. The sides would be fine but I'm afraid the center areas will not be solid enough to the framing. A couple screws there would work but not look too great in the center of carpeting. I'm using 1-1/2" square lumber for framing.

Heres what Im planning for my floor, but may not work for yours if your going to remove it, but maybe..... cut a small X in the carpet and put a black wood screw into the framing, then just spray a little glue on a Q-tip or something, put a little glue on the head of the screw and stick the carpet back down.

I used T-Nuts in the decking and bolted it from the bottom side. This of course will only work if you hatches or some other way to get to the underside. If you go this approach, go ahead and drill the hole for the T-Nut and the frame at the same time. That way once the carpet is down you can easily locate where the bolts go.

I will not be able to get to the underside, so that is pretty much out the window. I never gave it much thought until now. I kept seeing all these mods but I don't remember ever seeing how these people secured the already carpeted decks they built. In thinking, it's looking like I may have to put a few screws someplace in the opened area of carpeting, if I want to ever remove the panels without ripping things apart. Hopefully, someone will have some ideas. My boat is not wide but I don't think that the whole center would stay against the framing without some fasteners.

I maybe able to help with this one (I'm a flooring contractor.)

If you don't want to see the screws, cut small circles out of the flooring material using a nickle or quarter as a guide. Once you have secured the floor to (what the heck are you securing it to anyway?) your frame, either reuse your cutout or make new ones. You can use contact cement or Scott 77 spray adhesive to glue them in (although the latter is a bit messy for small patches.)

There are numerous ways to secure the floor to the frame.

Option 1
Counter sink your wood screws, and paint over the whole top of the floor. Th epaint will seal the holes, and wood.

Option 2
Screw from the bottom side and use t-nuts. T-nuts are like a bolt that recesses below teh surface, it has point to hold into the wood. They work great, however they aren't cheap. Google them.

Option 3
Drill a small depth hole, install screw so the head is below the surface and use wood putty or dowel rod to fill in the hole above the screw. Dowel rod works in 3/4", if your going with anything thinner go for teh wood putty.

Me, I went with option #1. Glued and screwed the 1/2" deck from the top and put down two coats of enamel paint.

file.php

file.php

then again my whole deck was removeable until I added the flotation back into the boat. The front of the deck is secured by my front deck, and the back by my rear floatation box. Link to my build in my signature.

I ran mine thru the green carpet and used a sharpie marker to knock the shine off. You can see it but it not a show boat, I can also take it all down in 30 minutes.

sccamper said:
I ran mine thru the green carpet and used a sharpie marker to knock the shine off. You can see it but it not a show boat, I can also take it all down in 30 minutes.

That's what I'm thinking. My boat is far from pretty and the floor/carpet is being put in to replace pressure treated lumber the previous owner had in. I'll probably end up putting a few screws/washers in the center and not worry about seeing them.
The more I think about it, there isn't really anything else I can do and still be able to access the screws should I need to get to a leak (I've already had a bunch of them).

Had a vacation day today and got pretty much of the front decking done. Still a few pieces to screw together. There will be a deck at the front that goes back over the seat and down the backside. Hatches will be up front on top for battery access / some storage and behind the seat for storage. hopefully, i can get this stuff done and ready to carpet before Saturday and the nice weather leaves again. Thanks for looking.

ftdeck3.jpg

ftdeck1.jpg

ftdeck2.jpg

Zum said:
Nice angles and cuts,looks good.

Thank You. The compound angles were a real pain (opps, challenge) :shock:
It's not perfect but everything gets covered up with the framing anyway.

Latest posts