Tough decision/need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is,i just don't want to make a close to 3k mistake though,you know what i'm saying?To many choices to pick from.I have a yamaha dealer in walking distance i went to today and i know them for a long time and they offered me a brand new 2014 20hp short shaft manual start yamaha for $2750+tax which is a great deal,Yamaha always comes out with there extra 2 yrs warranty, so i may wait till that happens if i go with the yamaha.The yamaha is a really sweet outboard,i have just gone away from it because i have been told by a few people they are dogs out of the hole.

I don't know how true that is but from all the videos i have seen on youtube it seems to have a ton of power.I wish i could just test all these motors to see what i like the best.I never thought this would be so hard.I know have the money but i just need to wait for the right deal and be patient.

I wonder how a 20hp yamaha would do on my 14ft lowe boat with 2 people.It has the largest displacement at 362cc's,my boat weighs 185lbs and is rated up to a 20hp.I'm starting to rethink this whole efi thing.I like the efi but other then having the motor stating easier what advantage would it have?As much as i'm going to use my boat(3 to 4 days a week)the carb will be spotless,plus i use ethanol free gas.Also in fl it doesn't get as cold as other places.I have never had an issue with any carbed motors starting in any kind of cold weather.We have been using carbed motors forever.

Like i said i'm just waiting for the promotions to come back with merc or yamaha or even suzuki,it will come back soon.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329841#p329841 said:
scoobeb » Yesterday, 17:30[/url]"]i found 2 mint,i mean mint freshwater 2003 25hp 2stroke mercs for sale by the same guy for only $1850

I'd grab the two mercs for $1850 and call it a day, that's a great deal.

I'd take a 25 HP 2-stroke over the 20 HP four, probably weigh less too.

I'm going tom morning to check out the 2 25hp mercs,if they check out i will buy one of them and save close to a grand.I hope there as nice as advertised.

Well i found out some news on the 25hp mercs,They are wisconsin freshwater motors and one is a 2001 and a 2003 short shafts manual starts.I still believe it may be better if i'm going to spend darn near 2k i may as well go new.

Ok i have decided to go with the 20hp 4stroke tohatsu,i found a brand new one for $2439 in the box with a 5yr warranty,i think thats the best deal on the planet.The 20hp has a massive amount of power to weight ratio.It's a super powerful motor for a 20hp 4stroke and will be more then enough for what i need,plusw how can i beat a 5yr warranty.The 20hp tohatsu/merc has the low end torque of a 2stroke,it may not be identical but it's darn close.

Go to youtube and punch in 20hp 4stroke merc or tohatsu(same motor)and watch it in action,it has a ton of power.

what boat are you putting it on? I have a grizzly 1448 side console and my merc 20 has a hard time with it. I had to put a transom riser on and try a couple props, it does ok now but still not impressed. it does get good fuel mileage and is super quite.

It's going on a 1436 lowe jon boat rated for a 20hp.I watched a video on youtube with a 15hp nissan on a brand new 1436 alumacraft and the boat was getting it,i mean flying.I'm going to have a 20hp on basically the same boat but i have a lowe 1436,it's the heavyweight edition,but it only weighs 185lbs,the boat it like a feather.The 20hp no matter what i get will make this boat fly i would think,i have been thinking the 25hp merc would just be to much power for it.I don't need a ski boat,lol.

I watched a video on youtube with the new tracker 16 pro.It had a 20hp merc on it and the guy said he thought he would only get about 12mph and he ran it for the first time in the water and he got 24mph,it even impressed him.That boat is way heavier then a grizzly 1448,that is odd you are having issues,There is also a 1544 monark all welded boat on there that weighs near your boat and it's scooting over 27mph across the water.What yr is your motor because i know the changed them a few yrs back,they use to be 323cc's with a dif gear ratio.

Here is what i'm also thinking,if i get the suzuki or any of these motors whats even the chance i will even use the warranty unless something goes really wrong,iv'e been told if an outboard makes it through the first yr with no issues then it will probally outlive the warranty no matter how long it is.I should just stick to my first instinct and get the light 106 lb electric start suzuki.Their promotion ends in 8 days so i'm just curious what the next one will be,who knows i may get lucky and they will extend the promotion and add the 15/20efi outboard again.

I will wait till the end of this month and if they don't then i will make a purchase in october.I may as well wait a few more days to see what happens,i'm in no rush.

My experience with the warranty was they found nothing wrong, so I had to pay $300 for them to diagnose. But the carb had been removed, other nuts had been taken off etc. Magically it goes 3 mph faster, starts easier and it hasn't acted up since. But they didn't find anything. So to me the warranty is only good for catastrophic failure

mine is a 2009 merc. elpt. its not bad but I am disappointed in the power. I have tried several props and the 4 blade 9 pitch seems to do ok.

Here is as question i hope someone can answer,when my 3yr warranty is up will suzuki give me a letter to get a few more yrs of warranty as an option?

Latest posts